The Goat Spot Forum banner

Hi from East Tennessee.

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  goat_farmer_pinki 
#1 ·
I came across this website while looking for any information I can get on goats. I am pretty new to raising goats. I'm 21 and live on a farm in East Tennessee. A little over a year ago my mom and I were at the flea market and thier was a man there with a nanny goat that was expecting for the first time. I seen her when I first walked by and she was so skinny and hadn't been taken care of so I bought her with intentions of getting her healthy and selling her to someone else but I fell in love with her. The next morning I built her a small barn and broke the news to dad that I was keeping her. After getting the fence ran and her barn built I knew she would have to have some company so I went in the next few days and picked out a billy goat. I now have the two and have expanded their area with intentions of getting another nanny. People around here seem to have goats but no one knows much about them so I've been doing lots of research and glad I found this board. Please excuse me if I ask a stupid question from time to time I am new at this after all. So hello everyone!

Sarah :wave:

#3 ·
welcome!!! Goats are so addicting aren't they!

Ask any questions you may have, that is just what this board is for. Some of us are newbies and some have been raising goats for years but we all learn something from each other.

Post pictures of your little goaties when you can because we love pictures :love:

#7 ·
Welcome Sarah, :wave:
I have to say I can not wait until we read about how many goats you have in a year.

Congratulations on what you did to take that doe in. It sounds you have the goat itch, and i have to tell you it will never go away. It is a wonderful feeling, :clap: :leap:

#8 ·
Welcome to the goat spot Sarah! As there is a saying on here that is often quoted..."The only stupid questions are those that are not asked"...we all try and help each other in any way we know...and I would love to see your goaties...did the doe kid yet?

#9 ·
I would like to Thank Everyone for the Warm Welcome!!! You all seem so helpful and nice thank you a bunch. As for the questions when I took the doe in (Sunshine) she was about a month preggers we had babies last May. I have had her a year and 5 months. When she kidded it was a new experience for all of us. She had two a buckling and a doeling...I sold then buckling to a lady I worked with and hes doing great I get updates and get to go see him. The doeling is a very sad story. She was my moms baby and on Christmas day some stray dogs came threw and she didnt make it threw the attack. The dogs were so agressive they actually turned on me I was scared to death. Needless to say the stray dogs are no more. It took mom a while to get over the loss of Ashes, this weekend we went and got a new baby her name is Milk Dud shes fitting in really well. As for Sunshine...I've been watching and altho I tried to keep from it I believe she'll be kidding around August 23. Our Buck got out of the fence and in with her a month ago I dont know how long he was out with her but its looking like were going to have little ones. I'm excited about it I just wish they wouldn't be born that time of year. Anywho I must get going we're having a calf get out everynight and I've gotta find out where its getting out at. Like I said Thanks to Everyone for the Warm Welcome!!!!

Sarah

#10 ·
Sarah, I am so sorry that you lost the little doe. I am glad that you are ok, and the dogs did not get you. I am glad to hear that the dogs are not around anymore. Did you know where they came from or who's dogs they were?
It is a terrible thing when the babies or any goat is killed like that but that is nature. It doesn't make it any easier but that does happen. You are not the first it has happened to and you will not be the last either. And Christmas of all days.
Well on the other hand, Congratulations on the new babies that will be coming in a few months.

#11 ·
Sweegoats, of course when it come down to what happend to the doe no one wanted to claim the dogs because we had pictures and we could have pressed charges. We also learned that the next farm over had lost a few calves due to the same dogs. The man over there "took care of them" if you know what I mean. Knock on wood we haven't had a problem since then.

Sarah

#13 ·
Don't you just love a man that knows how to handle that situation! Welcome, we love to hear it all. I forced myself to read every post...even the "not so pleasant" posts, I figured if I was going to raise goats I had to "know it all" the good and the bad. My advice, go to the kidding link and read them...even the old ones...you'll learn so much. Actually Stacey just had a situation, very interesting.

#14 ·
Hello, welcome! :wave:
Are you near Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge in TN? That is usually where we go on vacation. It is so nice out there!!! :)
We had a pack of stray dogs around my area. They were on my aunt's porch and they went nextdoor and attacked their chickens. They even took down a horse! I hope they never make it over here. They were pretty close to my house too, right down the road. :(

#15 ·
Hailee's Herd I'm not far from Gatlinberg. I actually spend some time down there the mountains are so beautiful aren't they? I live near Cumberland Gap Historic Park right on the Tennessee, Kentucky, Virgina border. Its also beautiful there if anyone has a chance to go. I wouldn't trade my country life and Mountains for anything.

#16 ·
Hailee's Herd I'm not far from Gatlinberg. I actually spend some time down there the mountains are so beautiful aren't they? I live near Cumberland Gap Historic Park right on the Tennessee, Kentucky, Virgina border. Its also beautiful there if anyone has a chance to go. I wouldn't trade my country life and Mountains for anything.

#18 ·
Actually when I was younger we spent 2 weeks at a time in the summer and Cades Cove. We acutally went so much we knew other people who camped there yearly. We do make it to Cades Cove atleast 3 to 4 times a year. As far as Dixie Stampede I have actually never been but we almost always have season passes to Dollywood. Oh all this talk makes me want to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.