Herd queen becoming mean

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Feb 28, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Our herd queen Tracy, a 2 1/2 year old bred Toggenburg has suddenly become mean to her pen mates. She won't let them in the goat house, she stands at the doorway and head buts anyone who comes near it. She also chases them away from 4 to 5 different piles of hay. She has never been what you would call tame and nice mannered but she was civil toward the other goats. Shes not due until April if she settled (looks like shes maybe carrying a single) so I don't think shes getting antsy about an impending birth. I could pet her until a couple days ago and now I can't. She will chew on my fingers if I hold them out and will take feed from my hand but that's all. Shes been butting and tearing after the known bred Nubian for no reason I can see. I am not able to separate them right now as I do not have another shelter and its snowing like crazy. The other goats are standing under the roof of the carport the goat house is under but its kinda small for 3 good sized goats. Any advice on how to handle this situation. The worst part of the situation just started this morning and has not gotten any better as the day has gone on.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    when you want them to go in at night....is there enough room in the goat pen...to make a separate stall for her ....so the other goats can get in and she will be somewhere that she cannot bother the other goats...at night ?
    make shift a stall out of....
    hog panel or something like that...or pallets... :wink:

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Nope. DH said he was going to try and make another shelter in the pen for those that got left out. He was going to start this yesterday and then there was a wreck in front of my house involving our brick mailbox. We were out there for 5 hours with sheriff and the kid involved. Brick mailboxes and new trucks do not mix but the kid is fine. Now its snowing to beat the band and shes being mean. The goat house is an open structure that's about 10x10. Only the 3 does use it. As soon as this snow stops he has to get started on the new shelter. I don't understand why shes become mean all of a sudden.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sounds like my Sophie. She will stand at the door and just look at everyone. She fights everyone and butts everyone. When I lock them in the barn at night if the weather is bad, I know they will work it out. Mine all have horns also.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry you do not have that option... :( ....I have a doe like that to...but I have a stall to put her in......

hope your project is up and running for next winter... :wink:

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Things will be a lot different before then. Soon they will have 1 1/4 acres to graze and forage on instead of just the 1/4. New fence and several shelters for them. I went out a bit ago and she has let them come in out of the weather. I guess she felt sorry for them with all the snow. I think we've gotten 4" since noon. Calling for 3 more.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that will be so wonderful for you.... :greengrin:

I am glad the meany let them in.....sounds really cold...brrrrrrr

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    eventually the does stuck outside get cold enough to brave the mean goat and the mean goat decides she wants to lay down and guarding the door isnt worth it. They love to be extra mean when you are watching - not exactly sure why. If I watch from afar my meanie is much better then when I am around.