The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a small herd of Nigerian Dwarfs and have been looking to add two does to fill out my milking schedule. I've found one registered, tested girl that I'm picking up tomorrow and I have an opportunity to "rescue" another young registered doe. The second doe has been kept with a Boer buck. I know. I have never dealt with this type of situation before and I'm looking for other's experience as far as ending the pregnancy with lute (I'll have her blood tested at least if I do end up with her). Or would it be too late in the pregnancy if the blood test is positive? I have no idea how far along she might be if she is pregnant but I do know that she is not "showing". Any tips? Or should I avoid her all together? She's a beautiful doe with lots of potential in the right home but I don't want to get her home and have her have complications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
With not knowing when she was bred, I would let the pregnancy go on. Just be careful how you feed her. Many do have successful births. But be ready to assist or get vet out.
Ok. I don't give any grain except to my milking mamas who need to keep weight on or if someone is looking skinny in the winter time. I pasture my goats but live in New York so it's hay for about 5 months a year. Is it simply a no grain diet that keeps the kids smaller or is there a specific hay that is best? I generally have 2nd cut orchard grass mix and alfalfa.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
8,336 Posts
You would want to isolate any new ones from your herd to prevent disease transmission. I agree, it might be an expensive heartache to get a Nigerian bred to a Boer. It could work out ok, but probably not.
If you do get that doe- I would work with a vet and abort the fetus. Treat like inducing a doe to kid, give Dex then Lutelyse. Your vet can guide you. (The dex softens the cervix and Lute starts the labor). People get upset when aborting is mentioned, but it is to save the mother goat's life. (I am not trying to be controversial).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,237 Posts
Welcome to TGS, you’ve got a great group here to support you. My thoughts are:
If you do decide to get the “rescue” you should just go ahead and lute her. I know that sounds cold and I’m sorry about that. There’s nothing more heartbreaking than losing both a momma and a baby. If you lute now, she’ll live to breed another day but if the boer did breed her and she tries to deliver a kid that won’t fit through her pelvis you risk losing both.
It’s a call only you can make. I have nigies too and personally I wouldn’t risk the doe for this.
I wish you the best in whatever you decide and again welcome to our little group.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
31,640 Posts
The doe with a boer buck is also a nigerian? And young!! That is dangerous. If you decide you want to chance her..I would lute her! Might start with a vet visit..blood work to confirm and maybe ultra sound to see how big kids are so you're prepared for how hard it may be on her.

Best wishes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Hi there, I have a small herd of Nigerian Dwarfs and have been looking to add two does to fill out my milking schedule. I've found one registered, tested girl that I'm picking up tomorrow and I have an opportunity to "rescue" another young registered doe. The second doe has been kept with a Boer buck. I know. I have never dealt with this type of situation before and I'm looking for other's experience as far as ending the pregnancy with lute (I'll have her blood tested at least if I do end up with her). Or would it be too late in the pregnancy if the blood test is positive? I have no idea how far along she might be if she is pregnant but I do know that she is not "showing". Any tips? Or should I avoid her all together? She's a beautiful doe with lots of potential in the right home but I don't want to get her home and have her have complications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I brought/rescued a couple of pygmy does this summer that had been purposely breed with a Boer buck. The Buck was a big beautiful guy, but I worried about the does. This was going to be their FF and they were both only yearlings. I brought them home and this was only going to be my second time kidding. I read as many past post as I could here on the goat spot trying to be as prepared as possible, for possible complications with the births. They were huge and I was praying for trips or quads. I was carefully monitoring there feed but I didn't have a due date. The big day finally came and the smaller doe Casper had triplets early in the morning before I came to check 2 live buck, doe and the third a buck, still in the sack. The second doe Wendy went into labor later that same day as well. She had a difficult time, I had too go in, I was so nervous about the situation. I felt some hoofs and grabbed a hold to pull with the next contraction. Managed to get the doe out she was bigger than the other kids. Then contractions started again and an even larger buck was next to be pulled out saddly he was still born. If either of the girls would have had a single they may not have made it. It can be done, although it was kinda stressful for me not knowing the due date or how many.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,237 Posts
I’ve used lute once on an accidental Young pregnancy and it wasn’t horrible for my doe. She did abort a small fetus and I just treated her like she had given birth. I wormed her a couple days after and checked her udder to make sure she didn’t fill with milk or get mastitis and then she was fine. In fact, now old enough to kid safely, I just bred her last cycle, and I think she took and she’ll give birth around the end of March. I send blood out next week. (Fingers crossed)
Good luck :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Hi there, I have a small herd of Nigerian Dwarfs and have been looking to add two does to fill out my milking schedule. I've found one registered, tested girl that I'm picking up tomorrow and I have an opportunity to "rescue" another young registered doe. The second doe has been kept with a Boer buck. I know. I have never dealt with this type of situation before and I'm looking for other's experience as far as ending the pregnancy with lute (I'll have her blood tested at least if I do end up with her). Or would it be too late in the pregnancy if the blood test is positive? I have no idea how far along she might be if she is pregnant but I do know that she is not "showing". Any tips? Or should I avoid her all together? She's a beautiful doe with lots of potential in the right home but I don't want to get her home and have her have complications.
Instead of luting her up, why not keep her and monitor the size of the babies throughout the pregnancy? I feel, but could be wrong, that lute shouldn't be used as often as it is. You can always induce her later in pregnancy once they are a good enough size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
This is going to sound really harsh but I’m going to give my opinion. I would pass her all together. She might be a nice doe and she might be pulling at your heart strings but the person who has her did the #1 no no rule of all times and that is letting a boer even around her. If the owner is that clueless, or just didn’t care, what else might there be that you can’t see? I am thinking along diseases that you can’t see and that would put the goats that you already have at risk. I have been in your shoes and I have seen ones that I feel so bad for or that I think oh I could totally fix that, the owner just didn’t know better, but then I think about the ones I have and it’s just not worth it.
If you do think that is uncalled for, which is fine, what if the lute doesn’t work? What if it’s too late for lute? What if lute screws with her where she doesn’t breed again or you have to dump money into hormones to get her where she is able to conceive. I honestly can not tell you if it’s worth it to you or not, these would just be questions I would be asking myself and to me the answer would be not worth it. Like I said harsh but that’s my opinion. There’s many good goats without any issue what so ever out there.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
31,640 Posts
@AndersonRanch I don't disagree with that at all...I would pass as well. Great advice I heard here long ago.."Don't buy someone else's mistake" It is hard when when you feel bad for the goat..but sometimes you have to take a deep breath and walk away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is going to sound really harsh but I'm going to give my opinion. I would pass her all together. She might be a nice doe and she might be pulling at your heart strings but the person who has her did the #1 no no rule of all times and that is letting a boer even around her. If the owner is that clueless, or just didn't care, what else might there be that you can't see? I am thinking along diseases that you can't see and that would put the goats that you already have at risk. I have been in your shoes and I have seen ones that I feel so bad for or that I think oh I could totally fix that, the owner just didn't know better, but then I think about the ones I have and it's just not worth it.
If you do think that is uncalled for, which is fine, what if the lute doesn't work? What if it's too late for lute? What if lute screws with her where she doesn't breed again or you have to dump money into hormones to get her where she is able to conceive. I honestly can not tell you if it's worth it to you or not, these would just be questions I would be asking myself and to me the answer would be not worth it. Like I said harsh but that's my opinion. There's many good goats without any issue what so ever out there.
I don't think it's harsh at all! It is what I've decided to do. I appreciate all the advice though, thank you. You all have been very helpful for me, I already have my new doe in isolation anyway and don't want to set up another place for a rescue project that I don't know what I'm really getting in to with. I feel bad for her but, not my circus not my monkeys I suppose. I've worked hard and spent a lot of money to have a well rounded, disease free herd so why risk that.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top