The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe has had cloudy discharge for a week and I heard her grind her teeth. She was supported to be bred on the 4th but she came back into heat on the 25th. I saw them do the deed 5 times on the 4th and 3 times in the 25th. When I talked to my ag teacher about it (she is a dairy cow farmer) she said that it's a sign of an infection in the uterus and that she likely won't settle unless it's treated she also said to treat it with penicillin. she noted that it's very common in cows. Any-who how much penicillin should I give her? She is a 5yr old nigerian dwarf and I'm not sure how much she weighs. I attached a pic o the discharge note that there is hay in it.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
You are talking about the reproductive health of this goat, and possibly her life. I would not be blindly treating a possible uterine infection, I would be taking her to the vet.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup my mom wasn't to happy about spending ten dollars on the penicillin and then finding out we needed something different... But I just want my doe to be healthy (and have lots and lots of baby's!) :insert evil laugh here: I don't mind paying my mom back:) I hope my doe gets better though! Would it be bad for her if I skipped two injections of ampacillin? We are leaving for thanksgiving and my neighbor Is watching my animals for me and she is older and can't give shots...

·
Super Moderator
59,953 Posts
Yes, it would be bad. It is critical to keep the level of antibiotic up the entire time she is on it. My vet always had me start the whole antibiotic round over if a day was missed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts