Herd goals?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Hi everyone, I was wondering what your goals are for your herds? And what your favorite lines and styles are?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    goals: to promote boer goats in alaska, show, and have fun.

favorite lines....i really like the EGGS lines, Sunshine boer goats, powell holman boers. and oh the list goes on!

style: thick and muscular - but not too heavy sos that their legs look short and stubby. but not tubular (yuck)

for dairy i really like looking at a wedge shaped doe, from side and top veiw. with a refined neck.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    My goals are to start DHI, Linear appraise, SHOW, SHOW, SHOW and improve the breed :thumb:

I like the smoothly blended does, with the wedge shape like AlaskaBoers said. And most of all I like balance and a dynamo udder!

My favorite lines is harder, I more have favorite goats then lines. But I do like the Lost Valley stuff........... Gosh this is hard! lol

4. Martha Moo

Martha Moo New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    We have Kinder goats for milk. We are breeding for ease of milking: large orifice, so the milk comes out easily and the teats don't get bulbous. The faster the milk comes out, the happier we are :shades:! I don't know if you'd call that a goal, but with our tiny herd (five goats) maybe the goal is to keep two in milk at all times. How about the goal is to break even? The goal is to keep getting up in the morning and milking the goats! The goal is to not let the jars pile up. The goal is to not run out of filters. How about being nice to the customers...........even if they don't return the jar lids.

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm with you there on that one Martha Moo! Except with Nubians. Also to add some better bloodlines and show animals to our heard. Might go 'goat shopping' on Sunday!

6. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    I'm right there with Martha also. My goal is to keep the min number of goats and get the max amt of milk lol. But I also want goats that have nice form- breed is less important, as long as they are pretty, hardy, and give great milk. One day my dd will probably be in 4-H (she loooooves animals), so it might be different then. Or, as the lady who gave me my buckling said, it can be hard to sell off mixed breed kids, so that might make a difference. Only time will tell!

7. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    My goal is to be the Pygora Breeder everyone talks about when referencing exceptional bloodlines, confirmation & high quality fleece!

Guess I should start with getting my does bred..... anyone want to join in on the hootchie walk?

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    LOL MissMM - Hootchie walk - I knew I would get you all started on that term!!! LOL! :ROFL: :ROFL:

9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    It is pretty "catchy." :ROFL:

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, I started typing my post last night but forgot about it and the computer re-booted itself during the night. . . . :roll: So, that's gone.

We plan to show next year and would love to participate in LA. We want to improve everything in the udder department. For the does of ours with already nice udders, solidify those good traits and the does of ours that need some improvement, fix them good. ;) Our does all have nice general appearance so just keep that and strengthen those traits.

We are breeding for a productive Nigerian Dwarf goat with correct conformation, lovely, well-attached mammaries, and sweet personalities. We'll see how close we get to that. . . . . ;)