Herd is finally complete!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Apr 2, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So I finalized a few things last night and finally have my herd exactly where I want it for my intentions of the ranch.

Here is the breakdown - please tell me what you think

Registered Nigerian Does -
    China - white/gold
    Blanca - white / black around BLUE eyes
    Joy- Buckskin
    Ginger - red roan (not sure what it is called in the goat world)

Registered Nigerian Bucks -
    Gabe - White/gold
    Joe Dirt- tri colored
    Carmel - light tri color (son of Joe)

Unregistered Nigerian Doe -
    Moon - black and white

Unregistered Pygmy Does -
    Daisie- black white frosting
    Chloe- light cream / black

Boer X Does -
    Boots - 50% Saanen 50% Boer
    Lola- 25% Saanen 75% Boes

Boer X Buck -
    Little Guy - 90% Boer 10% Spanish (red/white)

Wethers -
    Edward - chocolate
    Saki - White with black around eyes

I am trying to trade my last AGS buckling for another AGS buckling from a different line to keep or sell him.
    Also, I have 2 wethers that I am trying to place in a home (not the 2 listed above)

So what do you all think?
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    sounds like a full house!

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I wish I could make up my mind and have a "set" plan. Sounds like you've got yours in order. :)
  4. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I agree, SGM. Every time I think I've gotten exactly the goats I NEED, I see one more I HAVE to add. Then, when I finally get all the goats I HAD to have, I feel like if I don't start cutting back some of them will suffer for lack of attention or just because it gets to be too many. Then, I have all the goats I NEED except for that one or two more I HAVE to have......it's a vicious cycle. LOL :ROFL:

Allison- It's great that you have set goals (and already reached them) for your herd. :greengrin: Sounds like a great plan to me!

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Of course once the babies are born - you know I may keep a couple registered does - specially if I get some blue eyes!! Woo Hoo!!

I am trying to trade one of my Bottle Babies for another buckling so that I have different lines to choose from for breeding - so we will see how that goes!
  6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    That sounds like a plan - why did you keep the ones you did? Is it for self-suffeciency or do you plan to sell pets?
    Anyway I really glad Joe Dirt doesn't live near me or I would be force by circumstances beyond my control to buy some of his babies- lol.
  7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have a plan. But it is top secret, if I told you I would have to.....um.... you get the picture :greengrin:

Thats great you have a plan! Everyone needs a plan and to set goals. :idea:
  8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ETR - are you asking about the unregistered does that I kept?

I kept the 3 unregistered does because I have so many people that are wanting babies, but want unregistered, and for some reason they LOVE pygmy around here..... so I kept the two does (might end up selling off one) but Dasie pygmy is "my girl" that goat will never go anywhere. The unregistered Nigerian is the little doeling that was the first one born on the ranch and almost froze to death.

The 2 wethers that I kept, I made a promise that I would keep them, and actually those two are so sweet and layed back I don't mind.

The bucks - I LOVE Joe -and his son just stole my heart, yet I didn't have the heart to wether him. Funny enough - all the kids that have been sired by Joe, have had the BEST temperment of all the babies that I have had this year. I am not sure if that is coincidence or what - but.......
  9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    My plan changes from time to time as my goals change. When I originally got my first two goats it was brush control. Then I got my first registered goats and it was blue-eyes and pretty goats. Then I learned about pedigrees and quality and now my goals are superior show goats with excellent milking udders. I have been striving to perfect my herd and we're getting there! Now my main goal is to retain my own kids and prove them and my bucks. :) As for herd size, that's never set in stone here. I'm always going over my mark or sitting under it.
  10. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Same here, about herd size. I am trying to keep my buck number low so I can get some +'s on them whan I put their daughters on DHI. And so I can show them, and retain more daughters if my buck herd is smaller.
  11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    Sounds great...I wish I could have a complete herd...I feel that I need more goats though... :roll:
  12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Sounds like you've got everything set up right :)

If I didn't have parents I think I'd go overboard and never be able to 'complete' my herd, LOL :D
  13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is how I feel - except it is IF I didn't have a hubby - LOL!

We will see what will happen when my registered does have their kids this summer how many I keep - LOL!!!
  14. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    For what you want to do with your herd that sounds great!!! :greengrin:

Our goals for our herd has changed SOOOO much! First Mom only ever wanted 4-6 milkers and ABSOLUTELY NO BUCKS! And we weren't going to show only at our county show(4-H and open). Then we decided we would get more and more serious about showing. Got a nicer American Nubian doe in the summer of '06....and voila! Purebred Nubian doeling AND buckling last spring! Also got another Purebred doe last summer. This spring we are getting two more bucks and two more does. We don't really have a set number...just don't run out of room! :slapfloor:

So this year our goal has been met for goats that we want...and then some! We still have to sell some though.
    Purebred Bucks:
    Hoanbu Easy Money '08 Buckling
    Quarter Mile Laredo '08 Buckling *One of the two "and then some" goats*

Purebred Does:
    Copper-Hill Bella '04 Doe
    Quarter Mile Faylin's Flicka '07 Doe
    Quarter Mile Just Fooled You '07 Doe *The other "and then some" goat*
    Seigneur Farms CS Brooklyn '08 Doeling
    Hoanbu Possibly Perfection '08 Doeling

American Does:
    Spring-Blossoms WPMist Liberty '06 Doe
    Dover Farms CS Meadow Lark '08 Doeling

Recorded Grade Does:
    Seigneur Farms Precious '05 Doe
    Seigneur Farms CS Pandora '08 Doeling

And we have two retired does.
  15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    since we are talking about goals........

I just got a reply e-mail from the owner of the herd pocketsized and she is going to show me the ropes per say about showing! I am estatic beyond words. I knew that showing was something I wanted to do but I wouldnt' be able to do it without some direction. I think she is the lady to do just that! She said I can come and help - get down and dirty. And maybe she can tell me if Sweet Pea has potential or not.

Oh and maybe JUST maybe I can convince my parents that 2 more goats wouldn't be such a bad idea (of course the bigger barn would need to be built) as I would like to add two registered does to the herd.

Once I get showing maybe they will cave :D

I get more people interested in the unregistered goats but boy it is tiresome telling people off when they have no clue and dont' want to listen to you. So I figure that someone interested in a more expensive goat would know what to do or be willing to listen.

Not that I will stop breeding my unregistered ones, they need to help earn their keep.
  16. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    That is great! My goals as far as what I want my herd to become. I am wanting to go on DHI sometime in the next two years. I want to SHOW, SHOW, SHOW! And get my animals scored to really know their potential.

Stacey that is great that she will coach you in showing! I met her at Nationals last year.