Hermaphrodite*Pic*

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RowdyKidz, Nov 28, 2009.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Well, I was looking at a doe after I took her out of the breeding pen. And I noticed this little brown thing at the end of her girl part. I at first thought it was nothing but upon further inspection, we concluded it was actually attached and it was sensitive to her. Not just a weird colored discharge. So I had one of my friends that also raises goats stop by and bring a book...

Anyway...Sparkle has always acted a little bucky and seems like she's always in heat. And now I have realized that she refuses to stand for bucks and that bucks don't really show interest in her.

She was in with George from oct 26-Nov 3. And she was put in with Mo on Nov 15 to now (as she showed signs of coming into heat again).

And I had not seen the little thing (I have no clue what you'd call it) on her girl part until today. And I had just checked on her and it like started to shrink.

So what do you all think?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Hermaphrodite

could be ..... its hard to know without a picture and without having ever seen a confirmed case in person before

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Yep, agree with Stacey, without a pic it would be hard to say, but a real possibility. I don't have any experience with hermaphrodites other from what i've heard and read. I wasn't sure though if they could come in season??

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

I'm not sure if she is coming in season, it appears so? But not the normal spacing a regular doe would have.

I know I should've gotten a pic. :doh: :doh: :doh:

It's definitely not normal...I've never seen anything like it before. :?

5. Re: Hermaphrodite

Pics, get a few pics...that will help. :wink:

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

A hermaphrodite doe will likely have testes up in her abdomen (feel into her udder... do you feel 2 lumps??) Also if you look right inside her vulva you can see a small penis (or a small lump). Sometimes the penis will protrude... which is what you might be seeing. Pictures would help.

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

There's the dab of something on the tip and she also had something in her vagina but the camera didn't pick it up. But I'm thinking she's a Hermie. :sigh:

Attached Files:

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tara, that looks like a tick to me! Seriously, I have already pulled 2 ticks off my does..that one is in an odd spot and since this is the first you've seen it, it really looks like a tick..same color as the ones I've seen.

9. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    That really doesn't look like any other pics I've seen of Hermaphrodites. It almost reminds of of a skintag :shrug:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yah doesnt look like a Hermaphrodite to me

11. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Looks like a tick to me too - ouch - a tick on your hoohaa. :(

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Doesn't look like a hermaphrodite to me, from the one's I have seen pics of. :shrug:

13. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    It's not a tick though. :shrug: I've seen ticks before on goats...but that's definitely not one. :sigh:

myfainters: It does feel like there's a bump right above her teats...And I can't believe my camera did not pick up that there was small lump just inside the vagina when I went to look again.

14. Sounds like most have said this, looks like a tick. Alcohol will get it to back out or light a match, blow it out and touch the tick with it. Either way, be careful as you are in a special place. :wink:

15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    It would take someone stronger than me to place a hot or stinging substance on my goats "special" spot.

16. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yeah...It's definitely NOT a tick... :?

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's likely a skin tag then, if this was something she was born with you would have seen it steadily growing larger as she matured. The pic of it is not close enough for me to tell for sure if it is a tick, it looks very similar in color to the ticks here and being in a very sensitive area to begin with I would hesitate to use anything but a pair of tweezers to attempt to get it off, if it was a tick.

I sold a nigi cross doe a few years ago that would not come into heat and would not stand for a buck, she did not have a vaginal canal as my pinky tip "hit" a wall and she had teats the size of a bucks, she's happily living as a brush clearer with a herd of wethers.

18. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  19. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If you're pretty sure she's a hermaphrodite then I would pull her papers (if she's papered) and sell her as a pet.

20. No if it is a tick, you do not touch the goat but the tick. However, if you see it is not then do not do this. From the picture it looks like a tick though, that is the reason why I said that.