The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the process of selling our spring kids and will be down to our new nubian buckling, a wether we are retaining, and a doe we are retaining... plus our two breeding full grown nubian does.

I would love to allow everyone to range on the pasture together, and the goal is to breed my new nubian buckling to the girls hopefully this fall. However, I want to prevent any funny business happening with the little doeling and the new buckling, since she'll be too small to breed until next fall.

How do you guys handle these dynamics on your farm? Do you have the growing buckling wear a buck apron? Is my only option to keep them separated at all times?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I agree. We keep our bucks & does separate. Even with the apron, the bucks can still harass the doe and Nubians are BIG. The bucks get to be just massive in a short time, I wouldn't risk him getting frustrated and slamming/hitting/chasing the girls. Seems like he's be under more stress and rut harder.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I just got my anti mating aprons today. I let my buck in his apron go foraging with the herd, and put him back in his pen afterwards. During foraging eating was the priority and he didn’t bug the girls. This may change once rut hits.

·
Fair-Haven
4,710 Posts
Rut is already here with my Nubians (weather has been fluctuating enormously). Even tho the boys stand and holler at the girls at times, it's working here. I have two, I know one would be beside himself trying to breed all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts