The Goat Spot Forum banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
some positive thoughts our way would be greatly appreciated!! Two does left to kid, one was due Tuesday 2/9 and the other is due Sunday 2/14 and these temps have me nervous!! Luckily I am home all weekend, I'll keep everyone posted! I can't wait to be in double digit temps again!
64D140DE-E322-4AC3-8F0C-2490AC079CA7.jpeg

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, this is ours. Granted, we are used to cold, just not this cold for 10 days in a row. And I don't have goats to kid. My friend has been lambing though, and so far all the lambs have made it.
upload_2021-2-11_20-56-28.png

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, this is ours. Granted, we are used to cold, just not this cold for 10 days in a row. And I don't have goats to kid. My friend has been lambing though, and so far all the lambs have made it.
View attachment 197691
Geez girl now that's too dagnamit cold for man or beast! You stay safe and warm!

·
14,725 Posts
Aww the babies are adorable! I am so sorry about the weather, I hope and pray things get better soon. I remember kidding during brutal cold years ago, before we started using warming barrels. Our normal winter temps are usually in the 30s at the least with some 20s thrown in. But it had gotten down to something like -9 with a windchill of -35, I'll never forget that because a first timer decided to kid at 2:30am. My daughter and I were layered up, had 2 heat lamps, towels, hair dryer, a plastic tote with bedding to put kids in and use hair dryer, paper towels to help try to get ears dry (someone told me paper towels help better than cloth towels). When her water broke it froze to her legs and she thought the towel was her baby and demanded we give her the towel (lol). All said and done she kidded with no issues, and got kids warm. I made a box out of scrap wood with a heat lamp to help keep them warm then learned about warming barrels and have used them ever since then. I'm honestly glad we are not kidding in these temps but worry about our 6 week old kids staying warm, and the effects on the girls due next month. Dec/early Jan and March are probably my favorite times for kidding. Feb is just so iffy.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Awwe! Those kids are adorable!

Holy cow, that is cold! Temps were supposed to be in the mid 20s here for lows but it updates last night. Now we are in the single digits for lows. Definitely not that cold though. Ugh, I just hate that absolutely miserable kind of cold. Hopefully the 2 girls left get going so it can be done and over with. Stay warm and stay safe out there!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Aww the babies are adorable! I am so sorry about the weather, I hope and pray things get better soon. I remember kidding during brutal cold years ago, before we started using warming barrels. Our normal winter temps are usually in the 30s at the least with some 20s thrown in. But it had gotten down to something like -9 with a windchill of -35, I'll never forget that because a first timer decided to kid at 2:30am. My daughter and I were layered up, had 2 heat lamps, towels, hair dryer, a plastic tote with bedding to put kids in and use hair dryer, paper towels to help try to get ears dry (someone told me paper towels help better than cloth towels). When her water broke it froze to her legs and she thought the towel was her baby and demanded we give her the towel (lol). All said and done she kidded with no issues, and got kids warm. I made a box out of scrap wood with a heat lamp to help keep them warm then learned about warming barrels and have used them ever since then. I'm honestly glad we are not kidding in these temps but worry about our 6 week old kids staying warm, and the effects on the girls due next month. Dec/early Jan and March are probably my favorite times for kidding. Feb is just so iffy.
omg that sounds horrible!!! Yes after this year my husband and I decided we are going to change up our kidding program a little bit. I would like to try and kid like oct- maybe 1st of dec and then and second round mid March-May? Not exactly sure yet but honestly I'm tried of the cold. I have barn cams but I still have to go out in the cold and honestly I'm over it lol.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Did Opal decided she didn't want to care for her twin girls or were they just not able to stay warm enough? That smaller one sure is small! So sweet! How much does she weigh?

Best wishes for the last two!
Ugh so Opal has horrible, very large teats that drag on the ground. The bigger baby wasn't able latch. I was able to milk opal to get some milk to baby but that was a struggle. An hour of milking I was only able to get 4oz out. With it being so cold I decided it wasn't worth trying, and possibly losing the baby. Not sure it was the best choir not but opal is doing fine and the babies are doing great.

Starla the big sis was 8.5 pounds at birth and little sis (still haven't picked a name) was 3 pounds 12 ounces.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I am extremely thankful for my husband putting up with my crazy ideas. These girls are literally due any minute, like I believe Beauty is in early labor. I just didn't feel like the barn was warm enough for new babies. I'm not sure what the temp in in the barn but the temp outside is -11 but the windchill is -32. I didn't want to risk loosing babies and I got the idea to move these girls into the garage. It's insulated and just warmer than the barn. So my husband ran over to his parents picked up some panels and straw and helped me get them into the garage.
I know it's not the biggest pen and probably not ideal but in these temps it's what's best for these babies coming soon.

931214FD-24A1-4D99-A0BA-7527B9105CD0.jpeg

121 - 140 of 160 Posts