The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to worm 3 girls ready to kid by Nov. I think I used Ivermect with the last ones or Dectomax but I was ready some past post on the subject and saw where someone said to avoid ivermect. I know Valbazen is not a good one but which ones can I use?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. I have been using the plus so what is the dosage of the plain Ivermect? I think I also have the horse paste if that would work. I am going to TSC today for wormer for goats AND piglets. Getting ready to do a mass worming of all the farm animals, lol. I have a microscope coming for fecals from Amazon so we are gonna be looking and learning about worms in the next week or so. I have an 8 year old 2 legged kid that says he likes science so we are ready to learn. :)

·
I'm watching you
22,257 Posts
The horse paste is 3 times the horse dose. A 100lb goat gets the dose for a 300lb horse.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, great. I have quite a bit of horse paste because I bought it by the box last time and only 7 horses to do.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Ivomen plus is also safe for pregnant does..: ) the plus is a medication for Liver fluke called Clorsulon..it has been deemed safe for the pregnant .

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I use Fir Meadow's GI Soother combined with DWorm A. It's a very effective herbal dewormer. I combine with fresh garlic to give it an extra "punch". :)

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
I personally will not use Ivomec plus on preggo's, for one, it has not been cleared for use on pregnant animals and not recommended for pregnant animals under 100 days pregnant, as it can possibly abort. Flukicides can cause abortions.

I see it this way, anytime there is a little warning, not to use while pregnant at certain stages, I rather not experiment on my own goats to find out, at any stage. I only use safe wormers at that time. Just my opinion. ;)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
With herbal, they work to slow, if a goat has a heavy worm load already. It is wise to use a strong wormer, in those situations.

Herbal isn't always full proof. ;)
Actually, herbs can be quite strong, when dosed properly. I have seen bottle jaw and coccidia cured herbally. I haven't had bottle jaw here, but I treated a very bad and sudden case of cocci. 1 hour and the herbs had it cleared. It's all about where do you get the herbs (get them from a good source, I strongly recommend Fir Meadow since she has a master degree in herbology) and how do you dose them. Herbs go through the system fast. For the cocci case I gave triple his normal dose every 15 minutes. At the end of the hour he was acting wonderful, and back to normal pellets.

Herbs are very strong when used correctly, and worms do not grow resistant to them. They nourish the body as well. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts