Herd info- Who to contact

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by marie_martin, Nov 5, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    I am researching my goats pedigrees and am having trouble finding some herd owners or websites. Anyone know anything about any of the following herds or who to contact. I figure it is a place to start. You can look at the website for the full names of the goats in question, but here are some of the herd names:

Milky Whey, Little Rascals, Care A Lot, Woodhaven Farms, Munchranch, Enchanted Ways, Mtn. Retreat, and Oak Ridge Farms

Thanks a bunch.

Marie

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What I was able to gather on pedigree's...I had help from a member on GW....other than that(for the life of me I can't remember who!?) I did a Yahoo search on the names and just went from there...thats how I found the site of Piddlin Acres and was emailed a pic of Geronimo...my bucklings GR-GR-GR-Grandsire! It was and still is a good bit of searching but at least this way if I couldn't find the exact goat...I found siblings and "children" of the sires and dams.

3. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    That is kind of what I am running into. I am finding lots of info on some and none on others but may find brothers or sisters etc. I have emailed Dotty Clark at the NDGA since they are all registered there and hopefully I can get some info from her. Thanks so much for any help you guys can provide. I just don't even know who owns the farms such as Milky Whey, from what I have found the lady no longer has goats? But she may be able to help me find info on who owns some of the grandsires, etc. And I can't find websites for any of those listed. So any contact info or anything would be great. Thanks.

Marie

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
  5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Munchranch, Milky Whey and Mtn. Retreat have no site. Milky Whey use to but it went down last year. Sometime's googling the goat's name will yeild some info but it often means a lot of time, patience and digging.

6. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Thanks girl. That is what I have been doing and I found lots of info on Siliver but he is already AGS registered. I just have to try to get the others done before deciding whether to sell them. I just love them so much. But if they can't produce show babies, then I might as well have unregistered. Not that I have a problem with that. I do have some, but I was trying to get into the registered show goats. I will keep looking. Thanks for your help and the link.

Marie

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    any registered goat can be shown. it isn't the name behind them that makes them show worthy. Let each goat prove themselves.

If the goats you are breeding are built well confirmation wise then they have a chance in the show ring, every goat does.

8. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    I agree

That should be the rule, but unfortunately it is not. If you don't meet certain criteria, you can't register your goats, and if you can't register them you can't show them. The AGS was very clear that if I can't get my goats parents registered, which would mean going way back and trying to get all the previous ancestors registered. They do not accept NDGA registration. So I would have to spend the time and money to go back and try to register all the ancestors or spend money to try and register them with like the CGS first and then maybe could get them into AGS and then ADGA. Lots of red tape and not sure it will be worth it in the long run. So that is why I say, it may be better just to get AGS registered goats. I think it is rediculous but I don't make the rules.

Marie

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh I see now. So you personally are registering all these other people's goats as AGS so that your goats can be transfered in? that seems rediculous.

can't you just register the kids from NDGA parent into AGS?

Where did you get your information from?

10. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    I got the info from AGS. I have not tried to register any of them yet, I am still researching and trying to find owner info. But I have realized that I think it is just going to be too costly and too much trouble. I don't understand it either. But like i said, they make the rules. And the ADGA shows here don't have where you can just show without being ADGA/AGS registered. I wish someone would explain it to me better too. They have explained it but it still makes no sense.

Marie

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My 2 ND are registered in AGS and NDGA...Chief was registered NDGA first after I got him and then AGS after I got the papers back from NDGA....his parents are registered though...so are you saying that the parents of the goats you wish to register are not registered?

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try pming goatsinSC or depnigerians or bigoakfarm. All of which show and should be able to shed some light on this issue for you.

13. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Well I own a buck out of a Jesta Farm Buck. I searched Jesta Farm on Google. Found the site and looked around. Saw my buck's sire's/dam's and on back in the pedigree. They didnt' have pictures up of a few of them so I contacted them by email! Wohoo she'll send me the pictures when she has time. :D

14. debpnigerians

debpnigerians New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    north central Texas
    Woodhaven Farms, Mountain Retreat and I believe Care-A-Lot have all gotten out of goats. I think Little Rascals may have too but I cold be wrong so don't quote me on it. The others I don't know about.
    The registration situation for Nigerian Dwarfs is really....well.....let's just say it ain't a pretty sight. Under certain circumstances NDGA will still accept AGS paperwork to register a goat, but AGS won't accept NDGA's. As far as I know ADGA is still accepting AGS paperwork and AGS is still accepting ADGA, but ADGA is talking about not accepting AGS papers much longer. But as far as Twin Creeks TA Cajun Thunder that Marie and I have been talking about, he is AGS and NDGA registered. I believe the goat she has - or at least one of them - is Cajun's grandson. So she would only have to pay for 2 generations.....her goat and it's sire, Cajun's son. I THINK. :confused:

15. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info.

Deb P, the buck I have that is kin to your Cajun is the one that Chrisi did get registered with AGS. So I only have to work on the two girls, Betcha Can and Pooky and the little buckling, Sam. When I bought the goats from her, she was not AGS registered but is now. But from what I understand, you have to go back further than the parents with AGS. If you could have a look at my site you may be able to tell me who owns some of them since you and Chrisi are in the same circles and seem to share some blood lines. I would appreciate anything you can do. When Chrisi gets done with the Shreveport show I am going to get her to help if she can. I am not going to spend a ton to do this considering it would be less costly to just sell what I have and purchase other goats, but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. Not right now.

I did find some info and I am trying to figure out a system to plug the info into in order to keep up with all the bits and pieces until I can put it all together. I found a lot more info on my buck who is already AGS registered.

AGS will not accept NDGA papers and that is where the problem is. If there were NDGA shows here I would not even worry about it. I would have to sell the goats to someone who only shows NDGA and that will be hard here since the shows are ADGA/AGS. But I guess I can try to sell them out of state? I just don't know what option I have. I am probably going to end up starting over and I don't look forward to that. I will have to do research about pedigrees of any goat I want to purchase? So Why not spend a litte time trying to fix what I already have for now, right?

If anyone is associated with either of these registries, you can jump in any time and try to help or explain to me why this is a problem. Thanks.

Feel free to email me or use PM if you guys would rather. I don't want to take up alot of space on this or offend anyone unintentionally.

Marie

16. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    RESPONSE from AGS

I asked them to have a look at my goats pedigrees and see if they could help me and here is what I got:

Chrisi's Critters Betcha Can
    Sire is not registered; dam is not registered
    sire's sire is not registered; sires dam is not registered
    dams sire is D-8340h; dam's dam is D-4374

Chrisi's Critters Pookey
    Sire is D-16945; dam is not registered
    dam's sire is D-7489; dam's dam is not registered

Lonesome Sam
    Sire is not registered; dam is D-19693
    sire's sire is D-16945; dam is not registered

All herdnames in the pedigrees are registered with AGS.

In order to register Betcha Can the sire and both his parents would have to be registered if they can be. The dam would also need to be registered which can be done as both parents are AGS registered.

In order to register Pookey the dam would have to be registered if she can be. The grand dam on the sires side would have to be registered if she can be.

Without the information on the great grandparents I wouldn't be able to tell you if the missing animals can actually be registered or not.

If you can get that information we can look them up and see exactly what it would cost to get these three animals registered.

Does not look hopeful. I think I will just leave it alone and eventually sell what I have and start over. I don't know. I am so saddened by this I may not do anything. Just sell them and not have goats. I never knew there was such crap involved in it and I think it just ruins my experience. Anyway, thanks for trying to help you guys.

Marie

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    don't give up - someone out there maybe interested in your NDGA registerd goats.

Maybe even going to a NDGA show (yes I know none are near you) so that you can sell them as having already been shown.

18. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Thanks

Thanks stacey, you are so sweet. I appreciate your support. I will have to think about it for now and try to find what info I can. If anyone here knows anything about the herd's listed or who to contact, that would be helpful.

Milky Whey
    Penchant Ways
    Care A Lot

Anything. Thanks.

Marie

19. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Hi Marie,
    I've been in the same spot. I even owned AGS does closely related to the NDGA does I was trying to get AGS papers on but it only takes ONE owner somewhere along the line who didn't maintain that AGS reg. to stop you cold. Woodhaven, Penchant Ways and Lil Rascals all had AGS registered goats so evidently the goats you are looking for lost their AGS registration at some point AFTER they were sold by the breeders you are looking for. Those breeders can't give you a registration application on a goat someone else bought from them no matter how badly they want to help out. If that goat left their herd and they don't know exactly where it is now, their hands are tied. And, believe me, I know how frustrating that is because some of those NDGA only goats are closer to the foundation goats (and the body style that I personally prefer) than any other herd is nowadays - but if you are serious about showing and selling kids for the show ring your best bet is to start over. :(

Good Luck!
    Kristen

20. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    I am starting to agree with you. It is somewhat rediculous but it looks like I don't have much choice. I will wait to hear from the previous owner and see if she has any info, but I don't think it will matter much. In spring when I first mentioned it to her, she was not AGS registered. She did register with them and actually went back on my buck and got him registered but said she was not sure if she could do anything on the others. But she may have just not wanted to spend the money. So I am going to see if she has the info and if she knows who the owners are or were and then if it wont cost too much I will get them done. I figure that right now, if I sell these goats, I will have to basically sell them for the same price as my unregistered goats because no one here shows NDGA? So if I can spend a little on each one to get them AGS registered, it might be worth it if I could then sell them or the babies for quite a bit more? That is what I am trying to weigh out right now. But I am coming to terms with the fact that I might have to sell my $300 doe (that is what I paid for Pooky) for the price of an unregistered goat. Boy that burns my butt. But what can you do right? Thanks again.

Marie