The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions about testing our herd for diseases and such. We are a relatively closed herd, with just a few goats that show once or twice, and they are segregated (they are market projects). We want to get our goats tested for a few things this summer to be more confident and safe in the health of our herd.

What should we test for? I already plan on doing CAE for them, but that is all I am sure of.

Should we test for CL even if the goats have never had abscesses?

We have Nubians and Boers, do they get tested for the same things?

And finally, we don't draw blood ourselves, so does the vet come out and do it, and send off the tests? How much does that usually cost?

Thanks in advance! :D

·
1,983 Posts
We test for CAE, CL, Jhones NH is Brucilociss and TB free. We do our own blood draws so I can't attest to the cost of the vet doing it, but doing our own cuts into our checkbook quite a chunk.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My vet quoted me $33/goat for both the CAE & CL tests combined which I thought was a good price. That was if he was doing the blood drawing. I'm sure I could draw my own(I'm a nurse) so it might be even cheaper. :D

·
1,983 Posts
My vet quoted me $33/goat for both the CAE & CL tests combined which I thought was a good price. That was if he was doing the blood drawing. I'm sure I could draw my own(I'm a nurse) so it might be even cheaper. :D
Heck yeah you could do it cheaper through WADDL. Just get some red tops to ship it in. The jugular is nice and fat. We have a few goats that still roll on us a bit. I would recommend butterflies instead of drawing with a syringe.

·
2,203 Posts
Your best bet is to have a good knowledgable Friend come and help draw. Test Johne's, CAE, as well as CL. Those are your basic tests.

We use WADDL.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've watched some videos. I'm feeling confident about doing it. I might have everything ready then have my horse vet maybe do my buck while doing horse west nile shots just to see it done in person. Then I'll do the rest of the herd when she leaves and send them all in together

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think $33/head is pretty competitive with that.....i contemplated doing it myself

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
This is great! I thoughts was looking at an old thread, but this is better! I was wondering all the same things.What does " ten dollars for the batch" mean?
My dad hates poking needles in the goats, so I guess I would have to learn how to do it.:blue: What kind of containers would we need to send it in?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My vet quoted me $220 a goat for CAE and CL. I about choked!
Good Lord! I can see why! :eek: The other end of the spectrum - to have mine tested for CAE - I know I have CL, no point in testing - was I think $7.50/doe and that included them drawing the blood.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank goodness goatcrazy! I will ask our vet and see what he charges. I think we might do CAE & CL testing, that seems to be the most common around here.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
As I've stated before. I use WADDL (I'm not sure if out of state rates are the same), but I look at it this way. Yes there are some false positives, (ahven't heard of false negatives) but if I'm drawing blood I run CAE/CL/Johne's since the cost is minimal. I bought my tubes from http://wedocows.stearnsvetoutlet.com/Products/011038881301215.asp . If I did ever have a positive then I'd retest in 6 months. I would do yearly testing if I didn't have a purely closed herd. Just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
626 Posts
As I've stated before. I use WADDL (I'm not sure if out of state rates are the same), but I look at it this way. Yes there are some false positives, (ahven't heard of false negatives) but if I'm drawing blood I run CAE/CL/Johne's since the cost is minimal. I bought my tubes from http://wedocows.stearnsvetoutlet.com/Products/011038881301215.asp . If I did ever have a positive then I'd retest in 6 months. I would do yearly testing if I didn't have a purely closed herd. Just my opinion. ;)
So are the tubes suppose to have additives? Also can we use our own needles and syringes?

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
I had my two does tested for CAE and CL in December. Including the farm visit fee, I paid $320! That is way more than I ever expected. I'll be ordering supplies and doing it myself next time. Plus the vet was mean to boot. :(

We also give all of our horse shots here. We do Rabies, West Nile and EWTF.....you can order all of them from Heartland vet supply.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts