Hey everybody!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sungoats, Oct 7, 2007.

1. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Hi!
    This looks like it's going to be a GREAT site! I was a member of GW, but mostly lurked about, reading all the wonderful info and questions everyone else had. I have two Alpine goats, Dixie and her daughter, Daisy. I've had goats before (my first one was a stray that wandered onto our property), but this year is the first time we bred our goat for MILK! I never thought I could get so excited about milking a goat, but I'm having such a fun time figuring out what to do with all of it. So far, I've made two types of (very basic) cheeses, ice cream, pudding, custard and yogurt! Maybe we should have an exercise topic on the TGS!!! :wink:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hey neighbor! I live in the southern part of the garden state.

welcome to The Goat Spot.

3. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    And I live in the north/central part of it! Making cheese is a pretty big accomplishmnet though, I could never do it.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Congrats on making all those wonderful things! I have never had any of those but I bet they are good.

5. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome!! You will have to share recipes if you run across some good ones :wink:

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Welcome Glad you found the site.

7. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Hey Jersey Girls!!! It looks like this forum has New Jersey covered - South, North and Central!

Thanks for the nice comments about cheese making, but the recipe I used was straight out of the FiasCo Farm site. Heat and add vinegar!!! The thing I really thought was neat was that I made the cheese, then used to whey to boil spaghetti for dinner. Then I had about 2 cups of whey left and I gave it to the chickens! They loved it!!! I make a game out of not wasting anything and when I don't, I feel like I've "won"!!!

The other cheese was from a recipe in the Backyard Chicken forum. It's for making yogurt using a cooler instead of a yogurt maker. Then you just strain the yogurt through a cheese cloth and you have soft cheese for spreading or using instead of cream cheese!