The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what number do you think goats begin to feel like a herd? I saved up for Boer goats and got two wonderful does. The are are so sweet and I love them! One is pregnant and due on Jan 9, doing very well so far. The other is being bred right now. I went over to visit her today and she was laying down with the other 10 does being bred right now and she had her eyes half closed chewing her cud with a very content look on her face. I am just saying, she never did that at home. She was always concerned about the next time I would be out to see her, she and her doe mate both walked around much of the time looking a little lost and nervous about when their people would return. How many goats does it take to make them chill and just feel safe and happy without me being out there with them? Anyone every noticed an ideal number that is small but big enough to make the goats feel happy and content?

· Registered
1,694 Posts
For me it seemed like 3 was the ideal number. At 2 goats my doe and her daughter were doing well, but when I got a third they really started going farther out in the pasture and doing more. They finally acted like they had herd.

I think I could have easily still had a happy tiny herd with just two goats, but I opted for a third because at kidding time they would need to be split up. And, if I did that someone would be all alone. Mine were plenty happy and relaxed at 2, but enjoy the company of a third.

· Registered
2,996 Posts
It depends on the goat. I have a doe who's pretty independent; when I got her it was just her and her two babies and she was pretty content. She doesn't bond with the rest of my herd. I think if she had at least one of her own kids she'd be fine. Two others are sisters and they definitely want each other around, but look up to the independent one even if she's bossy to them. I think she makes them feel secure.

· The goat saleswoman & encyclopedia
21 Posts
Depends on the age of the goat, too. The oldest doe usually takes the lead role (in the wild, she would be the one who knew the good and bad plants, and the best eating, drinking and salt lick places), and if you have very young does, they probably will take a couple years for one to be comfortable in her role. It sounds to me like they are seeing you as the herd queen, and not liking the responsibility of assuming that role themselves, so are understandably upset that you leave.

My 9 year old doe is comfortable in her lead role (makes a great trail boss, too...she's got a GPS in her head...), regardless of how many (although I usually have 4-6 adults). When I split my herd in two this summer, with two younger does and a sheep in the 2nd herd, the 2 year old would do fine as queen until she saw me outside, and then she'd demand I come over and take the herd queenship back. If I combined the two herds, the 2 year old would immediately hand the reins over to the 9 year old (also her dam). She's doing better now, but she is also a more nervous doe that her dam is, so it'll take her longer to settle in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.