The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My preggie girls happily enjoying their new inline fence feeder and I thought it would be a good time to start our waiting thread! Girls are listed left to right.

Tootsie roll Nubian FF. She is bred to a registered black dapple buck and is due February 2nd.

Ruby boer doe also a first timer. She is bred to a registered traditional buck and is also due February 2nd.

Lolly and Polly are next they are boer does. I bought these does recently and they are bred to a registered red dapple buck. Unknown due dates but can go December 14-January 4th according to previous owner.

Last is Blue. She is a blue eyed boer bred to a registered traditional boer buck. She is a first timer and last to kid on March 13th.

Impatiently waiting for babies! Fingers crossed for healthy kids! This is the first year we will have more than one baby and I'm kind of anxious!
19D8AD51-6BDD-4956-9EBC-B8236E9D2535.jpeg

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Awww such cute little baby bumps you have going on! Do you have pictures of daddies to be?
Your feeder is this the first year you are using it? Also how would you care to share how tall the tray is and what the gap is for them to put their heads threw? I’ve been wanting to build a feeder with that general idea but I can’t figure out if i am going to be able to keep kids out of it also so the gap is big enough for everyone but small enough for kids not to find a nice playground to put their nasty little feet lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the daddies!
F6B21DC0-B993-411B-9A12-312C9B1BFFFF.jpeg

B0677492-B2D6-43A8-BD8F-7F032FBA9038.jpeg
AC2AB96D-CB01-4E5A-A6C4-7DF69E895DBB.jpeg

This is our first year using the feeder and so far so good! I feel like they waste so much less! Ours is made out of an old grain elevator it's probably 18 inches tall to the top of the tray and the the tray part is about 6-8 inches deep. The space for their head is 11 inches. We have a hog panel on the front and on the back. The back also has tin the the hay stays in. A few of my smaller does can get in. If my goats didn't have horns I would make it way smaller. But so far it works, and the one that's get in it don't dirty it up too much.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You should have some very pretty babies coming!
Thank you so much! I figured they would waste a lot less that way. They can dig threw it all they want but they have no excuse but to eat it because it never gets mucky. I was debating on doing the key hole feeders but I could see some broken necks so this way makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had the same thought about the key hole feeders. My husband was ready to make them but they made me too nervous so we went with these. I do like that I can walk in these so if they do get gross I can clean them out easily.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little update! Polly gave birth to twins a week ago but I believe they were too early, they lived for about 6 hours and had trouble breathing. They were only 3 pounds each. So now I'm waiting on Lolly she is a doe I bought so I don't know much about her. this is her second kidding. According to the previous owner she has to deliver by 1/4/20. Her udder has changed a lot lately but it's still not super impressive.
5C45EB01-5594-40D6-A8D2-43D3E3ECBCDA.jpeg
0262244D-44AE-49D3-9897-9BECD0A6D9A1.jpeg

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Oh no :( I’m sorry such a bad start to your kidding.
My girls have thrown me for a serious loop this year, a few of which really didn’t have a impressive udder and I was starting to think were due much later, but they blew up nicely the day they had their kids, so don’t let Lolly fool you! I can’t wait to see your cute babies in a week-ish ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
A little update! Polly gave birth to twins a week ago but I believe they were too early, they lived for about 6 hours and had trouble breathing. They were only 3 pounds each. So now I'm waiting on Lolly she is a doe I bought so I don't know much about her. this is her second kidding. According to the previous owner she has to deliver by 1/4/20. Her udder has changed a lot lately but it's still not super impressive. View attachment 167721 View attachment 167723
Oh that breaks my heart...sooo sorry. Did you buy any kind of baby monitor for your barn? Both my does are due in February. This is my first time and I am nervous! Some suggest I get a monitor so I don't have to live in the barn...if you have one..what kind? I have Elian my barn so I think I can get a cheaper one...hopefully.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh that breaks my heart...sooo sorry. Did you buy any kind of baby monitor for your barn? Both my does are due in February. This is my first time and I am nervous! Some suggest I get a monitor so I don't have to live in the barn...if you have one..what kind? I have Elian my barn so I think I can get a cheaper one...hopefully.
Yes I have an Arlo brand camera system and I love it! I see you commented on another post I'm in, so yes this runs off WiFi but it has a base station that makes that WiFi go further. My phone doesn't work in the barn but my camera does. I love it! This is the first year that we have more than one doe kidding and I'm anxious! We haven't started out well but I'm hoping only good news from here on out! One more week till Lolly has to have her babies, I hate only having a timeline for when she can deliver. All my others I know their due dates.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here I am still waiting on Lolly to have babies!! Ligs are still firm they haven't changes udder is still the same as well. She did have a little discharge this morning when I let them out of the barn. She has been hanging by herself more. The wait is soooo hard! I talked to the previous owner and he said he saw her breed the 6th of August so it's looking like Friday would be her due date. I have to work all day tomorrow so I'm going to leave her shut in just in case.

On the other hand I did pick up these two beautiful babies today! I thought it was that the mother didn't have milk but she had 3 babies and didn't want these two. We try to get cheap bottle babies every year for my young kids to show in the bottle kid class. Plus we have been wanting some black in our herd.

Happy new year everyone!
C8CFDAB3-DB7A-41B0-8F2D-5582710F1849.jpeg

1 - 20 of 132 Posts