Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that been breeding for a while, have you noticed
certain traits more readily passed on ?

I would like to know specifically if anyone has noted the degree
of heritability for orifice size ?

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
My Nigerian Dwarf doe has larger teat and orifice size for a Nigerian. Everyone that I have talked to who owns a daughter of hers has the same thing and is their favorite milker. So my doe seems to consistently pass on the larger teat and orifice size to her doelings.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Attitude gets passed on lol wether they are bottle raised or not. I had one Alpine doe who was pretty aggressive towards other goats, bottle raised all her kids and both doe kids that I kept from her were the same way.

I do think orifice size is pretty heritable too, but it also depends on the bucks genetics.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
If small orifices are something that's been bred repeatedly through the generations...it will be harder to correct. For some does it will be fairly easy to correct, while others, it will take more than one generation. That happens with all traits. The more consistency you see with a bad trait, the harder it will be to breed it out. So if you had a long line of steep rumped goats...it would generally be harder to correct if you had just one generation that had steep rumps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts