Hi & How many goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Melissa, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Hi everyone-- first time posting, but long time reader!

I hope no one laughs me out of town, but I have only 3 ND wethers, all about 4 mos. old. I LOVE them to pieces :love: ! Can't wait to get more... BUT what is the healthy limit to how many I can keep? I have a 6 x 8 little shed/barn.

Melissa

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hello Melissa and welcome :wave: So glad you decided to join us.

Now I am sorry, am not sure how many would work. I would really think that your three is about enough. They have to have a place to run, jump and play. I know people that have smaller area's but have lots of "toys" for them to play on.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome

yah I would have to agree you probably dont want to be adding many more if at all to that size shelter. How big is your pen?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi Melissa!
    I'd agree, a 6x8 shed is room enough for 3 but I wouldn't add more bodies to that space, your little guys are young yet...imagine them full grown in that space. Besides that, you enjoy them now but adding more means more hooves to trim and more poop to clean when the amount of "work" involved caring for their needs increases you'll find less time to enjoy seeing them be sweet goaty pets. I have 9 and work 40+ hours a week as well as take care of my hubby and house chores...and sometimes I feel badly that I'm not giving each of my "kids" the attention they deserve.

5. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Jan 22, 2010
    That's what my gut said-- stick with what I have and enjoy them! Thanks for confirming! My pen is pretty large-- partly on ledge, so they do have a lot of space to run and a natural little rocky mountain to climb! They're so much fun and the talk of the neighborhood!!!

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They are fun aren't they? I do love to just sit and relax and watch as even my older girls get in the mood to play....not too often I get to see my 10 year old doe leave the ground and I totally cherish each time she acts like a kid again :love:

You'll find out that when it comes to goats...ALWAYS go with those "gut" feelings, and believe it or not...the heart too :hug:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.... :hi5: :thumb:

8. goatbless

goatbless New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Nice to meet you! I am also a long time reader, but a bit bashful because I haven't been able to have goats for a while now. In the past I have owned a few goats- I was up to four does at one point, but only had one wether at another point. I think I prefer just two or three, because I absolutely baby my goats and treat them like pets. Not to mention that two goats can turn into six goats if they both kid twins(which has happened to friends of mine). I suspect when I do have more space I will end up gradually increasing my herd to a maximum of six, just because I will inevitably keep kids from my does- but for now I'd be happy to just have a pair again(hopefully soon- as pets and milkers). It's just so hard to find people who don't look at you like you're from space when you tell them you want to keep goats!
    For your shelter it sounds like you have a good number for your space. I think it depends on the size of the yard also, and having a lean to off the outside of the shed is nice for them if they want a place to lay away from the group..