The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New dwarf goat parents!! We have had them 12 days and they are about 3 months old we think. They are weaned and are doing fairly well. However there is SOOO much information out here it is hard to figure out what will apply and what won't. They are fairly wild and we have been getting them used to us day by day. So much of the information here is, check this and that and the problem is we can't get near them unless they are "cornered"!
Anyway, we have dogs, cats, and reptiles, but this would be our first hooved animal. So anyone willing to give some advice, especially in my state, would be more than welcome!
Thanks for reading!!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Welcome to TGS and congratulations on your new goats! :)
It can be quite an adventure getting the wild ones to trust you, I know from experience! How big of a pen do you have them in?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to TGS and congratulations on your new goats! :)
It can be quite an adventure getting the wild ones to trust you, I know from experience! How big of a pen do you have them in?
It's a 16x 32 at the moment. We are halving that soon though so it will just be a 16 x16 because my daughter has a 4H pig project coming up in a couple of weeks. This is just to get through the winter though. We have 3 acres and plan on fencing an acre(where the kudzu grows) for them. I am hoping by that time we won't have to catch them every time we have to do something(medication, powders, or hooves. So not looking forward to that part!)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

I just saw that you and my mom share the same birthday (May 2nd)!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some people have different methods of taming them. the one i liked is going out and sitting in their pen reading a book out loud. Feeding treats out of your hand
Before it got into single digits, we were sitting out and just "ignoring" them. Talking some but no way they would come up to us. (reading out loud is a great idea) My daughter laid out with them last night since we had them in the house and got one to come up and "Huff" at her. (was scared to do a heat lamp due to fire or them getting too hot, plus one has scours a little bit and was shivering night before last)

·
Registered
48 Posts
New dwarf goat parents!! We have had them 12 days and they are about 3 months old we think. They are weaned and are doing fairly well. However there is SOOO much information out here it is hard to figure out what will apply and what won't. They are fairly wild and we have been getting them used to us day by day. So much of the information here is, check this and that and the problem is we can't get near them unless they are "cornered"!
Anyway, we have dogs, cats, and reptiles, but this would be our first hooved animal. So anyone willing to give some advice, especially in my state, would be more than welcome!
Thanks for reading!!
Welcome to TGS. I'm a new member myself and looking to learn too. I understand what you're saying but these folks know their stuff. My babies were born 11/11 twin girls so I don't have them just yet. With you he extreme cold we're having in Florida this week and sleet/snow expected tomorrow we thought we'd wait another week to get them.

·
Catharina
2,247 Posts
If they are too shy yet to eat out of your hands, put their grain ration in a long handled cooking pan & hold it out to them. One they are comfortable with that you can gradually hold the pan closer to you. Once they are eating right by you, hold the pan with your fingers inside so they have to let their head touch your fingers to get the food. Once they are used to that you can try moving your fingers a little while they are eating. Feed their entire grain ration this way or from your hand if they are already eating from your hand. You can also hold out branches for them to eat.

Another thing that helps is to sit or crouch on the ground so you are at their level or lower, so you are less scary. It's good that they are in a small pen, so they are forced to be near you & learn that it is safe.

Mine is a feral breed & it can take a long time, especially if the goats are older when you get them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to TGS. I'm a new member myself and looking to learn too. I understand what you're saying but these folks know their stuff. My babies were born 11/11 twin girls so I don't have them just yet. With you he extreme cold we're having in Florida this week and sleet/snow expected tomorrow we thought we'd wait another week to get them.
We aren't sure exactly when they were born, but were fully weaned when we got them. So I'm estimating at 3 months.
The information is great! I just have to look up a lot of the "goat speak" especially when dealing with foods and meds. Lol
And YES! COLD! Usually we don't get our cold snap til February and hardly ever single digits! I hate it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If they are too shy yet to eat out of your hands, put their grain ration in a long handled cooking pan & hold it out to them. One they are comfortable with that you can gradually hold the pan closer to you. Once they are eating right by you, hold the pan with your fingers inside so they have to let their head touch your fingers to get the food. Once they are used to that you can try moving your fingers a little while they are eating. Feed their entire grain ration this way or from your hand if they are already eating from your hand. You can also hold out branches for them to eat.

Another thing that helps is to sit or crouch on the ground so you are at their level or lower, so you are less scary. It's good that they are in a small pen, so they are forced to be near you & learn that it is safe.

Mine is a feral breed & it can take a long time, especially if the goats are older when you get them.
My daughter has been in the floor every night this week just being there. She slept in front that of their cage the first night because she was worried about them being inside.

We've put their feed put where they have to come out of the crate and only a few feet from us. So glad to know that we are doing that right!

I didn't know there were actual feral breeds! Wow!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
When I first got my girls they were terrified of me. The only way I could do anything was to get someone to help me corner and catch them and then it was horrible. I would just spend time every day sitting with them, talking to them, offering treats they wouldn't come near. It took awhile (I honestly don't remember how long but it felt like forever) but i will never forget the first time Anabelle walked over and nudged my hand for a treat. Now I can't get them to leave me alone. If I am in the yard they are with me demanding lovies. My 17 y/o calls them our demon dogs because "they act like huge dogs but have horns and hooves". Lol Congratulations on being a new goat momma. You won't regret it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I first got my girls they were terrified of me. The only way I could do anything was to get someone to help me corner and catch them and then it was horrible. I would just spend time every day sitting with them, talking to them, offering treats they wouldn't come near. It took awhile (I honestly don't remember how long but it felt like forever) but i will never forget the first time Anabelle walked over and nudged my hand for a treat. Now I can't get them to leave me alone. If I am in the yard they are with me demanding lovies. My 17 y/o calls them our demon dogs because "they act like huge dogs but have horns and hooves". Lol Congratulations on being a new goat momma. You won't regret it!
Thanks! I hate it being so cold right now! But hopefully it will warm up above freezing soon so we can go and sit with them. I've got one that's losing hair too. So that's another obstacle since I'm going to have to catch her to treat her as well. :(

·
Goat Crazy!
6,468 Posts
Welcome to TGS! We're glad to have you here. Now...PICTURES? Because we TGSers LOVE pictures! Show us your shy little furbies!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The darker one seems to have some patches on her shoulders right now. I thought it was just a darker marking, but it now looks like the hair is being "worn down" is the only way I can explain it. They were itching more than I thought normal so I dusted with DE day before yesterday and will do it again tonight. However I'm curious if there is something else I should be looking for/doing?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts