The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me about 30 min just to figure out how to post something but i found it! :D Hi guys, i was just looking at apps and found this one and after browsing the it i decided it looked really fun and like something i can learn a lot from. :)

Im 15 and new to goat managing, my neighbors have goats and ever since i was little every year they would have a few orphaned kids that they would give to me to let me bottle raise. Then when it was time for them to be weaned i would give them back. They would be the ones to worm them and help with the medical things. a few years ago i got a doe and her 1 1/2 year old daughter from them. They would take care of them if they got sick or hurt and i would send them to their place once a year to get bred and i would leave them at their place and visit until they had their kids (i was to scared something would happen and i would mess up). Now a few years later i decided it was time i buck up (no pun intended :p ) and learn how to take care of them myself.

My goal is to be able to breed them and we have a livestock auction a few towns over a few times a month that i go with the neighbors to alot that i would like to sell the kids at each year.

My goats are mixed breeds and we only have about 5 or so acres fenced in but they also share that with 2 horses. Due to my little space i can't have alot of goats until we get more fence up so i decided to step up my herd quality a little. i was going to wait until i sold my other girls but we were always busy when the sales came up when my b-day came around my parents surprised me with some boers (but i wasn't complaining, gosh who would lol). I got 5 from a good breeder 3 does one of the does doelings and a young buck from another line they still aren't the best quality i think but i guess i have to start somewhere lol.

Now im overrun with goats so im hoping yall can give me some direction sort of say haha. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I forgot to ask which part of goatspot should i post about keeping and culling help? I can't make up my mind for nothing but maybe you guys who aren't emotionally attached to my babies can tell me which ones i should sell haha. :D thanks

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Hey, welcome! I posted in your other thread; I can't understand why you don't have other responses yet! Don't worry, everyone here is very nice and helpful and I'm sure they will be welcoming you soon!;)

·
962 Posts
Hi, Welcome to TGS! It's great that when you first were introduced to goats your neighbors acted somewhat as a safety net. Are you looking for advice about who to cull based on their conformation? If you are then you should post in the Goat Conformation section.

I love boers, especially with their floppy ears & colors.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! :D

At first i thought i just messed it up but i guess not lol. :)

Yep they are great people and have helped me out a whole lot.
I will take some pics in a few days and make a keep or cull in conformation thats probably the best place thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome aboard :). Ive only been on here for a day or so myself but everyone is super friendly. Id love to see pictures of your herd! :). I have 2 Nigi's my self

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At first i was going to go take some pics and put them here but it got a little crazy so i put them on photogenic with the story behind my little adventure haha. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts