Hi

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dee4, Nov 14, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

The forum is based in North America. I
    Hi Donna, yes, I was worried if I was doing it right too!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Very cute your little kid

3. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

So, after reading up and looking on YouTube, some say make sure you trim level, or they can go lame!!! but would it be ok, to keep doing little trims every couple of days to get them as I think they should be, or as I have done tidy up, trimming off flap bits and hoof wall a bit, will that now be ok? Iam planning to pick out hooves daily if possible, like you would with ponies ( had in the past).
    Not trimmed much heel yet, or touched dueclaws, any advice please ❤️

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Hooves - if trimmed correctly on a flat plane, do not need to picked out daily like horses or ponies. I like to check every couple of weeks. Some may need trimming monthly, others less frequently depending on terrain and feed.

5. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Hi, thanks, so you mentioned flat plane, is that a file thing, and do I still trim with clippers?
    Thank you

MadHouse likes this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Thank you. That is Destimy at 5 weels. Sje is allot bigger and stronger now

MadHouse likes this.
  7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

And a pygmy as well! With her stylish black boots on!

8. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

I had to

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  9. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Thank you. That is Destimy at 5 weels. Sje is allot bigger and stronger now[/QUOTE
    I had to wait until my kids were weaned and 5 months old, as they were kept at activity farm to attract people to visit, I had then just over 2 weeks now.
    Iam doing fine, wanted to do best I can for them, I only give hay, pasture and very very small amounts of Pygmy goat mix in morning with garlic , carrot etc and similar at tea time, Iam in UK and not found a goat farrier yet, but just starting to trim their hooves after looking on YouTube etc, harder to do as not sure yet if doing it correct, but will keep going, hope you are well and keep safe

10. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Here’s a picture to help guide you on hoof trimming. Hope it helps

Attached Files:

11. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Hi,
    Many thanks, I will print it off, so if I trim regularly, and they are on hard standing areas plus paddock, that will help keep them trimmed too I hope, it's practice , take care and stay safe, love from Donna in UK

12. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Hey there Donna,
    Just remember if you see pink STOP don’t trim deeper as you’re hitting the sensitive blood flow area. If by accident you do hit it just put iodine or wound kote on it. Practice makes perfect. If it helps, use a sharpie and draw a line parallel to the coronary band to show you how much toe and heel can come off carefully. You’ll do great just remember to take small amounts off at a time.
    Here’s a video to help

13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

If you stick around here and check the different forums you will gain so much knowledge. This is a true goat and animal loving family.

14. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Many thanks, Greatly appreciated, take care

15. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Thank you very much for the time you have taken, you take care x

16. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Will do and thanks again

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    Looks like you got some great advice already. Just wanted to add one more “Welcome!” and say that your little goats are super adorable! Sounds like you’re doing a great job with them so far. Glad you’re here - you’ll learn so much (I know I have), and it’s just a great community to be a part of!

Dee4, Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  19. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Welcome! Goats are great!
    One thing new goat people may not realize is that goats don't have a "shut off valve" when it comes to food. They can and will eat themselves to death with grain. They don't understand stopping! So, only feed them their own ration and don't leave extra grain out. Hay, free choice is ok. All the fresh water they can drink is essential, too.
    (this is something that I try and tell new goat owners- one person around here left an entire bag of grain out for their poor goat and went out of town. The poor goat died)...

20. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Thank you so much for all advice, one other area Iam unsure of, is Himalayan salt lick (pink) okay for wether and does, is that all they need. Also my does seems bit rounder than the wether, she does a few clumpy poops now, I noticed, they do break up easy though. Is that normal.
    Thanks from fretting new Mummy from UK