Here we go..... diarrhea --Update with ? post 24

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 15, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So yesterday I noticed a little bit of clumpy green poo, but didn't notice who it was coming from. Sometimes after roaming in the wooded area we'll get one with a little poo like this, and they act just fine, so we don't get worried.
    Everyone has been wormed, and UPD on shots, except our buckling who needs his.

So I go out this morning, and one of our does has diarrhea :( She's got it on the backs of her legs, and there was a mess around the front of the mini barn where they sleep. I watched her, and when she poo'd again, it was watery green.

Could the heat have something to do with it? It's been in the mid 80s, and the humidity... It's been staying around 80% or higher. Unfortunately I don't have a thermometer for the goats yet, BUT I am going to try and find my daughters old one.

Any suggestions on what I could do? I know to get fluids into her. I'm going to go get some gatorade, any suggestions on a flavor or does that matter much? And should I try pepto as well? If so, how much? She's a big girl, probably 130-140lbs at a rough estimate.

I'll have to hose the poo off of her back legs later, any suggestions on what kind of generic soap is good for their skin? I need to wash my preggo girls too they are icky, plus another goat got the diarrhea on them --yuck.

Would it be a good idea to keep her in a stall, or let her stay out? I can try to run a fan out there if my extention cord will reach...can't wait to get electric out there!

I hope it's just the heat and nothing else going on. With trying to get Molly and Boe over their hoof rot & hoof scald, this is the last thing I want to deal with.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Here we go..... diarrhea

I would give her 10cc of pepto and see if that helps anything. She may need another dose in 6 hours or so.

Any kind of gaterade or electrolytes is good.

use dog shampoo for cleaning

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much! All I have is the kids pepto tablets, so I am getting ready to go to the store now and get some pepto. I am going to search for the thermometer too. She seemed a bit depressed yesterday staying off by herself, which isn't uncommon for her, but I had a feeling something was up with her. Poor girl.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Okay so I gave her 6cc's of pepto, and we cleaned her rear end with some dog shampoo.
    Waited almost an hour, and my husband said to give her a little baking soda w/water in the syringe.
    She wanted to stand out in the hot sun - she did this yesterday afternoon I noticed that's what tipped me off that she might be sick.
    So I brought her into a stall, gave her hay, and put some gatorade in her water. She is eating a little hay, and my husband said when
    I was gone she drank water. I did the skin test to see if she was dehydrated and her skin bounced back normally.

5. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

Whenever I see scours in goats, I generally think of four things right off the bat: Dietary, bacteria, coccidia, or less frequently, parasites.

If the scour is mostly green and the goat's more or less OK -- still eating and drinking and being a goat -- I assume it's dietary unless the situation takes an ugly turn. In humans, it's basically analog to gorging on Taco Bell or something...you get the squirts, but life goes on and it eventually clears up.

If it's a kid in the 3 to maybe 6 month range, I suspect coccidia first, then bacteria.

If the goat (regardless of age) is depressed and anorexic, and if the poo is particularly nasty (i.e., dirty water), I think bacterial -- especially if the goat is older or younger than a coccidia candidate. Bacterial enteritis is deadly serious; the human analog would be *true* food poisoning...like, the occasional e.coli and salmonella outbreaks that kill and/or put people in the hospital and make the evening news.

If it's an off and on softening and the goat still eats and drinks, but seems maybe a little down or sluggish overall, I start thinking internal parasites, and usually something other than barberpole worms. I've personally had goats do this while their eyelids stay nice and pink, only to have the occasional softening clear up right away and the goat brighten considerably after deworming.

Given that it's green, I'm gonna go with a dietary scour for now. Pepto is a great idea.. I usually give adults as much of a 30ml dose as they'll take...which, with me, is usually close to 30ml just because I'm mean like that. lol A 30ml dose probably sounds like a lot, but it's the same amount as the little dosing cup on the lid. :)

Probios wouldn't hurt either.. Adults here usually get a 10g slug of it.

Something else to note is that the skin tent test doesn't really work for goats... Test an upper eyelid. The eyelids go down first, so if an upper eyelid tents, the goat's dehydrated.

sevenpineshomestead likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Could be diet ....I would give it a couple of days and treat with pepto...if no improvement.... I recommend getting a fecal done...

Also .........I highly recommend ...getting a thermometer.... with the weather being so weird... this year up and down....now it is record heat.... she may have pneumonia setting in....please take her temp.... if it is pneumonia....she needs treatment right away..... :hug:

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much I appreciate the help. She's been a bit down the past couple of days, but she's always been such a quiet girl, and likes to stay off to herself. But yesterday she was standing out in the hot sun while everyone else was hovering in the shade to stay cool. That had me concerned.
    Her poo is very runny, and green.

I hope it's just dietary, and she'll get over it quickly. Everyone else is doing fine, thank goodness, and I hope this is an isolated issue.
    She's about 2 1/2 years old.

We've had a lot of rain this week, but they have access to shelter so I wonder if she might have gotten wet somehow and I didn't know it? I usually always go out right after rain ends to check on them, even late at night. I've never noticed her get wet. But with this heat and humidity...It's not horrendous, but it's definitely been very hot this week.

I'll look for the thermometer, and if I don't find it, I'll just use my daughters.
    We'll keep her in the stall until after the evening feeding is over, and then if she seems better I'll let her out, it'll be a little cooler then, and probably do her some good to be out instead of trapped up in a stall. She has her water, and she has access to hay.

I gave her 6cc of Pepto, but this evening I'll give her the 10cc dose. I couldn't remember the dosage when I was out - so didn't want to give her too much.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

HS....At 2 + years old, she would likely benefit from the higher dose of 30cc, and it would act faster on her gut with that amount. I hope she feels better soon.

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks, I am going to give that to her as soon as I get dinner started - veggie/beef soup on a HOT day..LOL

I just came in from checking on her. She is FINALLY laying down in the corner of the stall. I only see one other tiny little pile of poo and it's runny, but doesn't look like the watery stuff I saw this morning.

10. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

Is she eating anything?? Does she seem 'dull' or 'off,' or is she more or less normal?

If she's not eating and she's dull/off at all, or if she doesn't seem considerably better now than earlier today, I'd start seriously considering hitting her with about 5ml of Scour Halt (called ScourChek now, I think -- spectinomycin) or Neomycin oral solution.. Usually, dietary scours clear up pretty quickly...often, you don't catch them *actually* scouring, but with dried poo on their hinies as they're out grazing normally..

It's 5:36EST now...which means your closest TSC will be **CLOSED** in a little over 2hrs. ScourChek is less than $20 for a pint, and will last you forever. If I were you, I'd go buy some.. If I didn't have to use it for this one, super...you can always just hang on to it.

But I wouldn't be without it come 8:01pm tonight, because you just..never..know..

Just sayin'.

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks cmjust0 for the info. I just now got on and read your reply. She didn't seem to be eating anything in the stall, not sure about drinking.
    I fed the others, and felt like a terrible person for not feeding her, she had that 'what about me?' look on her face, it was soooo heartbreaking.
    I gave her 10cc's of pepto, and once the others that I feed outside were done <we feed them all seperately so we can monitor what they are eating>, then I turned her out, and she had a lot of diarrhea when I let her out <was hardly any in the stall at all>, she also pee'd.
    She was acting just fine, with the exception of having diarrhea running out of her rear end. She acted as if she were starving! Poor girl! She grazed and browsed for about an hour and then everyone came back up to the barn <getting dark outside>.

I want to put her in the stall tonight, but we are expecting storms, and so I'll have to leave that stall open so everyone has shelter.
    I can't wait to get a few temporary shelters made until we make a few small run in's. I have the stuff for the temp shelter, just need a tarp to go over it. I can't wait until we get everything set up the way we want.

BTW, I forgot to ask, how often should I be giving the Pepto? Every 6 hours? Or since I just gave it about an hour and a half ago, should i wait and see how she is in the morning?

Thanks again everyone for all the help!

12. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Hoosier, when our doeling had diarrhea somebody suggested dry oatmeal and mixing a little baking soda with water. I think I did like a tablespoon with about 20 cc of water. Those two stopped the diarrhea right away while pepto didn't help (of course, hers wasn't diet related obviously). But I think with the stomach upset those two things would help her.
    Pepto at 15cc would be for a small 3 month old so 10cc might not be helping your girl at all. Hope she feels better!!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

How is she today?

Yes..P7 is right, if you can't get the runs to stop and fear dehydration, if she is eating giving her some dry oatmeal will help bind her poop. Also, giving her some probiotic paste will help too.

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks P7 and Liz! When I went out to check on her this morning I only saw one pile of poo, it was still runny, but it did have some clumpy stuff in it, so it looks like it may be hardening up. She has been out grazing with the others for over an hour now.
    I did give her 12cc's of pepto this morning, and I was going to wait a few hours and give her some baking soda - I did give her baking soda w/water in a syringe yesterday afternoon.

Hopefully she'll stay in the shade when it starts to get hot, so I don't have to lock her in the stall again.

Oh, and if I don't see more improvement, I'll definitely give her oatmeal.

Thanks again, I appreciate all the help!

15. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

If she's still down with this, I don't think it's dietary.. At this point, I'm thinking she's either got/had a bacterial gut thing going, or perhaps some type of non-barberpole parasite.

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I went out and checked on her a while ago, she was laying down next to our garden where she likes to be but it's in the sun. So I put her up in the stall until it cools off - not really that hot today thank goodness, but I'd rather her not be out in the sun. I don't see any signs of new diarrhea, her rear end has a tiny bit that is dry and looks to have been dry for quite a while. So I wonder if she is getting over it. She was acting normal earlier today, grazing, drinking water, etc. I also figure if I have her in the stall, I can monitor her poo.
    I gave her almost 1 tablespoon of baking soda w/water.

When I go out to feed the others this afternoon, I'll take her out some oatmeal and see if she'll eat it. I'll have to find something to add to it as I don't have any molasses or raisins right now -- on my grocery list tho'!

17. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

When she goes in the stall, is she eating hay?

I dunno...given that she still maybe seems "off" a bit I'd probably be treating for gut bacteria and probably parasites other than barberpoles.. For me, that would mean drenching with SafeGuard @ 3x label strength for 3 days in a row, plus about 5ml of Scour Halt (ScourChek...spectinomycin) or Neomycin oral every 12hrs until she STOPPED scouring..

If I saw *any* blood in the stool at all, I'd accompany all that with a decent broad spectrum injectable...tetracycline, maybe. If she didn't get better quickly, I'd switch to something stronger like Excenel..

To have gone on so long now, I'm now seriously doubting this was 100% dietary in nature.. She may kick whatever it was on her own and continue improving, but a simple dietary scour is typically no biggie at all to you or the goat, and it's typically very short-lived.

18. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Glad your girl is starting to do better. It's sad that we had so much poo here last week I can name the stages: watery poo, mustard poo, pudding poo, soft dog poo, normal dog poo, clumpy hard dog poo, pellets! Sounds like you have reached (drum roll) pudding dog poo! :laugh:
    Hope you get cofee beans soon!

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks! And yeah P7, it sounds like she had the pudding dog poo! Thankfully, no more signs of diarrhea all day long - and none on her rear end, just a little bit of what was dried from overnight last night. She's back to normal, eating hay, and she was BEGGING for grain, poor girl! Everyone else getting grain and she is stuck in the stall watching through the divider wall. While I was tending to the others, she was chowing down on the hay like crazy. She's back to her goofy self, and I feel so relieved, but I'll keep an eye on her just to make sure all is well.

20. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC

Just watch the grain ...hay is the best for recovering soft stools at least for a few days