The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my goats had worms about 3 weeks ago. Treated one if them with ivomec inj by mouth the others safeguard 1 cc per 10 pounds. So my girl that is 43 pounds I did 5 cc. Treated them for 3 days then retreated in 14 days. Starting yesterday she was having loose stool and still today too. She looked really bloated today she is pregnant. U gave her baking soda and she actually ate it. My question is can I give her the herbal wormer I got from Hoegger? I would like to start all of them on it. I have one in milk and one pregnant.

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also when I first treated my girl I noticed that little white worms came out her rear end. Is this the round worm? Or tape worm? Is this normal too? I only had a fecal ran on the goat that had scours.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I can bring it in to the vet tomorrow. I seen the worms the 2nd day of her first deworming. Does that mean they were dieing?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I would not reccomend any herbal wormer unless it is from someone with a good herbal education. I have seen wormload come as a result of the Hoeger's wormer, and it gives the herbal wormers a bad name, unfortunately. Herbal worming is amazing and it does work, but only if you use the correct herbs, correctly. I'd reccomend Fir Meadow, my goats are healthier than they've ever been on it. Another one is Molly's, which is good, but not as effective so you have to watch their condition.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
IMO, if you want to use the Hoegger herbal, I would get this issue cleaned up with chemical wormers and then then use the herbal for maintenance. Or you can add in the herbal now but continue with chemical to get this problem fixed once you find out what it is.

Like Danielle said, the most effective is Fir Meadow and Mollys. Herbal wormers are a serious routine and you need to stay on top of the schedule and work them in the routine that you're supposed to in order for them to work at all. Even in some serious situations you may need chemical.

Hoeggers, in my understanding, doesn't seem like a treatment but a sort of light preventative. It will help prevent but it's not serious enough to take care of an issue and you still will need chemical wormers when you use it but it may lighten your load. It's not a 100% de-worming solution. If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me. That's just how I read the information about it and chose to do Mollys.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Get a fecal done first to include coccidia. You need to know what worms you are dealing with. Then treat appropriately.

I would probably do chemical first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts