The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a house in up state and have about 3.5 acres I'm looking to get two boer goats for meat/mowing my lawn how much room do i need per goat in the pen and how big should there house be i believe treating my animals right so please add your two cent any thing helps thanks so much

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I don't have a specific formula off the too if my head, I can dig it out in the morning. I do want to warn you though, goats aren't big grass eaters. If to think they'll eat your grass, they won't. If you have a very weedy lawn, they'll love that, just beware. If you want something to eat the grass, get sheep! ;)

Welcome! :welcome:

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Oh I understand completely! I'm just making sure you know that they'll eat weeds but not grass. :) And I will dig it out in the morning, it is nearly midnight here and I'm already in bed. Can you wait until then?? If not I might be able to get my mom to find it for me.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I know for horses you should have about an acre, so I'm thinking an half and acre or an acre would be more than enough for at least two standard size goats.. As stated they aren't huge grass eaters, but I have mine out in a field and they do well on that. As for a house, it just needs to be big enough for the goats to walk around and sleep in and not drafty.

And welcome to TGS!

·
Goat Owner
75 Posts
From the publications I have read, they say an acre can be stocked with 6-10 goats but that is really dependent on the type of brush, grass and browse available. Generally, the lighter the stocking rate the less you have to worry about the internal parasites. Given that you will have 3.5 acres, you might think about being able to move them around using portable electric fence. They can clear out brushy areas for you that way.
As far as the shelter, it can just be a simple 3 sided shed made from pallets that will keep them dry and out of the wind.
Keep the questions coming since we all have had them and still have bits we are figuring out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.