Hi! New from Michigan

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pontiusmsu, Mar 21, 2011.

1. pontiusmsu

pontiusmsu Junior Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Hello All. Well I've used the blog for my first crisis and got great encoragement and advise so I guess I should introduce myself. For the past 20+ years I have been involved with horses, mostly Paints and buckskin QH's. I have 3 children, my 2 girls (18 & 13) have proven to be more interested in the farm and animals than my son (22), the computer/tech whiz. I have been married for 25 years and although he's not the critter lover I am my husband is pretty good around the farm. Last March 4th I was thrown feet first into the goat world and now I'm hooked heart and soul. My neighbor raises Boer's and she had a kid that the doe dropped and left for dead. Of course baby needed 24/7 care and I'm a stay at home mom so I volunteered to help out. Well after 3 days I was totally hooked and told her she couldn't have the little black and white doe back so I made arrangements to buy her and another young doe and the obsession began. I can't believe how wonderful its been. Another of her does had quads this February and I have another little bottle baby so our little herd is up to 3 girls. We're still learning and I want to try milking so all information is greatly appreciated.

2. tomie

tomie New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello,
    My name is Tomie. I have only been in goats about a year. I love them. I live in southern Ohio. My husband and I have six kids. We have five boys and one girl. I am a stay at home mom also so I get the pleasure of doing most of the work with my goats. This form is amazing and everyone is so nice. I joined just a few weeks ago. Everyone here is so helpful. I hope that you enjoy it.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hi...and welcome ...glad you are here.... :thumb: :wave:

What a good thing... to do.... in taking time out.. to save that baby... I commend you for that.... :hi5: :hug:

4. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Hello from a fellow michigander.......Lots of good info here!

If you don't mind my asking what part of Michigan are you from....NE Michigan here.

5. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Hello from Northern Minnesota- we actually moved here 3 years ago form Michigan. My heart is still there and so is most of our family. Welcome!

6. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Welcome from Washington State... I just got my 2 does about 6 months ago... we kidded a buckling about 1 1/2 months ago and he is sold.. so when he's gone, I've got 2 more does joining our little herd... So be warned - It's contagious! I've just started milking too.. I love it and the milk is great!
    Have fun!

7. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Hello from The UP of Michigan :wave: Welcome to the forum.

8. pontiusmsu

pontiusmsu Junior Member

Mar 7, 2011
    We are near Lansing by the little village of Wacousta. I tease my neighbor all the time and tell her it's her fault that I am now a goat addict. :cool: I tell all my friends if they get that empty nest feeling that they need a goat. I'm partial to floppy ears and am looking at a nubian cross doe for milking. I'd like to try my hand at cheese too. Any suggestions on good how to books? I've ordered a couple on goat raising and milking that I'm looking forward to reading. :stars:

9. :wave: Hi from northwest, southwest or west of you, depending on where in Michigan you live. I live in Southwestern Ontario and have had my little Pygmies for just over a year now. My Mom and Dad raised goats when I was growing up and then again after I left home. I'm hooked on my critters!

A warm welcome to the forum.