Hmm ... odd buck?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Apr 5, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So my boer buck Padre has been running with the does for 5 weeks, I was gonna pull him out after a 6 wk joining period, except that he got out and walked over to the bachelor pad and was standing at the gate waiting for me to let him in lol funny boy so he came out a week early but no big deal.

During the 5 wks, I saw him actually mounting a couple of them, saw the white discharge on some of the others, and the black marks on their sides from his dirty legs. So I am fairly confident that he's working fine.

Charlotte the harlot was the only one that I didnt see anything happening with, ie no actual mating, no discharge, no dirty sides etc.

Anyway, yesterday Charlotte I noticed was in season. Piddling and flagging and yelling her head off. So I grabbed her, grabbed Padre from the bachelor pad and put them in a spare yard. She was in standing heat yesterday when I put them in, and I saw him mount her once, then for the rest of the day he was pretty pathetic. He would rub all over her and blubber at her but no mounting. She was getting frustrated and trying to mount him.

Then today, I noticed he is really keen - chasing her round, blubbering and TRYING TO MOUNT HER ALL DAY - but she's not in standing heat anymore, didnt want to have much to do with him.

Why would he do that?

Should I be worried about the others and their preg status?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Maybe he was just tuckered out??

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I think if you keep them together a couple more days she'll come back around. My sheep used to do that. Sometimes the boys just need to build up their interest. And the girls play a little hard to get for awhile.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is frustrating.....that's what started happening with an older buck I had... a long time ago ...he seemed to be lazy and doing what you are describing....he did breed some ..but he was really lazy and slow.....he would mount and not bring "it" out....so of course we sold him.....because it was hit and miss..... :sigh:

Also sometimes....... if we feed them certain grains...like a show goat type product... it makes them Lazy.....I think there is something in it... to avoid strong desire because of being shown....
    If you are feeding that type of thing ....stop giving a while before breeding season... :wink:

How old is the buck?

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Pam, he was just on cereal hay, and two weeks before joining I introduced him to feed (calf pellets, 18% protein, which is what I use for everyone) so he was getting about 400g per day, to give him a bit of reserves before joining but mainly because the doe herd is getting the pellets so I wanted him to be used to them.

He's roughly 18 months ... this is the first time he's been with does, but he'd had 5 weeks of joining before meeting miss harlot, I would expect this type of behaviour the first one or two times he ever got to join a doe, but not now. He's had seven other does before charlotte.

He strikes me as a very laid back buck ... he does a lot of rubbing and loving on the girls when they are in season, but he's not exactly a gung ho agressive breeder. As opposed to Heath my angora boy, he is blubbering at them and mounting ALL THE TIME lol

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow... he is a young buck....that is odd that he is doing that..... :scratch:
    I really can't tell ya ......what is up with him then.... :(

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yeah, I'm :scratch: my head as well, but we will see when the preg scanning is done, if it turns out he has done a poor job he can head off to freezer camp with the other culls. I actually have another buck prospect I am looking at - heaviest muscled yearling buck I've ever seen - got a butt on him a bit like your goats. Terrible colouring on his head which is why these people are getting rid of him.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Go for the new buck.. :D ..hey...sounds like he may be worth it...... :wink:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    hmm, problem with this other buck. Talked to the guy today and he said the buck attacked him a few days ago, rammed into him and was twisting his horns, real nasty, then tried to do it again later. So I dont think that buck will be coming here. He'd never done it before but he's not one that you can trust now. He's headed for freezer camp.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh that is to bad keren ...oh well ...you will find one someday... :wink:

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    The buck who bred Demi and attempted to breed Harmony was exactly the same! He took about 2 hours standing there to even serve Harmony once. It was really irritating. Lots of blubbering... he would mount and then slip off... etc etc

LW