Herd cry??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Okay, this will sound totally crazy unless somebody out there has also witnessed this but at 6:00 this morning I was awoken to a goat's cries. It jolted me awake. She would cry and everyone else began to answer. It sounded like one in pain, either physical or sorrowful, but frantic. I thought for sure my prego was in labor so I ran out. Prego was lying down and would start the sad cry, then the rest of the girls would answer. The doe who lost her baby a couple weeks ago even ran out of the shelter crying (sorry, only word to decribe it), looking around frantically. I did a quick head count and everybody was there and appeared fine. I started thinking something happened to one of the boys so I ran to the buck pen and both were fine, but whining back answering the first doe. What in the world?
    I'm back in the house and the prego is starting this chorus up again. I am completely stumped.

2. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    She is probably in labor. Might want to check her ligs.

3. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    When is she due? Keep an eye on her, she might also be feeling some interior movement and it is causing her discomfort. Are her ligs soft? Also make sure she has not aborted someplace ...lets hope not but cover all the bases.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree, when is she due? OR

"Hey girls, how fast can we get mom out here? Should we try"?

:laugh: Hey it worked. lol

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That could be... :laugh:

I agree.... I would check her ligs.... she is either uncomfortable or she is in actual labor and having problems...when is her due date?

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    It was labor! I fed everyone breakfast and they got quiet to I went back inside to catch another hour of sleep. That didn't happen before they started up again. Her estimated due date from the vet was July 17-August 7th, I think, and she was bred before she came. Guess I'll know what that means next time. :p
    And her ligs have been gone for about a week now, I think. She makes her own rules for sure.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep... thought that may of been it..... Your goats... were all a great help... in saying....hey ....there is a kid to be born.....I really get a kick out of the boers... they are very intelligent animals....in alot of different ways....as well as... other breeds of goats... :wink:
    Looks like..... the vet may of been a little off on the due dates.... or as you mentioned she has her own rules :p :laugh:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    cool yeah goats love torture. lol..

has she dropped a kid yet??

9. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I think it is more like they like to torture us a.... they sure know how :laugh:

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Our little buck's head is getting big, and he keeps getting himself stuck in the fence, just in the last few days. So everyone comes over to the gate to cry out for help. It's almost hysterical - all the girls at the fence, or standing nearby it, and Boe sitting limp in the fence waiting to be rescued...LOL

I love that they gather and become an 'alarm' when something is up. Very smart indeed.

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    another thing mine do it the sneeze of doom! one goat sneezes and BAM! get outta the way goat stampede.

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL!!! This happened to ours yesterday! Everyone except the herd queen were out grazing, I was out nearby trying to get a couple of pictures <hopelessly impossible yesterday!>, and One of the girls sneezed, and everyone else took off running right past me towards the barn, they stopped, looked around as if to say 'What was that?!?!?!' It was hilarious!

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Too funny! I think they are either sounding an alarm or all laughing at the victim in unison. :laugh: Maybe all the does this morning were crying out with her because they were afraid whatever was "attacking" her was going to get them next!
    And she had her little girl at 10:10 this morning. With the baby monitor on in my room, the war cry sounded like it was in surround sound.
    And what is it with bucklings and fences? Ours has done it twice now, and once had to cut him out. I'm thinking maybe the boys are a little slow to learn. :wink:

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL Must be a boy thing, because our girls dont typically put their head through the fence. He got caught 3 times yesterday! I usually just let him sit there <mean goat mom I know LOL>, but I want to see if he can figure it out, and if he can't then I'll help him. Hopefully he'll 'catch a clue' at some point soon!

And I couldn't imagine listening to that in surround sound LOL

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    So did she have the babies? Did I miss it somewhere?

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Yep, check out the waiting room thread and the birth announcements :)

17. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Re: Herd cry?? About getting stuck in fences

I have a doeling who got her head stuck in the fence 8 times in the same place before she quit it. She also got out and nearly got caught by my great dane, who has too much prey drive. She is a pistol.

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Re: Herd cry?? About getting stuck in fences

I am amazed, today he didn't get his head stuck in the fence! WOOHOO LOL
    I'm glad your doeling figured it out. I think Boe will figure it out soon, or at least I hope he will. Just to be expected of goats and fencing they can get their heads through.

19. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

My little doe is not getting her head stuck in the fence, she is getting it stuck in the hay feeder. I have never seen her try to get unstuck she just waits for me to come out when I do chores. I bet she stands in there for a couple hours while I am at work and never trys to get out.

20. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol sooo funny.. my goats do the sneezing when there's a stranger or a dog or something.. i remember when my boyfriend met the goats and said " babe i think they have allergies, they all keep sneezing" needless to say i was rolling

I also love playing the game of who is crying.. i know everyone by their cries for mooooooommmmaaa. bird is my favorite though sing b-b-b-birdbirdbird and you get a disgruntled maaaah, which translates into " im right here mom, stuck behind this stupid fence, what more do you want me to do?"