The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently live on a rescue ranch in the Rio Grande Valley. Here we have mostly dogs, but also horses, cows and goats -all rescues. I also raise my own chickens.

I had never considered raising goats for myself but some stray dogs got into the pasture killing several of the goats, including a new mom of twin girls.
Well, my husband and I brought the girls in and bottle raised them. We were hooked. Oh my goodness I would have never thought goats to be so cute and entertaining! Not to mention attention needy trouble makers that you just can't stay angry at despite the havoc they can cause. lol

I've been reading several of the threads in the different forums here and am learning LOTS.

I would love to have a mentor as I really want to get into raising goats for milk and meat. I've been steering myself toward becoming as self-sufficient as possible raising/growing what we consume in our home. We try live 'green' and as organically as possible.

By the way, my girls are Boer/mixes, Sugar-Pie and Honey-Bunch, 14mos old.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
welcome!

do you sing them "sugar pie honey bunch. you know I love you! I can't help myself" all the time? b/c I would! lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome!

do you sing them "sugar pie honey bunch. you know I love you! I can't help myself" all the time? b/c I would! lol
Oh yes! I actually named them after that song. Sometimes, just to change it up a bit, I'll go with "Sugar, ahhhh Honey Honey, you're my candy girl and you got me wanting you". lol
We added 2 pygmy girls named after songs too: (good golly)Miss Molly and Sarah, and a pygmy billy named Maurice (no song there). I ended up placing them with a friend after I lost my husband in November. I wasn't able to take on all of them by myself at the time. Sugar and Honey went too but I just recently brought them back home. I'm getting back on my feet and hope to add more by next year as I get myself more organized.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome here. I love how friendly everyone seems to be. I think I'm gonna really enjoy this forum. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I have to add a little story here:

My avatar pic is my Golden Retriever/Border Collie mix, Helios, with the girls. When we first took the girls in I was worried about my dogs getting to them. The one I worried most about was Helios. So, I figured the best way to keep him from eating them was to make him responsible for their safety. He took his job quite seriously too. When Sugar-Pie and Honey-Bunch would decided to run in different directions it would put Helios in a panic. He wouldn't know which way to go. So he fixed that real quick. He rounded them up and nudged them over the wood rails we had around the baby peach tree, thus penning them in. It was hilarious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts