Herd Name help!!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by farmgirl1, Apr 12, 2010.

1. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Ok well I LOVE the name Sleepy hollow Farms for my herd name I was just going to get. And now I just found out that in AGS there is a Little Sleepy Hollow :cry: . Can I still use Sleepy Hollow farms?? Please be honest and not just say I can because you feel bad or something, I really want the name but I want to be respectful to the person that has it. :shrug:

2. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Our herd name is Maple Hill Farm. I'm SURE there are TONS of variations on that name within the herd books, but that particular variation belongs to us. I don't think using a variation of another name is disrespectful. I wouldn't feel bad if someone else named their farm "Little Maple Tree" or "Maple Leaf Farm" or "Little Maple Hollow" (Hmmm, I kinda like that one...) :wink: I can't really answer for the person who owns the Little Sleepy Hollow name, because it's not mine. But, in my opinion, you're not being disrespectful to them by naming your farm Sleepy Hollow Farms.
    Does anyone out there have another perspective on this? I'd like to hear it, too.
    -Tina

3. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Ya, I loved that name and felt like it was the one (I love the legend of sleepy hollow). If it turns out I can't then I will probably do something creative with something from the harry potter books. But I hope I can keep the name

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats 18 letters and spaces which only leaves 11 spaces for names

and I think you are better off finding something unique and that sets you apart.

I have a doe "little sleepy H Sweet Pea" which is a variation of Sleepy Hollow because if you go to the breeders website its Little Sleepy Hollow even though the herd name is only "Little Sleep H"

It would get confusing with two sleepy Hollows in one state. So I suggest you find something different. But I know how it is when you are set on something.

5. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Do you have to include farms in the name? Or can it be like Sleepy Hollow's Waffle??

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you pick the herd name and it has to be in the goats name. So if you picked Sleepy Hollow Farm then it will need to include "farm" but if you want your farm to be called Sleepy Hollow Farm and you get a website that says sleepyhollowfarm thats ok you can still do a shortened version of it

Say you want Sleepy Hollow THAT BAD then condense it to SHF as your herd name and then on your site or how ever you advertise you can still be Sleepy Hollow Farm

There is a member here with a herd name SGM but her farm name is Sweet Gum Minis

My farm name is End of the Line farm. My herd name is End of the Line

7. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    I'm sorry if I get annoying but does that mean I should or shouldn't use my name and if I can than can I use Sleepy Hollow Farms or should I use SHF??? I'm just confused by it.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont recommend you use Sleepy Hollow Farms - that leaves you with little spaces to work with for names plus it is a known name of other herds and even one in NJ already.

I doubt you will be able to get it but you might. I think you will regret it later.

Think on SHF its just the herd name and you can have any farm name you choose -- But thats up to you.

Do you have an AGS herdname book or an ADGA one too?

9. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    I have an AGS book. That is where I found little sleepy hollow

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok there is a Sleepy-Hollow in the ADGA book

11. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Oh... Where are they located, I may not do adga. Does it still matter if I don't do that and there is a sleepy hollow in it?

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    um I think you need to contact the registries themselves to make sure - the books arent alwasy complete plus they will determine if they will allow a name that is similar

13. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I know there is a Redneck Acres out there-think it's registered with AGS or the Boer goat registry and I use that herd name with ADGA. Whatever you choose-make it unique and something short so you can use long names if you want. My folks always wish they would have chosen a shorter herd name than they did.

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I know the the AGS you can't just add or subtract farm, acres, barn, ect in a herd name to make it your own. Like say someone has ABC, you can't have ABC farm, or ABC Acres.

15. Well, just wanted to add. What if you had that name first and someone else decided to use it? It would not be real cool at all. It is my opinion, but you should find something that is special to you. Like GrayRobin, our last names are gray and robinson. We found something that was special to us and went from there. I would be VERY upset if someone took it. Another friend of mine has an Over EZ acres and has had it over 20 years. Then someone in the same breed started over easy acres. Trust me many people, not just one was not real happy about it. Personally I want folks to remember me so I try and be different. Like my first name. It is John, years ago I decided everyone was John and I added my middle name John-Derek. Just my thoughts.

As for redneck acres there is also one in the Myotonic registries.

16. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    First off, kudos to you for thinking of the respectful part. :wink:

I think it is very important to be respectful of names that are similar and already selected.

Try to think of something that is unique, even though you really like Sleepy Hollow.

Have you made a list of everything you like, it might help you come up with another idea?

17. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Maybe that's where I saw it-........But i'm the only one in ADGA ;-) and MDGA...Of course i'm not in the minis anymore but still have a few Redneck Acres minis out there.

18. Yea, it is not so bad if you are in a different breed all together but in the same breed would be upsetting for someone. In the case I was talking about there could be goats that come from one farm that are not good for breeding etc and it is mistaken for a farm that has been building their herd for years. It could also work the other way around and hurt ones own farm. However, there is a HUGE difference in Myotonics and LaManchas so that make a lot of since not to be worried about that one. HEHE

19. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    I have another name that I came up with. Someday Soon Acres... or Farms. Which do you like best?? When I come up with alot of names I will put up a poll. But for right now Someday Soon Acres or Someday Soon Farms?? :scratch:

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for the herd name I would stick with Someday Soon adding acres or Farms just elongates the name