The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ocean turned a yr old in February. She has ran with my bucks threw the winter. And did not get bred ive never seen signs of heat in her. Ive looked up info on hermaphrodite and really dont think she is. She looks normal on the outside. and she never acted bucky. So i called the vet to see if i can buy some lute. He told me she is probably a hermaphrodite and wants me to bring her in to look at her before i give her the meds. Will it hurt to ingect her if i can get the meds without the visit? That $40 i could spend on hay. If i should have her looked at then she will be waiting tell spring next yr. I can take and pics and show you all.
These are the only ones ive got of her right know. There not close up though http://joybellfarm.webs.com/does-page-2 she is the first doe.
So what should i do? Lute her and try to breed. Or wait tell next spring and take her to the vet.

·
2,203 Posts
Honestly my first choice would be cystorelin. She may have gone cystic on you. Why is lutalyse $40 where you are?? That's crazy! I use it almost daily in the cattle herds I visit and the stuff is super cheap up here.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think she meant it would cost $40 for the vet visit...but I agree, I would try cystorelin just in case she is cystic and then do the lute.

·
2,203 Posts
I think she meant it would cost $40 for the vet visit...but I agree, I would try cystorelin just in case she is cystic and then do the lute.
Oh yeah that makes sense. I agree with you there. If cystorelin doesn't work, do a session or two of lutalyse.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes its only $8 for the lute sorry. I will call tommorrow and ask about cystorelin. I may wait and see if a buck in heavy rut will bring her in. Just to see idk thought. If we all were not attached to her we would sell her. I think the home i got her from was hard on her i had bought 2 other doelings with her. And i never seen them bred while they were here. And have since sold them since ive never seen them be bred.

·
Super Moderator
59,742 Posts
I would want an ultrasound done if you take her in. Just looking at the outside parts isn't enough. You need to see what her ovaries and uterus look like

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would want an ultrasound done if you take her in. Just looking at the outside parts isn't enough. You need to see what her ovaries and uterus look like
That might be part of the checkup. As i took a goat to be looked at before and it only cost me $20. Once he told me how much he wanted to charge i did not ask what all the check up would do.
So i think my plan for know then with her since money needs to be spent on hay this yr while its still cheep. I will put her with my oldest Buck in August let her spend a full month with him. Then i might put all the bucks in with her. I just dont got the pen space to keep them all separated for to long :(. Right know i would just like to see her carry babies dont care who daddy is. By November i will pull her out and watch for signs of pregnancy. If she looks open i will take her to the vet in March. And hope he can get her fixed other wise she will be off to a pet home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts