The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a buckling a few months back. He was going to be my breeding buck but when I got him home I discovered his testicles hadn't dropped. I assumed he was a chryptochid but we are already attached to him so we are keeping him as a buck companion and of course NEVER allow him to breed. Anyways.... I noticed he isn't really growing like my other buckling. His body score is good (not boney), famatcha score is good. Eats and drinks well and acts relatively normal (plays and runs but very clumsy at times). I thought since he seems otherwise healthy, I would just keep an eye on him for now.
However....
Today I noticed my other buckling sweet talking him like he would a doe in heat. Not the normal "I'm being manly just because I'm the boss here" it was definitely more like he was communicating with a doe in heat. Is it possible he is a hermaphrodite? I'm no vet but I have felt for testicles in his abdomen and havnt found anything. Based on appearance I would say he is a cryptochid... no sign of exterior female parts. . . but could the really slow growth and buck teasing be hermaphrodite related? He is very feminine looking but like I said before no sign of exterior female parts. He is a Nigerian dwarf. The very last picture is from the day I got him (purchased at 9 weeks old as an intact male, I should have checked him before we left with him. Breeder held him and carried him to my vehicle or I would have noticed his lack if testicles)

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
Its possible.. Can you post a picture of him? ..all ends and sides.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added some pictures just now. The very last picture is him at 9 weeks. The rest of the pictures I took just now. He is nearly 19 weeks now. He has filled out slightly but has not changed much in hieght at all since I brought him home. He is happy and energetic just seems his growth is stunted. I have compared his back end side by side with my intact buckling and below his anus is shaped slightly different, nothing you would notice unless you were looking for flaws.

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
Well he's a cutie for sure!. I don't see outer evidence of a hermaphrodite but that doesn't mean there is not internal indicators. His horn growth is not stunted, seems pretty good size for his age but he's pretty small next to the bucket of water. I agree coccidia maybe an issue. A moderate amount can cause stunted growth without causing scours we expect. A fecal would be wise to include coccidia.
Hows his genetics? Have you seen his parents?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you done coccidia treatment? Coccidia could be your problem for slow growth. Can you have the vet ultrasound him?
I did a cocci treatment. I plan on having an ultrasound done on him when my vet can make it out. We dont have many vet options where I am so we have to wait

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well he's a cutie for sure!. I don't see outer evidence of a hermaphrodite but that doesn't mean there is not internal indicators. His horn growth is not stunted, seems pretty good size for his age but he's pretty small next to the bucket of water. I agree coccidia maybe an issue. A moderate amount can cause stunted growth without causing scours we expect. A fecal would be wise to include coccidia.
Hows his genetics? Have you seen his parents?
I did get to see his parents. He was from a registered herd. I do plan on having a fecal done on my whole herd. And will have him checked by ultrasound while she is here. I treated him for cocci right after I brought him home. How often should you retreat if you still suspect coccidiosis? I will touch base with my vet and see if I can be moved up on the schedule. Routine fecals dont qualify as an emergency so I'm at the bottom of the waiting list for now. We dont have many farm vet options. Maybe I should send in his fecal via my regular vet and get a quicker result just in case....

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I had a cryptorchid who looked almost exactly like your buckling. The testicle inside the abdomen could not be felt from outside,

·
Registered
30,649 Posts
You can send fecal samples in to MeadowMistLabs. It's 6 bucks for regular check which includes coccidia. They email you results with complete count of what was found and how much.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Did you ever have him surgically castrated?
Yes I did. Unfortunately his buckish behaviour didn’t end. The vet said it is likely they missed a teeny tiny thread of tissue which continued to produce testosterone. I have heard other people had successful surgeries on their cryptos, but I did not.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Some farmers (usually shepherds) short scrotum their lambs-- it's pushing the testicles back inside and banding BELOW them. It keeps the testes warmer, which kills the sperm, but keeps testosterone produced for faster growth. This is usually done just on meat animals, rather than animals meant to be kept around and sterile for years.

He's a cutie! What's the breeder saying now?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts