The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just recently acquired several goats from Colorado. The owner delivered them to me. They are various ages from 6 months to 2 years old. I got them delivered the end of August. Within a week or two I had 5 die and then later in October I had one of the doelings die, she was acting sick so I took her to the vet and she was full of worms. She died that night. They were wormed on Aug 30th, I think the other ones that died did so because of temperature change. They came from Colorado to the hot Texas sun of 102 the day they arrived. I had lots of water out for them and shade but the temperature change could of put them in shock. Anyway they all seem to be doing well. I wormed them right away after the doeling died. How often do they need to be wormed? I have never had goats before so this is all new to me. Btw my goats are mini Nubians . Kathy in Texas

·
14,456 Posts
Welcome to The Goat Spot!
Sorry about your losses. Karen is right on about getting fecals done so you know exactly what parasites you are dealing with so you can treat with the right wormer.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to The Goat Spot! Sorry about your losses. Karen is right on about getting fecals done so you know exactly what parasites you are dealing with so you can treat with the right wormer.
How often does it need to be done? With as many goats as I have I can't do it on every one of them.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Hi Kathy from Texas...welcome!! from Cathy from Central Texas : )

What a hard beginning you had...I agree with fecal before wormer...also you can walk you herd and check eye lids...im a bit fanatic with doing it lol..here is alink to show you how...lids should be deep pink to red...anything pale may have worms and a good canadate todo a fecal on...if they are very pale, treatment will be needed
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UplYNmRDtXc

Also look at condition of the goat...if you see one who is unthrifty, fur is course, a lethargic goat, who sets off to himself, swollen under chin, off feed, hunched back...are all good indications something is wrong...always check temp and fecal or eye lids for anemia...: )
best wishes..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Kathy from Texas...welcome!! from Cathy from Central Texas : ) What a hard beginning you had...I agree with fecal before wormer...also you can walk you herd and check eye lids...im a bit fanatic with doing it lol..here is alink to show you how...lids should be deep pink to red...anything pale may have worms and a good canadate todo a fecal on...if they are very pale, treatment will be needed http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UplYNmRDtXc Also look at condition of the goat...if you see one who is unthrifty, fur is course, a lethargic goat, who sets off to himself, swollen under chin, off feed, hunched back...are all good indications something is wrong...always check temp and fecal or eye lids for anemia...: ) best wishes..
Thanks Cathy, I will definitely check it out! I love my goats! I have 1 6 month old that I am totally in love with, her name is cinnamon. She was getting picked on by the other adult goats I noticed that she had some crusty stuff on her back. Took her to the vet and she had no idea what it was so I had the privilege of pealing them off daily, then bathing her with some medicated shampoo daily. It's finally clearing up . Now I have a friend for life. I have another 6 month old with her so she is not alone. She is such a sweetie! She was really underweight when I brought her in but now she has definitely gained weight! I plan on going by the vets on Monday and weigh her. Anyway her back looks really good. I have no idea what it was! Do you? I need all the help I can get !

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Could be mites...you cant see the bug but they leave crusty spots, there are few different kind and each leave their own mess...you can google "mites on Goats" and hopelfully get some pix and see if they match what your girl has..any parasite can really bring them down..sounds like you are getting her well...
adding weight takes longer then loosing it lol...you can add Black Oil Sunflower seed (BOSS) , calf manna, and beet pulp her to grain...adding it in small amounts,slowly so she can get used to it...another thing I find that helps is mixing ground Flax seed and Wheat germ with a bit of coconut oil to make a paste...feed 1 tablespoon of this twice a day...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could be mites...you cant see the bug but they leave crusty spots, there are few different kind and each leave their own mess...you can google "mites on Goats" and hopelfully get some pix and see if they match what your girl has..any parasite can really bring them down..sounds like you are getting her well... adding weight takes longer then loosing it lol...you can add Black Oil Sunflower seed (BOSS) , calf manna, and beet pulp her to grain...adding it in small amounts,slowly so she can get used to it...another thing I find that helps is mixing ground Flax seed and Wheat germ with a bit of coconut oil to make a paste...feed 1 tablespoon of this twice a day...
the vet looked at it and said no bugs. But who knows. They are human and we all make mistakes. I do know that I have been working on her now for about 3 weeks or so. She did get a couple of pus pockets that I lanced. But everything appears to be healed and her hair ins growing back. (I shaved her) but only the areas that had the scabby stuff. I have her plus her sister for company on the patio and then at night in my utility room. I put down some washable pee pee pads in there and it makes the clean up a lot easier then all I have to do is was them after dumping their poo. Which I am saving for my garden, and will share some with my neighbor!my hubby was laughing at me the other day when I had cinnamon in the living room getting some scabs off and then I stood up and of course she started pooping. LOL I took her to the utility room and was planning on cleaning it up and when I got back the dogs had cleaned it up for me. LOL hubby said he was not gonna let the dogs kiss him for awhile!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the vet looked at it and said no bugs. But who knows. They are human and we all make mistakes. I do know that I have been working on her now for about 3 weeks or so. She did get a couple of pus pockets that I lanced. But everything appears to be healed and her hair ins growing back. (I shaved her) but only the areas that had the scabby stuff. I have her plus her sister for company on the patio and then at night in my utility room. I put down some washable pee pee pads in there and it makes the clean up a lot easier then all I have to do is was them after dumping their poo. Which I am saving for my garden, and will share some with my neighbor!my hubby was laughing at me the other day when I had cinnamon in the living room getting some scabs off and then I stood up and of course she started pooping. LOL I took her to the utility room and was planning on cleaning it up and when I got back the dogs had cleaned it up for me. LOL hubby said he was not gonna let the dogs kiss him for awhile!
I am thinking of taking Cinnamon in to the vet today. She has some new dry looking skin and when I use my nails to see if the flakes come off some of her hair came off also. I have no idea what is causing this. The old areas have healed up really well. But this looks different than that crusty stuff. But maybe it started out this way and turned into thar crusty stuff. None of the other goats have it and we have not gotten anything from her so who knows. Any ideas?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am thinking of taking Cinnamon in to the vet today. She has some new dry looking skin and when I use my nails to see if the flakes come off some of her hair came off also. I have no idea what is causing this. The old areas have healed up really well. But this looks different than that crusty stuff. But maybe it started out this way and turned into thar crusty stuff. None of the other goats have it and we have not gotten anything from her so who knows. Any ideas?
We'll I didn't take her in and I. Put some udder cream on the flakey areas and she is looking really good ! I just wish I knew what caused those big scabs!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts