Herbal wormers!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Apr 27, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....about a month ago I decided to give herbal wormers a try and started playing around with doing my own fecals......well, today I took fecals to my vet (I don't trust my fecals yet) on all 3 boys, with my new little guy I wanted to have my big boys checked as well......my vet called me and said he was happily surprised that nor Jake or Elwood had any worms or cocci to talk about...Jake had like 2 worm eggs and Elwood had one cocci.....I was sooo surprised myself as my boys are on a grassy lot and we have had lots of raining weather lately.....I don't know if the herbal wormers have anything to do with it but I will continue with them until I'm proven wrong......it is all natural stuff, so I can't see how it can hurt them. Murphy was clean for worms and had marginal cocci, vet figures his cocci numbers were a little up with all the stress of traveling and new home so we are treating him.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think herbals are great if you can keep up with the fecals... thats why I am trying to learn them myself.

Happy to hear the boys are doing good

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My vet gave me the counts on each boy and said to now do my fecals again and compare numbers.....I just can't totally be sure of what I'm looking at. My vet is also signing me up or a Famacha workshop in June.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is really neat Denise! I am too chicken to do my own fecals but really need to learn how. . . I go to read all the information on the websites and get overwhelmed! What solution do you use?

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am using the epsom salt solution....from what I have read it is the best, unless you order commercial solution......I also ordered the Mcmasters slide....it seems to make it easier to count eggs and that is what my vet uses.......I just keeping practicing.....my husband told me the other day that all I do is play with goat poop :ROFL: ! My vet tech told me that the more you do them the easier it gets to identify the eggs........she just had to do fecals on a herd of 100 cows! The farmer wanted a fecal on every animal! She said she had double vision bye the time she was done.
    What I am doing is keeping check on their eyelids and if I'm just not sure and they look pale then I take the fecals to my vet. I have found though that my two big guys eyelids are not as pink as the Famacha chart shows, my vet told me it is just my goats......they just aren't as rosey pink, they have never been since I brought them home a year ago.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup every goat has their own normal shade of pink. By checking often you learn what is normal and what isnt. Your boys are very lucky to have you :D