Hind Legs paralyzed in 3-4 month nanny goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jmarcan, Jun 4, 2009.

1. jmarcan

jmarcan New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I need help. I am new to goat raising. 3 weeks ago I bought a sweet, cute kid goat that appeared healthy. Last week over a two day period her hind legs became useless. I have read that this may be a vitamin B defficiancy or a copper deficiancy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    It might help if you tell us what you feed your goat. Hay, grain, minerals(loose or block)? What kind of vaccines has she had? When was her last shot of BoSe?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    It says 3-4 months in the title

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    do you know if ...the wee one ....had a CD&T shot and the booster?

6. jmarcan

jmarcan New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Hey guys,
    I am feeding her hay, the recommended amount of southern states sweet feed, hay, block minerals and water and as a treat honey suckles. She is probably closer to for months old. She has had her CDT shot and I in my newness I don't know what BoSo is, help with that. Thank you guys for responding and trying to help me figure out this mystery........Joy

7. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :doh: :help: sorry

I agree with MissMM..............it could very well be white muscle disease......I purchase bo-se at my vets office...they can tell you the proper dosage for sure.....I would give that as soon as possible with vit/E ..........they need that .........to be able to absorb the selenium........... :hug:

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    and switch to a loose mineral not a block. They cant get enough off of a block. And yes get her a Bo/Se shot.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Jason.....the loose salt and minerals .....is alot better than the block ....they can lick at the block all day ....and may not get ..what they need from the block .....I buy... the loose salts and minerals for cattle ....it has the copper in it... :wink: :greengrin:

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    They can actually burn their tounges on the block due the ammount of salt in them.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Other than a deficiency, are there any other goats around that could have hurt her? Or any other animal that may have caused injury to her back?

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I just want to say the loose mineral vs block issue needs to be addressed on a herd to herd basis

I hear a lot of people saying that blocks are bad, you should only use loose mineral

But my goats wont touch loose minerals, but enjoy the blocks

I have heard other people say the same thing

So do whatever works for your herd, and dont go changing just because someone else says it works better for them.

Regarding the original question, from the Merck Vet Manual (my emphasis:

Also, if she does die (I hope not but the worst happens) WMD can be confirmed on post mortem, by cutting into the back leg from near the udder, through the hip joint, the exposed muscle here will be 'white' instead of a dark cherry red, if WMD is the cause of death. If so, it would be a good idea to supplement all goats with selenium.

Good luck with your little girl :thumb:

14. jmarcan

jmarcan New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Thank you guys for your replys.....I talked to my vet yesterday and he seemed to think that it is white muscle disease also. He told me that he had given her a mineral injection, which turns out to be the BoSe injection plus antibiotic, when we visited a week ago and it should have worked in two to three days. He suggested that we try one more. So we are going to do that. It is so hard to just give up on her. She has so much spunk in her personality. I do have two other kid goats but I do not believe she has a traumatic injury because of the gradual onset and she is still able to wag her tail. I have read that there may be other diseases to mimic white tail disease. Does anyone know what that may be? My gut feeling tells me the prognosis for her may not be good. Will keep everyone informed. Thanks again for your help...............Joy

15. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    My mind is clicking with other options.... does she have a fever? Any signs of respiratory distress?

Did your new goat come from a CAE free herd? When the vet came, did he/she take a sample to test for CAE? The stiff hind leg thing is a symptom of CAE. Before subjecting the little one to much more than Bo-Se & antibiotics, I would think the vet would want to know for sure lest the "treatments" counter-act each other.

I wouldn't think it could be enterotoxemia cause she doesn't have enough of the symptoms.

Sorry.... not much help, but please keep us posted.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    CAE could be a possibility, but the little one is to early to test on, accurately. But you know - a $4.00 test through Biotracking.com to check might not be a bad idea. If you can draw the blood today and priority ship to them first thing in the morning - you could have those results by Friday.

Bose injectable is a great thing to try for the White Muscle Disease. BoSe has the vitamin E already in it to help the body absorb the selenium.

Minerals and baking soda are great to keep out for the goaties at all times. I personally use Purina loose goat minerals - but I do keep a block out also - but they always are at the loose minerals first and the block when they are bored.

Is there a way that maybe the little one pinched a nerve. Can you massage down the leg and are they warm or cold? Is there any swelling of the joints? If you squeeze between the hoof on that skin does the kid try to pull the leg back showing that it has feeling in the extremeties? what is the kiddos temp?

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    she shouldnt have CAE this early

my little one went lame in the back end then the front end first, turns out it was pneumonia. so I guess thats another option

18. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I've read that copper def. causes weak, paralyzed back legs... now if only I could find that article!

19. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
  20. jmarcan

jmarcan New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Hey All,
    I gave her a BoSe injection today. It is funny, being a nurse I have no problems with injectioning people. I never dreamed I would end up as a vet tech. I am still a little uncomfortable giving them injection. I am afraid I am going to hit a nerve. I had to give my other two 7 days worth of injectable Penicillin after having them dehorned. She is showing no signs of fever or respiratory distress. Her temperature is normal. I got her from a stock sale and unfortunately do not know anything about the heard that she came from. Don't think I will be doing that again. Thanks again for everyone's help. Will keep everyone posted on her condition.