Hi, I'm new (: whos up for a game of "what breed are they?!"

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by amarillodream, Jun 11, 2010.

1. amarillodream

amarillodream New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Pennsylvania!
    Hi, I'm new to this site, and goats! I'm getting my first ones tomorrow! :clap:
    I have a bit of a story to as why I'm getting 4 goats... :type:
    My family recently bought our own horse farm. :greengrin: My mom and I are very big horse people, we have 6, and we compete and everything. I've always thought goats were great. and now i have my own land and convinced my mom into getting goats. The big winning reason to this is that we are a little bombarded with brush on our farm, and the goats can clean that up.
    We made arrangements with a pygmy goat breeder a month ago to get a wether and doe. They are 8 weeks old. We are getting them in a week, we waited until i was out of school to get them.
    But, in the past month, we came across two rescued goats at the Humane League while we were volunteering there and we are bringing them home tomorrow! They came from a cruelity situation where they were being underfed and were locked in dog crates. they are still young and are a little too underweight to be castrated just yet, we are taking them back to the Humane League's vet in a month to get castrated. But have no fear! they will be fattened up and happier then ever very soon!
    QUESTION 1: what breeds do they look like?! :scratch: :chin:
    [​IMG]Thats Luigi :)
    [​IMG]&& Thats Mario :)
    QUESTION 2: Is it safe to put all four of them together?(the 2 pygmies and the 2 rescues) They are too young to start making babies, right? :eek:hlala:
    QUESTION 3: Vaccines. What do goats need? does the vet have to do it?
    QUESTION 4: Minerals. are mineral blocks enough? what specific minerals are required for healthy goats?
    Thats all for now.. I'm sure there will be many more questions as i go on with this little adventure. I really hope there are people willing to help me out!
    Thank youu! :)

2. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Re: Hi, I'm new :) whos up for a game of "what breed are the

Hello! I'm no expert, but they look like toggenburgs to me??? I was thinking nigerian dwarf, but they look too big if only 8 weeks old. The boys at 8 weeks are not too young to be castrated now, and they can breed girls as early as 8 weeks old.
    They need at least a CD-T vaccine, and then a booster of the same thing given in 3 weeks after the first. It's not expensive at all for a bottle of the vaccine (2 cc each). You can give it yourself or the vet can. I'd also worm them if they haven't been already, but would probably wait at least three days after the vaccination to do that just to avoid a reaction and not hit them with too much at once.
    Don't know how much of the minerals, maybe somebody else can answer that. Our is in a powder form that we leave out for them so they can have some whenever they want.
    You sound really excited! Good luck with your new babies. :thumb:

3. amarillodream

amarillodream New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Pennsylvania!

Yeah, Im reeeally excited! but im a little nervous, i want them to be safe, healthy, and happy!

4. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Welcome to TGS!

I'd say that Luigi is an Alpine. Mario might be too, or a cross of.

Worming them is a definite YES. I would you Ivermectin horse paste 1.87%. Dose again in 14 days.

Perfect 7 recommended CD/T. I agree. I don't give shots as I don't have to, so Im a little fuzzy on the shots.

They need a goat mineral. They are dairy goats, so I might recommend Sweetix for the dairy goats. I get Meat Maker from Sweetix, even though I mostly have Nigerian Dwarves, which are dairy. But I also have pygmies and 3 boers.

I would get them boys wethered as soon as they are feeling better!

Glad you rescued them!!! :D

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I can't help you on the breeds - I am new to goats as well, but I wanted to say congrats on getting your farm and goats! We hope to get a small horse farm one day, my husband wants to have a few broodmares. I just want horses to ride, and be around them :)

The little ones are very adorable, and it's heartbreaking they were abused! It makes me so mad when people abuse their animals.
    They sound great, look cute, and it sounds like they will have a wonderful new home!

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Welcome!!
    Those 2 little cuties look like Alpines to me...could very well be a cross of Togg/Alpine.
    Tractor Supply started to carry Manna Pro Goat minerals here, before that I had used their brand of pasture mineral...Producers Pride.
    The protein tub would be ok...but these are babies and that tub will likely spoil before they even started on it.
    P7 is right, TSC also carries the vaccination that most give their goats...CD/T by Bar-Vac, they also have the needles and syringes. 2cc sub q then another 2 cc 21 days later....as far as castration goes, these boys are more than old enough to lose them.
    Have a vet run a fecal on all of them once they are with you, then worm according to the results...and yes, you can keep the 4 of them together...just be watchful that the 2 big boys don't get too agressive with the smaller 2.
    Mineral blocks are better than nothing, but goats do much better with the loose minerals as they don't need to work so hard to get what they need.

7. amarillodream

amarillodream New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Pennsylvania!

I was thinking Alpine too!
    Is any horse worming paste safe?
    My mom can give shots :)
    are mineral blocks good enough? or are there more...
    Do we need to keep the 2 pygmy kids (8 weeks) (girl and wether) seperate from the 2 rescues (young, not casterated) untill they get casterated?

8. amarillodream

amarillodream New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Pennsylvania!

I do think i saw Manno Pro goat minerals at TSC. So is that all of the minerals they need?
    At the humane league, theres a vet. So i have to find out if they've been vaccinated there or not yet, and they are getting castrated in a month (when they gain more weight) and i will find out what their worming situation is.

9. amarillodream

amarillodream New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Pennsylvania!

Oh! also. another question.
    Collars? Do you lead goats around like you lead dogs around?

Thanks for the help everyone, its great. :)

I'm happy aslong as they are happy, healthy, and safe.

aslong as the two boys that are not castrated yet cant breed with the young pygmy... haha

how worried do i need to be about poisonous plants?

does Manno pro mineral supplement supply all of the needed minerals for the goats?

10. Re: Hi, I'm new :) whos up for a game of "what breed are the

I am in on the Alpine or Alpine cross.

As for putting them together you may want to be sure they are all healthy then put them together.

As for shots you can do it yourself. CDT is needed and it is 2 cc followed by 2 more in 3 weeks. If you get 1% ivermectin you do 1 cc per 50 lds. You can give this orally and it is better on a fasting tummy but not a must. See if they have been wormed already by previous owners and if first CDT has been given. Chances are that the rescues have had these if they were in bad health and looking so good now so ask and the breeder may have also done this for you. Also alwas check the eyes. Do not over worm if good eye color is there worming is not needed once you have done it. Too much worming can make your worms more resistant later on. Just keep that in mind.

Minerals are a must. You need something for goats with iron in it. Blocks can be put ou as well. We have our feed mixed so we put our minerals (Goat min) in the feed and have Vit A,D,E added as well to it as well. We also use the blocks and have tubs out but we are a little much here but the kids (the goats) are never without. Our tubs are smartlick.

Other then that, welcome to the group and welcome to goats!!!!

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

You'd have to train them to walk on a leash - haven't done this but plan on it with any kids our does have in the future when we start weaning.
    The last two does we bought are used to wearing collars when being worked with. The farm they came from most all the does were dehorned. One of these does has half a horn that tried to grow back, and the youngest doe has her horns.
    I've worked with them with a collar and no issues. I've even put a collar on my rescue doe in the past, and she handled it great.
    I want to learn about training them to walk on a leash, and it sounds like yours are about the right age!

12. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT

Welcome! Sounds like a fun little herd you have there! If they are full size (alpine, etc) you COULD train them to pack... if you like hiking :)

I raise Nigis, and mine are all collared and trained to walk with me. This is more for an emergency preparedness- like if there was a fire or something, they come when called and I could just hook them all up to their leashes and get out of dodge.

Some people don't leave collars on for fear of the goat getting the collar caught and strangling themselves- but mine have the collars from a young age and don't know any different. I haven't had problems yet.

Good luck!

13. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009

You can get plastic link collars that will break if they get caught on something. But they are pretty strong, strong enough to use with a leash. All my goats except the kids have them on all the time. I have had a few break. I leave them pretty loose too, so they might be able to pull out of them, especially young ones. It's a lot easier for me to take them to and from the milking stand when they will walk on a leash. But if not a leash you at least need a collar to hold on to. If you aren't going to milk, and they are going to be out where they could get caught on a lot of things, you might want to leave collars off of them. But they are a ton easier to catch if they have collars on. You can see there are multiple sides to this.

I wouldn't put those boys in with a doe kid until they are neutered if they were mine. They all get fertile pretty young, and it would be a disaster for that little doe if she got bred by a buck kid who will be so much bigger when she is so young. (Aborting them is possible, if something like that happens, and I would think would be necessary if this happened to her.)

Good luck with your goats! I expect you will have them fixed right up! (You might not want to wait a month to neuter them)

Jan

14. amarillodream

amarillodream New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Pennsylvania!

Well! The two rescued boys are home! they warmed up to the new place immediatly and seem to be loving it. They're so skinny ): it makes me sad. We put out feed for them and they were both in it like they havent eaten in days. haha. then they worked on the plants everywhere in their paddock. :dance:

We have one problem. The two original gates to the area that the goats are arent goat proof. Mario can get out of it, and I'm not sure if Luigi can since hes bigger. I thought i could use chicken wire, but since the gates are metal, theres nothing to attach it to.. i guess i can use wire and tie it?

I'll have pictures of them soon, and a pic of their pen area. So you guys can let me know what you thing :p

QUESTION!: Haying.. we have good quality grass hay for the horses. Should i feed that to the boys along with the Purina Goat chow? Theyre also getting abuncha greens out in the paddock.

My boyfreind is into livestock and knows alot about goats. He says that it would be pretty harsh getting the horns that these boys. He says it looks like someone already attempted to de bud them because of they way they look. They are about an inch or two long, but they are thick. I really dont want them to have horns :sigh:

Thanks again guys! :D

15. amarillodream

amarillodream New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Pennsylvania!

Pictures! :greengrin: :greengrin: [​IMG] Mario!

[​IMG] Luigi!

[​IMG]Kissses :love:

[​IMG] Luigi, i thought this showed his skin and bonyness pretty well. poor boy ):

[​IMG] How's their pen look?

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Glad to see they are liking their new home!
    Yes, they do need hay even if they have pasture...and the mixed grass is ok for them.
    De horning at this stage is a very traumatic thing...and in their condition the stress would not be good for them....wait til they are healthier and the horns can be banded to slough off in the winter, doing it now is not good with the flies and heat.
    Pasture looks good, as far as toxic plants go, any kind of pitted fruit trees are not good, especially cherry as the leaves when wilted have a high concentration of cyanide..pokeweed is also something they should not have too much of, it is listed as toxic but my goats have eaten it with no ill effects.

I was wondering about Mario's right rear hoof, I noticed that it appeared to be mis shaped, both need a hoof trim too. Have fun getting to know them as well as getting them healthy, they'll need that hay, water and grain to pack on some much needed pounds. Very cute lil' boys!

17. amarillodream

amarillodream New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Pennsylvania!

Alright cool, they got their hay tonight. :thumb:
    what about mulberry trees?
    The last think i want to do is put them through pain and stress :tears: I will take your advice and find out more on the horn banding when the time comes.
    And yeah, mario's feet are in pretty bad condition. My boyfreind is going to come over and trim on Monday, and teach me to do it.

18. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Welcome to goats! They sure are cute, but don't overfeed them. That could bring on a whole new set of problems. (bloat etc..) You can add BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) to the feed mix. (just no a lot) It will make them nice and shiny. :p

Watch out for mare feed. A friend raises Arab's and she ran out of goat feed. She used the feed she had for her broodmares. Killed all the goats. The manufacture said it had too much protein in it.

What kind of horses do you have?

Gina

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Awww heartbreaking how thin they are, but looks like they have a wonderful new home, and sounds like you have all the TLC they are going to need to get healthy!
    They sure are adorable! And they have a very nice pen! Congrats! And that is great that your boyfriend knows about goats and can help show you how to do their feet. That's something we have to do this weekend too...oh fun! :)

20. amarillodream

amarillodream New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Pennsylvania!

yeah, im watching out for bloat. i read about it and am worried because it sounds scary. and horses get the same thing, kind of. Its called colic. and we used to have an older horse who would get gas colic and the treatment sounds kind of the same. Keeping them moving, and all that. We dont give them tons of feed. And they dont seem intrested in hay, they werent being fed any at the Humane League and i doubt they got it at their original home. They sure do LOVE the Manno Pro Goat treat though. i could get them to do back flips just to get a nibble of that stuff! (just kidding, no backflips.)

haha, alright. are those seeds found in the birdfood isle? or whattt?
    My mom has two warmbloods and we have a draft cross, a POA, an off the track thoroughbred, and a TB/QH :)

And yeah, we trimmed their feet today. They didnt like it. and i wouldnt be surprised if it was the first time they've had it done. My boyfreind says they have foot rot. and Mario's are so miss shaped. There was some blood. i felt bad. :tears:

but they sure are easily attachable. I love them to deatth. :wink: