The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really bad at introducing myself so I suppose I'll start with the reason I'm here, my goats. Rather our goats.
Here at Wandering Grounds (our farm, last name's Ground!) we have 13 goats; 6 does, 4 doelings, 1 buck, 2 bucklings.

We have a mixed breed herd here, of our larger does, there's Eh and Bea Arthur, twin Saanen/Boer crosses, and their daughters, Tacoma and Toledo, respectively. Technically, Tacoma and Toledo are sisters(Nubian sire)and their brother is the little buckling cross, Toronto, also Toledo's twin. We got the whole lot for a steal, but they came severely emaciated with mites, lice and mange. Their hooves were overgrown by a good three inches and both Eh and Bea were nearly crippled. They both had mild foot rot too, from being housed in 2 foot deep bedding on a downhill slope during our April to June soggy season this summer. It gets really wet here in Maine sometimes. They weren't getting any grain and they were being fed straight pine boughs because "we ran out of hay early and haven't got to cutting yet". They got limited sunlight, so when they came to open dry field and pastures, all their hair fell out and they got mild sunburns. We had to put 't-shirts' on them and then sunscreen, but the lice were gone! It's been a few months and they look much better.

Our Nigerian Dwarf doe, Angel, came to us for free to supply milk while I was pregnant with our daughter, Rowan. She was our first goat. Saved my life since I developed the inability to digest the larger fat molecules during my 2nd trimester. It went away after the baby was born, but angel stayed. She came with a freemartin doe, Bella, whom we sold to a couple who had a freemartin doe already and lost her companion goat. Around the same time we received Angel and Bella, we picked up Nathan and William. Nathan Scott Phillips was a cull Nigerian Dwarf, so was William. The lady we got them from was afraid that they were sick since they were so small and their dam was bred at 6 months. William was born with one testicle, was always weak in his back legs and ended up going off feed, the vet recommended we put him down. Nathan turned out to be a spunky 18" tall buck who gets all the ladies heads turning!

We have 2 French Alpine doelings, a Pygmy doe and a gorgeous Nubian buckling we got from some Italian guy, he seemed like an animal broker. They were being fed layer pellets the first time we visited them, so we tried our best to tell him how to feed them properly and left with Sebastian, our Nubian, in tow. Seabass is the sweetest little buck ever! We waited 2 days and showed up unexpectedly, invited ourselves out back, and were greeted by the mans daughter. She knew absolutely nothing about the goats there but we saw clean pens, fresh hay, extra water dishes and bags of Noble Goat next to the layer pellets. We went home with Sicilia shortly thereafter. A few weeks later there was another post on CL from the same guy, so we went for a visit. He had three goats and a sheep left, and they were penned into an acre sized wood lot with about a quarter acre pasture. I was flabbergasted. We took Suri and Abbot home that afternoon. Abbot was unexpected, but she was gorgeous and grey and certainly cashmere. Joe had to have her!

Last, but certainly not least, are Mocha and Latte, half sisters from an Angora sire. Mocha is half Alpine, one of triplets. Her mother gave birth to triplets before Mocha's litter and quad's after. Supposedly she milked out 14 lbs a day while nursing. Latte is half Boer, one of twins. She has one double teat, so I don't think we'll be breeding her. Both are absolutely gorgeous and produce both cashmere and Angora fibers. Amy, the woman who sold them to me, is absolutely amazing and let them go for $150.00USD!!!!

Our goats are a big part of our life. They feed us, entertain us, send out the alarm for predators and keep the woods at bay!

Not sure what else to say... We raise rabbits, waterfowl and Heritage Breed chickens too. :)

Maggie Ground

Ground Goats
Wandering Grounds

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Welcome to Goat Spot from central Texas...sounds like you have a smorga borg of goats..Bet they are wonderful to sit back and just watch!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts