The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a sample tested by the lab, and they came up with a high fecal egg count (1868 epg) on one of my bucks and one of the does, who have had on and off again runny poops. They have also been anemic, so have been giving Red Cell, along with SpectoGard and some shots of Vite B.

Should I go with Ivermectin, Moxidectin, or something else? Lab did not identify type of worm yet.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hmmm I'd call and see what type of worm... if possible. That's strange. Anyhow, I do ivermectin personally it's what our vet recommends. But it would be nice to know what type because some work better on different worms.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Both are pretty broad spectrum dewormers and should address most of our parasite issues. Just don't choose pour on for oral dosing. Get Ivomec injectable (1 cc per 40 pounds sub q for anemic goats,, 1 cc per 33 pounds orally for boosters and goats not anemic) or even a horse paste 3 x the horse dose, except Quest horse paste which is 1 cc per 100# )or Cydectin sheep drench. 4.5 cc per 25 # orally.

For anemia continue the red cell 6 cc per 100# daily for a week then weekly until color improves. Daily B 12 or b complex
30 cc of a 50/50 acv and water once daily speeds recovery
High protien feed, browse food, alfalfa all help rebuild red blood cells.
Fresh raw garlic daily to boost immunity
Daily probiotics (3-4 hours after deworming and once daily after that.)

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Either of those dewormers will address both those. Be sure to do boosters in 10 days and again in another 10 days then redo fecals in another 10 days after last booster.
You may choose to collect a clean fecal 10 days after the first deworming before first booster to fecal and see if dewormer is working.

Tummy Tamer is great to help support their system and dry their bums...
Tummy Tamer recipe
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Slippery elm
Cinnamon
Acv
Molasses
20-30 cc water
Blend all together smooth with 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic. Drench slowly 2-4 times a day.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,224 Posts
When I deal with Barber pole worms with brown stomach worms I use the horse paste Quest +. Then the next day I use safeguard. Both by weight, that is very important. I feed dyne with probios in a drenching gun. A Tbs of dyne and 1 scoop of probios, or Greek Yogurt, at least 1x a day. That will help supply nutrition, vitamins, and flora to keep that tummy calm and G.I. tract working. After 5 days I use Blue Ivomectin pour on, 3xs the weight, pour on shoulders to tail head. Then after 10 days I fecal again. I give the red cell dailey until the famacha has returned to a good color for your goat. Once I get the worm load down, I give the goat copper per its weight. This will help the goats resistance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I deal with Barber pole worms with brown stomach worms I use the horse paste Quest +. Then the next day I use safeguard. Both by weight, that is very important. I feed dyne with probios in a drenching gun. A Tbs of dyne and 1 scoop of probios, or Greek Yogurt, at least 1x a day. That will help supply nutrition, vitamins, and flora to keep that tummy calm and G.I. tract working. After 5 days I use Blue Ivomectin pour on, 3xs the weight, pour on shoulders to tail head. Then after 10 days I fecal again. I give the red cell dailey until the famacha has returned to a good color for your goat. Once I get the worm load down, I give the goat copper per its weight. This will help the goats resistance.
What is dyne?
I wormed them with Quest this evening.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:
The Nigerian buck needs more help. I wormed him with Quest, and then 3 straight days of Safeguard. He's acting a bit perkier, but still splatting poop, pale, and too thin (although he does love bread!), Still giving him Red Cell, Spectrogard, probiotics, and vite B.

Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Spector guard should only be given for 3 days I believe? Hard in the rumen.
Try Tummy Tamer 2 x a day until poop firms up. Continue with goat specific probuotics and make sure he stays hydrated. Scours can sure drain them.
Tummy Tammer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Cinnamon
Slippery elm
ACV
Molasses
20-30cc water
Blend smooth wwith1-2 fresh garlic cloves and drench at least 2 times a day. If this amount is too much, can cut in half and feed 4 times a day.
Hay,browse and alfalfa only until dry along with quality loose minerals. No bread 😉

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,224 Posts
To my understanding, spectroguard is 5 days.
If you would like to use NutriDrench, mix it with the probios in a drench gun 3xs a day. The instructions are on the bottle. It helps mine alot.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Update:
The Nigerian buck needs more help. I wormed him with Quest, and then 3 straight days of Safeguard. He's acting a bit perkier, but still splatting poop, pale, and too thin (although he does love bread!), Still giving him Red Cell, Spectrogard, probiotics, and vite B.

Any other suggestions?
What is his temperature?

If he is scouring, don't give him bread or grain. I know he loves it, but that can make it worse. Only give him hay, hay pellets, forage/tree branches until he is better.

Spectogard dosage is 6 ml per day for 3 days. You can split the 6 ml into 3 ml twice a day. Since spectogard is an antibiotic, don't give probiotics at the same time. Space them out a few hours from each other. Is that what you did?

B complex and probiotics should be given daily. Keep giving red cell daily too since his FAMACHA is pale.

Does he have electrolytes available to drink?

Reactions: K.B.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts