The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to being a goat owner and joined the forum to learn what I can. I was given a pygmy buck by a friend's brother that could no longer keep him. The plan was to keep him only until we could find him a new home but the little guy has wormed his way into my heart and my family. Scooby is quite the character and keeps us all entertained. When I first got Scoob he had very little handling and would run away from people. After spending many hours spent in his pen trying to win him over he now has free run of my yard during the day and will follow me around like a lost puppy. He's a year old and has earned the nickname Stinky, but hopefully that will change when he gets fixed (don't know the technical term) later this month. Anyway, here are a couple pics of the little guy....

·
730 Posts
I love his "HEAD GEAR"!! You be careful around his horns...those are the shape that will hurt you before you know it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome. We are in Delaware County PA, about 10 miles outside Philly. We have two Pygmy does about 4 months old, who we've named Razzle and Dazzle. We love them!

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
welcome from Central Texas :D

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Welcome from Armstrong Co. PA :wave:

Scooby is a cutie... and yes he will be much nicer to be around once he's been wethered :)
I raise Nigerian Dwarf but started out 13 years ago with Pygmy/Nigerian crosses.... I have my original doe Bootsie who has horns similar in shape to your little guy, STRAIGHT up! Be careful of those accidental pokes they can be very painful.
Most of my goats with horns have those that curve backward, Boots and her grand daughter Heidi have ones that go straight up... with my wether Teddy, his horns are heavy like a bucks would be because I castrated him at 2 years old, other wise I think his horns would have grown to be more like Angels, curved back but not as heavy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome from California! Does your goat have a buddy?
No he doesn't have a buddy right now besides my 2 Pit Bulls and my cats. After he is wethered I would like to get him a friend. I'm starting to worry that he may actually be getting too attached to me since he has had free run of the yard during the day. He follows me everywhere, he will even follow me in the house and up and down the basement steps. He will walk up to me and rub his head all over me, he will even go as far as standing on his back legs and putting his front feet on me like a dog to get my attention. And when I walk in the house and shut the door he will stand and call for me for a couple minutes before he wonders off to do whatever. Is this normal behavior? I think it will get better once he gets a buddy.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
He needs a friend. Goats are herd animals so they do better with two or more. I think he has adopted you as his herd friend. lol. Do be careful of those horns. He is a cutie that is for sure. Welcome from New Hampshire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts