hermaphrodites

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by thephatlady, Jul 28, 2009.

1. thephatlady

thephatlady New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Hi ,I am brand new to this site.I have two nubians who freshened for the first time 1 week ago. They each had one kid, a girl and a boy.I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE GIRL but I think she might be a hermaphrodite beacause of how her vulva looks.I know this is probably a strange question but,can anyone tell me what she is suposed to look like?I have read that a pea sized lump is abnormal. She dosen't realy have a lump, it just sort of protrudes a little in a roundish sort of way.These are my first nubian kids in two years and i'm just not sure

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hello and welcome!

Do you have a picture of the little doe's vulva? That would be a huge help in helping you figure out if there's an issue with her.

3. thephatlady

thephatlady New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I will get one hopefully tonight,definatly by tomorrow.Thanks for responding!

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
  5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WELCOME :wave:

Newborn does look a bit different than adult does, but you are right to question the possibility. A pic would definatly help though.

Congrats on the new babies :leap:

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome to TGS! :wave:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome to TGS!!! :wave:

A pic would definately help - and be sure to ask any questions you have!

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome!! :wave: Glad to have ya here!!

A picture would give us a better idea. You could maybe google and see if you can find anything on goat hermaphrodites.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome and congratulations on the new babies.

I have to say a picture would help also. I bet she is just fine.

10. thephatlady

thephatlady New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    heres a picture of my little girl... what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Welcome! :wave:

Um, yeah that doesn't look right at all. . .

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have to agree with Olivia - that doesnt look right to me :scratch:

13. Ditto to that, do you have an experienced person near you or vet. It seems to be better in person to tell at such an age.

By the way, welcome! :wave: Glad to have you here. :leap: :clap:

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome to the goat spot..... :wave: :greengrin:

I also agree.... it doesn't look right.....I recommend.... getting a vets opinion on it.... so you know for sure....if she is a hermaphrodite or not.... :hug:

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Welcome to the group, it doesnt look right to me either. Is by chance either one of her parents polled (born without horns) or is she polled?
    beth

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH I was so hoping that she was fine, just a little swollen, but no that is not good.

Let us know what the vets says.

17. thephatlady

thephatlady New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Both parents had hornes. I have a friend with more experiance comming over this weekend , hopefully she can tell me. I did find some good pics of normal girls on the web. I think it looks worse in the photo than in person.Maybe because of her coloring.Its like, lightest in the spot where she slightly protrouds. Thank you all so much for responding! :greengrin:

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you look past the lighting, I don't think it looks odd, its just a bit more pronounced than most. The lighting makes her tip look bigger and fatter.

19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I agree with Sarah!

20. thephatlady

thephatlady New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm back. I have had a couple of people come and look at my little doe.My most experianced "goatfriend" thinks my doe is normal,but says theres no guarentee, without the vet,untill she has been breed. Another friend said that except for her coloring, my doe looks just like her momma 'down there'. I think I will probably take the chance and keep her.Any one know if" the pea shaped growth" is suposed to be firmer or hard or something like that?Her bottom feels normal. :scratch: