Herd Guardians?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SterlingAcres, Feb 5, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    How many of you have them, what do you have and why?

I've seen coyote tracks around the back acreage this past week and am considering a guardian for the new barn once we have more room... coyotes make me nervous for my farm :sigh:

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

If you have coyotes near you, a guardian would be a good idea.

Llamas are good, I have alpacas but just for pets.
    You could also do livestock dogs, they are pretty good also

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We have two Great Pyrs- since we have TONS of coyotes in this area. We heard a pack of them one night running along the backside of the property and we thought that was way too close for comfort and started our search the next day for our guard dogs

I love them- they are great- luckily we dont have TOO many neighbors that are right close by, because they bark, and bark, and bark all night long at any threat/noise/smell they don't like.

But- while the coyotes still do come close to the property- we haven't had any issues with them *knock on wood* and in fact, one day one of our Pyrs got out and went after a coyote we didnt even know was there, we are pretty sure she killed it, and she came back very proud of herself.

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I have both actually..... Athena, my Great Pyr, is in with the Does and Lady, my guard llama is in the pen with the bucks on the opposite side of the barn. She is wonderful too & I know if she let out enough of a warning, Athena would charge right over her fence to see what's up on the other side.

This is a pic of Athena on her day off..... watching TV

Lady has about doubled in size in the year I've had her.

Attached Files:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have a Anatolian...LGD ...he has kept away.. alot of critters... :wink: :greengrin:

Remember... that coyote's are very smart ........while one coyote is dragging away the LGD ...because he is doing his job and trying to get the coyote away from the goats... another may be grabbing a goat kid.... be careful... you may need 2 LGD's to prevent that tactical move..... :wink: :hug:

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I had enough trouble trying to train our regular house dog... I don't think I'm good with dogs :x

If something did charge the fence, would a llama or alpaca fend it off? What about a donkey? I'm open to any suggestions along those lines, but I don't think DH would let me take another 2 dogs in when I just re-homed a Chow mix that liked to kill cats :roll: Like I said, rotten luck with dogs.

7. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
  8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Theres coyotes here too. But the first yr we had our Anatolian he was in a pen next to the goats.
    Woke up one morning he was IN with them. Couple days later a neighbor said a cougar had been spotted.
    We just added another one for the tactical reasons of preditors.
    And my dog trained me!
    The pup is 3/4 Anat & 1/4 Pyr. He barks alot. But the pitch is not annoying at all.

9. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    We have coyotes, but they don't seem to come too close since my Aussie roams the fields during the day (marking every possible corner!)... so far her presence has discouraged theirs (knock on wood). I also just got 2 male alpacas in trade for a ram, and I know they aren't as big or fierce as llamas but they have been aggressive with dogs other than mine, and with two of them I think they make a decent guardian pair. They hang out just outside the goat pens (which have stronger fencing than the rest of the property), and they also have great personalities... and the softest fleece ever :)

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    LGDs require a lot of work and training and some don't even turn out. I have had one that killed baby goats and I just talked with a guy who had one attack his chickens one day and then bit the guy when he slapped the dog disciplining it when he caught it killing chickens, mine was an akbash, this guy I talked with had two pyrenees...one dog worked the other didn't, he called it a killing machine. So a lot turn out great, but some just don't work out even with proper training.

I have heard *some* donkeys and mini donks are awesome guardians, but again, it's hard to tell if they're actually going to guard goats when you go to purchase one.

Llamas are probably one of the most used, but a lot don't guard, or don't guard well and a llama can't take on a pack of feral dogs.

I think if you've really got a coyote problem then electric fencing would help, if you keep it low to the ground, but they may be able to out smart it. If you keep looking you might find some kind of good guardian whether it be a mini donk, mini horse(yes some of them are nasty little dog hating things) lol or a llama. Good luck!

11. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    An easier approach might be allowing some hunters to eliminate or at least put a dent in the coyote population. If you talk to some people you should be able to find some polite and ethical hunters who are willing to work by your terms. This would not cost you a dime and in the long run would probably be the best option.

Evan

12. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I agree ENC oftentimes it is easier and even more ethical to thin the natural predator populations where legal. I would consider a well placed bullet a more humane death over a long slow starvation or worse, a death by unethical trappers.

13. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    I don't have a problem with trappers, most of them are just at ethical/unethical than any other bunch. The only problem with trapping is normally you don't have the species selectivity that a hunter does. If you are only trying to depress coyote populations (which are at all time highs country wide), you don't need to be killing coons, opossums, skunks, and anything else looking for a free meal.

To many hunters coyotes are just a so called target of opportunity. However, there are plenty of people all over this country that like to hunt coyotes and some of them are very good at it. Just be willing to have some conversations at length with anyone you are willing to let on your property. I personally feel that most of America has a lack of top predators and feel that hunting has a necessary place in society as population management for wild species. In the south many people who were anti hunting are seeing the light as the population of wild/feral pigs grows.

Evan

14. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Oh I've got no problems shooting them myself. lol I'd just feel better knowing I had a guardian, just in case. You know?

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i have geese.. they work formy situation. i have to worry about med/small dogs nad smaller things like weasles ect

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i have one great pyr. x maremma, awesome dog
    she's chased off bears, moose, other dogs, cats (lol), ravens (eyeing the kids), and people.
    We really didn't train her per say, she was always raised with livestock, and just adopted them as her own. though most dogs will need training.

17. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Besides the issues I have with my own dogs ...GRRRRR .... the biggest threat here is the neighborhood dogs that everyone just lets run loose. We at least have our yard enclosed for them to run in, everyone else is just content to let their dogs run loose and do whatever, whereever they please. Luckily for us, our electric fence has done a decent job of keeping them away but right now of course, the fence is out. ::sigh::