Hi I'm a new goat mum needing advice ☺️

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Goat Mumma, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Goat Mumma

Goat Mumma New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    New Zealand
    Hi from New Zealand.
    I'm a new goat mum, my hubby went out hunting Sunday and brought back a feral kid for our 9year old. I'm not on how old she is but would guess at about a week?

My issue is she's not interested in drinking. I'm forcing the teat (the red and yellow, same one we've used for pet lambs previously and recommended by Google) but she's only suckled a few times. Other wise I'm just forcing her to swallow as it drips into her mouth or she dribbled it out the side. I've brought milk powder which says she should be having roughly 6 feeds of 150mls each. It's taking about 45 mins to get a 150ml into her. She seems happy enough, is bouncing around and playing but any advice on how to get her to drink would be awesome. 45minutes is a long time at 2 in the morning when I have to get up to go to work. I thought she was finally getting the hang of it at this mornings feed but when I get home from work she was refusing again. It's like she bites down on the teat and just sits there with it dribbling all down her front and all down me.

Also I discovered the afternoon after bringng her home that she is full of lice. Called a vet and he gave us a little bit of pour on drench which we applied 24+ hours ago but I'm still combing out hundreds of live lice. Is there anything else I can use to get rid of them? Can I bath her with dog flea shampoo as that's what I've got in the cupboard?

Thanks for any advice.
    It's been a long time since I've raised a goat and I'm sure that one wasn't this stubborn untill later on in life.
    Pic of baby girl below Polish_20200920_181834127.jpg

2. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, but your girl is absolutely adorable!!:inlove:

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Kass like this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Try putting a little bit of honey on the nipple. Get some on your finger first and put it on her tongue to get her to understand that it tastes good and then when she's got the hang of sucking honey off your finger sneak the honeyed nipple in. You could try molasses if the honey doesn't work out or if you only have that.

I don't think it would matter to give her a bath as long as you get her warm and dry afterward, but maybe wait for another opinion before going ahead with it.

I'm going to call some other members who might have more advice for you.
    @happybleats @Tanya @ksalvagno

She sure is a cutie. How tame is she since she's feral?

4. MellonFriend

Oh I should also mention, you should check for cleft pallet just to be sure she's not dealing with that.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh my..what a doll. As Mellonfriend mentioned..honey on the nipple often works. And patients. Also might try just regular whole cows milk from the grocery store. Replacer often makes babies sick and some just do not like the taste no matter what. Be sure to weigh her and feed her based on that. She should get at least 10% of her body weight in oz. Then adjust as needed. Start by getting her weight in oz... For ex: if she weighs 5 pounds..x16= 80 oz now times that amount by 10% = 8..so she would get 8 oz of milk a day divided into 4 feedings..so 2 oz a feeding. Once shes fed..stand her up and feel her tummy..you want a flat but firm tummy..not too poochy and not sunken in. Adjust +/- as needed.
    If increase is needed..add 1/2 oz at a time to get that happy tummy. If she gets too poochy..try dividing the 8 oz into 6 bottles so she is still getting her minimum each day.

Best wishes

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Goat Mumma

Goat Mumma New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    New Zealand
    Thank you everyone for the replies. I tried the honey on her last feed before coming to work. She got my hopes up by having a good little suck/ nibble on my finger. So smothered the teat in honey while cheering to myself. But as soon as the bottle went in she clamped her jaws shut and refused. Will try again this afternoon and hopefully she'll be hungry enough by then.
    She's pretty friendly so far. Not as friendly and demanding as orphan lambs we have had but she has accepted me as goat mama. She is staying in the house at the moment in a little pen. When she's out she follows me around the house. Made a little house and pen for her outside yesterday and she went for a walk with a lead on around the lawn. Was happy to follow me around outside although I wasn't brave enough to let her off lose and risk her taking off.
    I'll Google what a clft pallet looks like and check

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Awe..sneaky little bugger..just keep trying. And try the whole milk if you haven't yet. Much better for her and she will love it more.

Best wishes

9. Goat Mumma

Goat Mumma New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    New Zealand
    Update.
    Baby girl had a bath tonight. I found a couple of ticks while combing out lice. Ticks are pretty rare here and knowing they could be passed onto the dogs had my running her a bath pretty quick.
    We had some whole goats milk from the supermarket I was feeding her the first 24hours while the feed stores were shut. She wasn't very fond of it then. But decided to try a half and half for her second bottle this afternoon (I was worried about switching her milk up too much and give her a tummy ache) and she drunk the whole bottle like a good girl with minimal mucking around.
    Tried again for her after bath bottle though and she's been less enthusiastic. Just chewing the honey off. Hubby wanted to try the teat that came with the baby's bottle I brought to make it easier to keep track of how much she's drunk with each feed. She was much more willing to chew and try have a little suck on it but the teat seemed too short for her to get a good hold on it.
    Still a happy girl although it's 9.30pm here and she has only had about 9 of her 18 ounce minimum for the day

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    sounds like she will come around before you know it. Yes going slow with switching the milk is a good idea. Good job! She couldn't have landed in better hands.

11. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Great job! I had a stubborn little one and half goats milk and half cows milk was the Magic formula that finally got her to suck well. Make sure you put a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day and I didn't see if you were warming the bottle but it needs to be 100*F -101*F
    I used a medium flow human baby nipple instead of the Pritchard teat nipple and it worked a lot better. Once Thalia started really drinking I went with a high flow until she was weaned.
    Yes, there was a lot of fighting but once she figures it out it'll be easy.
    What a sweet little doeling! She's adorable,just a thought, if you haven't already, you might want to check her eyelids to make sure they're nice and red. Pink or light pink means that she could be getting anemic google FAMACHA scoring to see what I mean. Lice and being off mom would make her susceptible to it.
    I had the same problem with Thalia. I have a whole thread about our adventure somewhere. I'll edit once I find it. She's now 15 month and doing great. Good luck and welcome to the Goat Spot, it's great to have you here.

Here’s our adventure, I finally found it:
    http://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/orphan-rescue-need-advice-asap.206385/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@Goat Mumma welcome to baby goats and the forum. Your hubby sounds like me. If it alone and I don't see momma near by it gets a new home.

Dog shampoo may cause her skin to dry up a bit, but fleas do not like the smell of tea tree oil and mint oil.
    The honey teat is definately a good way to get her to drink. Whole cows milk is easier for their tummy at that age, and you are right, she is about a week old. I discovered with my little girl - Destiny - that she actually prefered a human teat to the traditional animal teat. You could try that.
    How warm are you making her feed? I discovered and was advised on this forum - which by the way is awesome - that the milk should be approximately a little warmer than her body temp. Cold feed is not good for babies ruman untill she is much older and not caring how she gets her fix..... :)

You should just watch her feacal matter. If it becomes runny you got to get her to a vet..... they dehydrate very quickly and she may not make it.

Formula also is difficult b ecause no matter how well you make it, too much powder dehydrates, too much water will kill her. Never feed water through a bottle. If you want her start drinking water, just put it in a shallow dish to start and put your head in it so she can see what to do with it.

Don't feed her too many solids at first three weeks. at 4 weeks you can start taking her to explore. Also, your baby is gonna need a friend. She will get bored and your yard, car and any thing she finds amusing will get destroyed.

Goats explore with their mouths and tongue. Be prepared to be licked, bitten, chewed and peed on. But don't let her dominate you ever......

My fingures hurt now, but you have such an adorable baby

13. Goat Mumma

Goat Mumma New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    New Zealand
    Hey guys thanks for all the info.

I made her bottle early hours this morning a bit hotter then I normally would by accident (I've been making it same as I would for a baby) and she drunk it better so Ive not long gotten home from work, made her a bottle of half anlamb formula and half whole goats milk, hotter than normal with honey on the teat and she drunk a whole 135ml! (4 1/2 oz). Started with the baby bottle but she was having trouble so switched back to the red and yellow teat and she guzzled it down.
    We had half decent weather today too so she spent her first day out in the pen with her little house while I was at work.

Checked her eyes and she seems ok. I spent hours the last couple of nights combing lice from her plus she has had first drench and will be getting another one in a few days to kill any new hatchlings that I have missed.

At the moment she is making friends with my old girl dog, I don't trust the young ones enough with her but the old girl has been lamb Mumma lots of times before. Once baby girl (miss 9 is swapping between naming her Azlan, like the lion witch and wardrobe and Honey, because she likes honey so much) is weaned she will go to my mother in law's who has a bit more land and two pet goats already for her to hopefully make friends with.

Adding a couple of photos from yesterday because she's just so cute
    Polish_20200922_174910134.jpg Snapchat-617966329.jpg

14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You are doing great! I am glad you have a dog mom to help. She will love the other goat friends when you take her there. She looks so happy. Keep going. And post more adorable pictures.

MadHouse likes this.
  15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good news..you can start decreasing the replacer and increasing whole cows milk. Now you are half half. Go to 1/4 replacer 3/4 milk next few bottles and so forth. So excited shes doing well.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  16. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yes! that's such great news :). Happy dance!
    Baby goats need their milk warmer than human babies. Don't forget the pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day and get rid of the powdered milk ....with whole cows milk it'll be better for both of you.
    You're doing a great job!
    Fantastic pictures, everyone looks so happy.

MadHouse likes this.
  17. MellonFriend

Aww she such a sweet heart.:inlove: Great to hear that you figured out how to get her to eat. Also good to hear that she got adopted by a dog momma. Goaties do love company.

MadHouse likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww, too cute.

Keep up the good work. ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  19. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Just saw this, what a sweet baby! How is she doing now?