Hi from Scotland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kathyg, Jul 28, 2009.

1. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    :wave: everyone. Just thought I would introduce myself. I have chickens and ducks for years but never had goats. Just about to get 1 or 2 female pygmy goats.

All advice welcome. :type:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome so glad you joined us. I love pygmy goats they are just to cute.

If you have questions feel free to ask we will do our best to help :D

3. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I've got loads of questions :thumbup: is this the correct thread to put them on ?

First question (and most important) is that I only want ONE pygmy goat to begin with to 'break' me in gently and then get another one later on. I have had differing views on this. What is the general consensus on this please ?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi and Welcome!

Pygmies are so sweet! And beware, they are addicting....I have quite a few pygmy/nigerian dwarf crosses :greengrin:

To be "broke" in to the care of goaties you would do better with getting 2, much easier on you when they have a buddy :greengrin:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome to TGS!!! :clap: You'll love it here!

I highly recommend starting with two goats...whatever breed that may be, but pygmies are great. :thumb: One goat by itself tends to get VERY lonely and can cry constantly, try and escape to find other goaties, and will generally be an unhappy goat. They are a herd animal and prefer to be with at least another species of its kind unlike a dog or cat that really doesn't mind to much being the only one. Although, some goats don't mind being alone. Not trying to scare you or anything...just wanted to give a heads up. If you could get a pair...that would be ideal.

6. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    But would it be detrimental to the goat to just have one to begin with ?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    actualy 2 is better. 1 will be lonely and two will keep each other company. Goats are herd animals and do much better when there are 2 or more. Goats can get depressed if left alone, can get out of their pen seeking company or just be noisy because they want you to be around all the time (can can be noisy even with a companion though :p)

now if you get two yes there is one more mouth to feed, a large house is needed and a bigger pen as well as twice the chance of illness or injury. But you will find that once you have food and hay its not hard to put a just a bit more and goats yes can get ill or hurt but 95% of the time they are just carefree goats enjoying themselves.

I love watching the goats interact, especialy a mom and daughter or siblings, there is such a bond there.

8. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I only wanted them for pets. I don't have a lot of acreage. Just a big garden. I really really wanted just one to begin with and would get another 1 when I have got the hang of it more. Still not sure I would want 2 to begin with, but I understand what you mean about having 2 and herd animals etc., We have 2 dogs and dogs being pack animals, they are better with 2 but having 1 wouldn't harm them. What I don't want to happen is just to get 1 goat and find that it pines and dies because it is by itself (someone told me that today !).

9. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I have a lot of questions so I will start a new topic under Goat Frenzy if that is okay.

:thumbup:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    1 little goat won't die from lonliness, but they can get depressed and that could lead to general unthriftiness. Single goats are lonely goats, if you had to leave for any period of time, it would be alone as it would see you as "part of the herd" and would cry for you, searching. Pitiful too,2 goats won't be any harder to care for than one, and you have satisfaction knowing that they have each other when you are not around.

11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome! I raise registered Pygmies!

At first we only had one, she was really depressed. I think if we hadn't gotten her a buddy we may have lost her. Defintely reccomend at least 2. ;)

Welcome to TGS! :wave:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from North Idaho!!!

We are very glad to have you here with us - and can't wait to see the goat/s when you get them.

I have to second, third, or what ever number we are on (hehe) about getting 2 goats to start and not just one. Instead of repeating, I will just say that I "have" seen a goatie die from being lonely. I had a bottle baby that lived in the house for the first 5 weeks of his life. He saw my husband, myself, and my dogs as his "herd" but when it came time to take him out to the pen to be a goat - he got extremely lonely - even with 30 other goats out there. He would not eat, would walk the fence line trying to find a way out, and once he got out he would be on our porch at the door screaming and crying. So - he got to come in at night and then out in the day. Well, finally hubby said enough, I put him out in the boy pen (he was 5 months old) and it was a pen he couldn't get out of - within 3 days he died. I really believe it was from a broken heart.

I, personally, will not sell a goatie unless they have others at home or they are purchasing two. Some only want a little girl, so I give them a price break on a castrated male to keep her company :)

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome......kathyg..... :wave: from northern California...we are here to help... if you have anymore questions ...feel free to ask....glad you are here :greengrin:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW from Scotland, that is way cool.

Congratulations on the new addition that you are getting. Welcome :wave: and bring on the questions.

15. Ditto and you have some great comments here already. Welcome and enjoy. We are glad you are here. :wave: :wahoo: :thumbup: :clap:

16. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your very welcome.... :greengrin:

18. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine