Hmm.. is this what they all think

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Dec 15, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I know that right now I consider myself a hobby farmer and just getting my herd established and set up. Also that most dairy goat owners are hobby owners, but for some reason a comment that was made on a Boer goat forum kinda upset me. Dairy goat breeders were here long before the Boers and were a established industry already I thought. I don't know maybe I just took the comment the wrong way, as I see several dairy breeders that have established yourselves and I would consider selling cheeses, milk, soaps and other goat milk products as a industry.

Here is the comment that was made: "The majority of dairy goat & Nigerian members are hobby farmers. There are a lot more boer goat breeders that treat this as an industry and make a living selling goats for meat."

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt get to upset over the comment -- each individual is going to have their own opinions and if you feel strongly about your dairy goats being more then a hobby farm....go and prove the individual wrong ;) :thumbup:

I dont know the individual but I would guess that it wasnt meant to be an insult as much as her observation on the breeds and how they were utilized from her experience. If she is right or wrong i dont know but that doesnt mean she was trying to put down dairy breeders.

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Stacey, I did not take it so much as a insult as much as that it seemed that dairy goats are not looked on as a industry and that is what upset me. I do have to admit that this was sent to me and I did not get to see the whole exchange so it could have been taken out of context.

Still makes me wonder...

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    This is only 1 opinion right? I wouldn't even worry about it..... as this person may see it differently.... than a big majority of the breeders ....no worries.... 1 person doesn't make the world go round.... :wink: :hug:

5. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

HAHAHAHAHA I laugh at people when they say things like that.

There was this guy in my FFA group....He raises BIG dairy goats, all the bigger breeds. And his opinion of Nigis

"Those are useless things, I wouldnt even consider them a goat, let alone a dairy goat. My goats udders are bigger than a nigis whole body"

I have always wanted to like punch him lol...But I just laugh and walk away...People will always have opinions, most goat breeders dont know what nigis are here, so I have to live with crazy opinions every day :)

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Hahaha, thanks guys. As far as I know I have not heard another Boer person make this comment. I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way today. Laura this is what happened to me yesterday, had someone come look and when they saw my goats they were like "Oh, I thought you had real goats!" They sure eat like real goats was all I could think at the time.

7. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHH I seriously hate when people say that.....Its just stupid! We are nice enough not to say thing about there MINI horses LOL. Thats what my mom calls boer goats!

It always rubs me, when I hear things like that, but I guess we ARE the bigger goat people, who cares what they say right? They mean nothing, our goats are amazing, and no opinion will EVER change that.

Plus it totally makes them mad when you just smile and walk away haha

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I think people consider meat animals more of an industry or more "serious" than milk animals. You'll see that in cattle people too. In highschool, I knew several adults who raised Angus for meat and thought milk cows were just silly and pointless, even dairy farms. Which is stupid.

The thing is that I believe most dairy goat farms are small time farms, while meat goat operations tend to be larger (most likely because it is easier to make money, and more money can be made.)

9. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    True, but with the bigger farms you also have more money going out, besides our dairy goats are so much more versatile. We can have milk, cheese, butter, cream, soap, even meat from out goats.

LOL try living in Texas with the cattle rancher mentality. Actuall I was a cattle rancher first, we raised Registered Longhorns and showed them as well. Texas has always been a meat state, I know of some dairys further north but they are just nothing compared to our meat market.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... No Problem.... I think all of us has been there... :hi5: :wink: :thumb:

11. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I agree that dairy is much more versatile AND healthier for you than eating a ton of meat. But Americans love their meat, and they see meat as more expensive and more important and etc, etc. And what American wants to eat stuff that is good for you anyways? We wanna eat lots of meat and get fat and have heart attacks! Lol.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I have an opinion... you all wouldn't like it!
    ""Those are useless things, I wouldnt even consider them a goat, let alone a dairy goat. My goats udders are bigger than a nigis whole body""

When I hear the term "High production dairy goat"... I do not consider ND's high producing at all. IMO the ND industry is mostly showing and bloodlines.

"dairy is much more versatile AND healthier for you than eating a ton of meat."
    that's Beef though, goat meat is very nutritious and very lean.

13. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada

hehehehe I do see the miniature goats as a hobby farm. Unless someone can show me that you can have such and such amount of minis (when comparing to the big goats) on such amount of hay and it comes out with more milk per lb of food. I have never seen something like this and until I do then it only makes sense (to me) to have the mini as cute little family milkers.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    exactly. i dont see any grade A dairies only breeding nigerians.
    it's not practical

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the nigerians are higher in butterfat so a friend of mine has plans to start a creamery with all nigerians. I believe it can be done just because something isnt dont often or even ever before doesnt mean its not possible. Nigerians are such a developing breed and are only recently become popular. We will be seeing more of their potential in the coming years

The point mistyblue was trying to make has gone off track a bit though.

Dairy vs Meat -- no one can make a blanket statement about either's popularity and usefulness and have it true across the board.

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Dairy vs Meat -- no one can make a blanket statement about either's popularity and usefulness and have it true across the board.

totally true :)

17. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I understand what you mean and I wasn't discrediting them entirely. I leave room for me to be proven wrong. I do agree with the breed being fairly new that not much has been done in the dairy aspect with them. If someone can figure out a way to be profitable with them (other than breeding stock or showing) then all the power to them! They were able to take an animal that most people thought was just for fun or thought of as just a family milker and make money. I would love to see it.

Exactly, I completely agree with you here. For some people it will be a never ending battle of dairy vs meat and it hinders a person capabilities to learn from other people. So sad.

18. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Hm. Like everyone else, it's just one person's opinion. Although, around my neck of the woods (centre county, pa) more and more boers are popping up in backyards. it's hard to find a goat dairy that is NOT Amish based.

19. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I honestly think a lot of it is how we handle our animals. Now, I'm going to make exceptions for you lovely Boer people on this board - you seem to really care about each of your does...but when you're raising a meat animal (in general), the idea is to raise them, fatten them, and get them the heck off your farm. It's a different story with Dairy, which lends dairy to smaller numbers - here, the whole idea is longevity, you want your dairy does to produce well, and in order to do that you can't treat them "like an industry". They are finding that in dairy cows as well, that the more comfortable the cows, the more plentiful and nutritious the milk. You can't raise dairy well on a huge farm where you don't know the does as closely - it just won't work that way.

The only reason that the stigma bothers me in the least is that we're squeezing our dairy farmers out of business, like we're doing with all small farms, due to our regulations etc.

Personally, I believe that eventually I'll be in the dairy industry (as of right now, I'm very much in the hobby farm area, honing my skills so that it can become my job), but I'm not interested in quantity but rather, quality. Industry doesn't necessarily = big, which is a common mistake that we in the US make.

As far as Nigi's go, our plans are to have a variety of breeds to make up our herd milk. We have Nubians for their butterfat and production, Mini-Alpine for her butterfat and production, will be birthing our first Mini-Nubians this year for butterfat and production, but we're keeping some pure Nigis in the herd for added butterfat. We like the butterfat, as it helps to produce great cream and cheeses (it also tastes really good as fluid milk, but that's not our primary reason for having dairy goats).

That's my .02, that and a few bucks will get you a candy bar :)