Hi (AZ)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by OhCee, Feb 26, 2010.

1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Hi everyone! My name is Natalie and I just got two young does this week! Let's see if I can get the pictures to work...
    [​IMG].
    They are both Nigerian Dwarfs, but not registered. My boyfriend and I got them "to help with the weeds in our yard," but I really just have always loved mini goats and this seemed like a perfect rationalization!
    [​IMG]
    The Black/White girl is 2 years old and very pregnant (she had triplets last time), and developing a bit of a bag, so the guy we got them from said she's probably a month or so out?

The white (with little hints of red) girl was exposed to a buck for 2 weeks, but we'll just have to see. She just had her first birthday this month.

They are very sweet little girls and I'm working on getting a better toy/play setup for them. I'm thinking cable spools from Lowes?

Anywho, I spent 2.5 years in Animal Science (College of Ag) at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo before switching majors to nursing. I took a sheep management class and ruminant nutrition courses, as well as beef show and handling on top of the other species courses. I'm feeding alfalfa hay, a little bit of Purina goat chow (hand feeding to get them to like me) and they have a salt(not mineral) lick. I have wormer for the inevitable kids, they have fresh water twice a day and a huge covered dog crate to get weather protection when it rains (rare usually, but actually common this winter here in Phoenix). I'm working on making a keyhole feeder out of a rubbermaid box because I want to see what layout works best before I build one after we move to Montana in a few months. Both girls are disbudded, so a keyhole feeder seems like the way to go?

Any input, advice, or really anything would be greatly appreciated! I'm 3 days new at this and have already learned a lot from them :) (Plus, my corgi, Ashur, loves them)

Oh!! Name recommendations would be AWESOME! I always take a while to name my pets :) :ponder:

Thanks guys!

2. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    welcome from aussieland :welcome:
    very pretty goats :)

3. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
  4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hey Natalie...WELCOME :wave:

You have 2 very pretty girls there... the blue eyes on the younger one are very striking!

6. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Hello and welcome from NE Ohio:) I agree those eyes are beautiful!!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    terrible with names too!

congrats on the new additions and the ones on the way :leap:

welcome to TGS :wave:

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Hi! Welcome to the group. :wave: Your girls are very cute!

Do you have a separate sheltered area set up for the doe when she kids? Does usually won't share a shelter with other does during or after kidding... so you may want to think of getting another shelter... even a dog house would work for the time being. :) They don't really need a salt lick... but minerals are important so be sure to get those too.

I bet you can't wait to see those new babies!!!!!! What did the buck look like?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome...you have some nice goaties there..... :wave: :greengrin: :wink:

10. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I'm going to set up a larger shelter for her in a couple weeks. The buck was a silver and white with blue eyes, so I'm hoping for some blue eyed babies :) I really like the spotted look on her.

Which mineral supplement do you use? Should I get the 4lb block, or the huge one, or the pellets and offer daily?

On a side note: I got the white girl to come to me and eat out of my hand on her own with the b/w girl penned up :laugh: She was wayyyyy scared of people when I first got her- making me think that when we do expand the herd after our move, I want to get babies so they can be brought up with constant love and attention and not be scared.

Thanks everyone for the compliments on her eyes and the welcomes :) I appreciate it!

Any name ideas? :p

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    as to the minerals --- I suggest loose minerals (looks like sand) and you leave that out in a feeder 24/7 so they can eat as they need it.

congrats on the improvement for your one doe already. Note that any change in home will cause goats to be skittish most of the time. I have bought some real friendly goats who once they arrived took a month to settle in and accept me and let me handle them. So goats have quite the personalities

12. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Hi and welcome! :wave: You have two wonderful looking goats there, but I don't need to tell you that. :wink: Your white one has a very precious face and the white peeking out on the legs of the other one is so cute. :thumbup:

13. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Welcome from eastern Ohio! :wave:

14. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Hi there! I'm new here too!
    Welcome from TX!

15. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I'm not good at names either! LOL Sorry.

I use Sweetlix Meat Maker loose minerals left out free choice for my goaties.
    Stacey is correct about personalities.... some of my friendliest goats act terrified when they get to their new homes... it just depends on the individual goat. Either way... I'm sure they will be friendly in a month or so when they get used to you and realize you aren't going to hurt them. :)

As far as blue eyes.... Blue is the dominant gene in goats.... so there is a good chance that you will get some blue eyed babies. :thumbup:

16. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    you asked for names...

Salt & Pepper....
    Swanlie & Sophie...

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    marley, giselle, sophia, twiggy, clover, panda ( i know creative), deena, jenny, wanda, jaime, aspen, i could go on.. if needed

18. Native87

Native87 New Member

Welcome to TGS. Glad to have you here. :)

19. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Ok, well I have new pics! And names :)

The White girl with hints of red is "Baina" (bah EEN ah) which is a traditional African name meaning "glittering"
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And the B/W dalmation girl is "Urbi" (OOR be) which means "princess" because of her white crown on her head, and because of her attitude! I was wondering how far along you think she is? I will get a pic of her udder tomorrow! I forgot, heh. She had triples her first kidding (I was told).
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks! Y'all are too sweet :)

20. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Welcome. Love the names and the pics. Just keep in mind that you are so close to kidding to read up on that. There are some basic supplies you will need on hand but with a nursing background most of that should make since. Also if you are going to disbud the babies you need to have a plan for that because it needs to be done usually within the first week of birth. If you don't know someone who has the equipment and is willing to help you need to get that in order. Also if you aren't going to keep any male babies as bucks you need a plan on dealing with that. I don't want to overwhelm anyone just be aware.

Evan