Hi, I'm Linda

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by smwon, Aug 12, 2008.

1. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    I live in Northern California. We just bought two Nigerian kids. A doe and a wether. They are about 12 weeks old. I had wanted two does, but unfortunatly all her does were having bucks! So I chose to get a wether to keep her company. They are the cutest things, not really friendly though. We are working on that. When the doe is ready to breed, I can bring her to the breeder to breed.

I am excited to find this forum!
  2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome!!! :wave: Glad you've joined us! I haven't been on for long, but i've already learned tons and have been offered some excellent advice! This is a really fun forum!

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hello from ak. great to have you here, lots of information, and we love pictures, especially of goats :)
  4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hello Linda, :wave: Welcome to the goat spot. Glad you are here. So if you have been looking around here I am sure you know we all love pictures. Do you have any to share with us?
  5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    Welcome Linda, I am so glad you joined us!!! This forum is very friendly and has many knowledgeable people on it....please enjoy your stay!
  6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hello and Welcome from SW PA!! Glad you found us Linda! Your babies will come around and bond to you the more time you spend with them.sit in the pen with goodies like cheerios and raisins and soon enough they will be climbing into your lap for them....no sudden moves as they are already spooked, slow and easy they'll come around. Glad you knew to get 2 goaties also...one is just miserabley lonely. :greengrin:
  7. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    My kids don't care for 'treats' like that, I tried, but they LOVE alfalfa pellets and oak leaves.

Today I gave them alfalfa pellets and they came over to the bowl before I had moved away. So while standing there I reached down and felt their backs. They didn't seem to mind until I moved my foot and then it was - Whoa! What ya doing? - and they moved away. So they are slowly coming around. Before I couldn't do that at all.

My babies will be socialized from the beginning. But the lady I bought mine from never messed with them at all except to dehorn them and to band the wether.

Thanks for the welcomes!
  8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hi from central PA! Glad you found us. You'll be amazed how fast these little guys come around. I don't feed my little goaties when I go out to play with them, they are too focused on the food and not about being a pet. But, sometimes I take a little snack for me out and that makes them very curious, and draws them in.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome linda,
    I am a boer goat breeder.......from northern ca........ :wave:
    you will find this site very educational ,,I have learned alot here............
  10. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Welcome from Central OK Linda!! Glad you joined us. :)
  11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    welcome, sorry for the late response I have been a little out of it lately
  12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hi there! :wave:

Don't you worry, with patience and time (and goodies!) you'll have tame goats. Mine came to me, a doe and a wether, totally wild like march hares. I spent alot of time in the pen with them and gave them lots of little goodies, and now they scream when they hear me come outside, and delight in being rubbed all over and scratched.

13. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Hi Linda -

I'm a new goat owner too - I've had mine only 6 weeks and they were WILD (4 little cashmere wethers) when I brought them home and now they are my little buddies and follow me all around! Mine didn't like treats much at first - they though my grain was 'different' and raisins were bad - so I lured them in with birch leaves and fireweed. Now they mob me if they even see a box of raisins - its a total stampede and they love head scritches and neck rubs and are really coming round. Even the one that was the most skittish is letting me rub his body (as long as there are no sudden moves...) and they are great.

So, now I laugh - 6 weeks ago - I was getting this advice from all the goat people - and now I can pass on one little bit of encouragement - you'll see - you'll get those guys to come round in no time (ps - i work full time too so its not like I had to sit out there for hours...) - so welcome and good luck!

Patricia :sun:
  14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Welcome to the Goat Spot! :wave:
  15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    hi linda! i'm a nigerian breeder in southern cali. hope you love your babies
  16. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Oh I do love my babies! They get cuter and more endearing all the time!
  17. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hi Linda, welcome from TX. Goats are addicting so be careful :shades: