Hey

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shadi, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Shadi

Shadi Member

Feb 19, 2021
    Lebanon
    Hey all, my name is shadi, i've just started raising goats this summer, i'm still having a hard time figuring out everything, i was searching for a solution to an urgent problem i have rn when i found this site, it looks very helpful so i hope someone will help me out soon, sorry for the long thread, wish everyone a great day.
    P.S: my problem regards a new goat mother not being able to feed her newborns enough. 20210219_213534.jpg

2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hi Shadi ! Welcome to TGS. So glad you are here. The picture on here..the little ones look fine. Why do you think the mothers not feeding them enough?

MadHouse and Shadi like this.

3. Shadi

Shadi Member

Feb 19, 2021
    Lebanon
    Hey thanks and this image is from the day they were delivered... that was around 3 days ago, but the mother's udder muscles are hard from the top and the udder isn't milking much, when i tried to feed em milk from another mother through a milk bottle one of em drank it all desperately the other refused to drink so i figured they aren't getting enough milk, they also seem tired and lacking energy in comparison to the two other newborns i have atm...

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ok..on mom..sounds like mastitus. Have you used warm water and massaged her udder to see if they will loosen up and become more supple?
    On the newborns..milk what you can from mom and add just a little cows milk. Make sure you warm the milk to 100° F. They eat about every 2 hours but not alot at each feeding. Their tummies should feel flat..not rounded. Make sure they are pooping and peeing. I put just a punch of baking soda in the first bottle to help their rumen.

MadHouse, toth boer goats and Shadi like this.
  5. Shadi

Shadi Member

Feb 19, 2021
    Lebanon
    Yes i've been washing it's udder with hot water and steam for three days it loosens a bit from the bottom but still pretty hard at the back top... but there is no signs of infection and her milk looks pretty good also i've been using a cream like medicine it has a burning sensation somehow it was recommended by a fellow goat raiser of mine he said this should be able to loosen the udder... and regarding the newborns i' feeding them the milk from another goat mom which has delivered another two newborns just the day after it has enough to feed the four of the newborns, but i wonder if there is a recommended quantity of milk that should be fed to each newborn at each course... sorry for taking your time and thanks in advance. :)

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Congested udders are hard work..you have to go out several times a day and work on her. Very warm compresses, knead, massage, milk, repeat. I have worked on them for 30-40 minutes at a time. Helpers are nice to have when dealing with congestion. Arms sure get wore out.
    Got to really knead like bread dough. Use an udder balm. Add peppermint essential oils if you have any. In the mean time supplementing kids is good idea. If goats milk becomes less you can use whole cows milk from the grocery store. Buy quality brand.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    No need to be sorry...that is why we all are here...to help eachother. ;)

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    When supplementing moms milk, (cause you want the kids to stay with her, helps her udder too) you want to feed a bottle to get a flat but firm tummy. Don't want tummy too poochy since they are getting some milk from mom. If you end up 100% bottle raising them then you need to weigh them..multiply that by 16% to get their weight in oz. Then multiply that amount by 10-12% to see how much per day they need and divide into 4 bottles. Chexk tummy each time for that flat but firm tummy. Not too poochy and not sunken in..adjust milk accordingly. Re weigh every few days to a week and adjust their amount.

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Shadi like this.
  9. Shadi

Shadi Member

Feb 19, 2021
    Lebanon
    This is really helpful thanks alot, today i gave one of the newborns as such quantity although he seemed to want more... and i was just reading online, the article says that mastitis happens to one side of the udder, when the two sides are the hard it's probably "CEA- cuased hard bag" it's a virus of some sort and it has no treatment and it's highly contagious... could this be the case since the two sides of the udder are hard in the mom? Or is it normal for mastitis to happen at two sides and it gets treated by continuous massage and such care, cause i've been applying such care for the past three days and yes no kidding my hands are sore lmao...

10. Shadi

Shadi Member

Feb 19, 2021
    Lebanon
    I'm forgetting to reply to your last reply, i'm still getting the hang of this website lol

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    CAE can cause hard udder and blood test can confirm, which is never a bad idea to see if a goat is CAE positive, but its not the only cause for congested udders. Sometimes there is a mineral deficiency, usually Selenium.
    If the Congestion is caused by CAE then sadly it won't resolve. If you can't pull blood yourself, a vet can do it. Test its self is cheap at about 4 bucks. In the mean time continued work on her udder is needed. No way around that part I'm afraid.

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Shadi like this.
  12. Shadi

Shadi Member

Feb 19, 2021
    Lebanon
    Well that i'll do, i hope it will resolve eventually, thanks alot ladies you've been both super helpful.
    i'll be posting a few pics of the newborns soon and they are super cute so stay tuned :inlove:

13. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    @Shadi - how are your doe & kids? Are both kids accepting bottles to supplement now?