The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you test your herd for CAE, CL and Johnes every year? Or once you test everyone once are you good as long as any new goats come from tested herds? Also, do you have your vet do blood draws and send it in for testing? Or do you do it yourself?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
No testing here. Mainly because I really can’t afford to test EVERY goat EVERY year. But after some thinking I’ve decided to start testing new and keeper kids (when old enough). But not yearly.
I can draw blood so I’m going to do it on my own. That was another hang up on testing for me, I didn’t know how to before and to get a vet out here is a arm and a leg

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I test yearly. We didn’t used to, and we had two positives sneak through and infect a bunch of kids before we caught them. Now, it was simple how and when they got it and we will never let that happen again, but I just fear there could be some other way they could possibly get it that maybe we aren’t seeing right now. So for peace of mind I test yearly.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We test yearly unless we don’t breed. We take our girls to the bucks to breed. As we don’t have a buck. We are a closed herd.

But yes normally we test yearly. We have a vet tech in our area who does blood draws. She takes blood and we send it in. So no vet. Cheaper. Which is a blessing!

·
Registered
842 Posts
We test so nothing sneaks in on us. This past year I learned how to draw my own blood so that was much cheaper. We also don’t run a large herd (last year we had 10 adults to test). I don’t plan on adding any outside goats this year but will still test all adults. A lot of the people who buy our kids want to know they come from a tested negative herd.

·
8,163 Posts
Ideally, they should be tested yearly, and everytime they go to a show. But, who can afford that?
I had my herd entirely tested 3 years ago, test any new animals (kept isolated from herd for 2-4 months) and only test does of kids I'm selling as registered. Buck kids going for sale barn or private sale don't get tested. Way too expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts