The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son called me at work today to tell me that the entire herd was in the small pen with the "baby girls ". He and his sister had already taken the girls out and moved them to a different pen, but this is what I found when I arrived. This gate WAS as sturdy is heck and made from two by sixes. AND, the girls were kept off of it from the inside by a cattle panel gate about four feet away. Hmmmmm.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,671 Posts
lol..some one wanted the girls feed perhaps lol

oh no..lol.he wanted the girls not the feed..poor babies...yep grab some lute just in case

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So,...I fixed the gate. Actually my husband and daughter did. But I got home from work today to find the buck back in the small pen with the babies. Aaarrrrrggggg! At least I haven't given them the lute yet. Walked out to see how bad the damage was. No damage.....gate just standing open.....what the heck?!?! ....and then it hit me.....the newly fortified and rehung gate has a nice sturdy latch ON THE BUCK'S SIDE. :eek::confused: sheesh....I'm such a rookie!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Oh no! :laugh: If it makes you feel better, Patti got out on me yesterday. To get in and out of the goat pen, you have to go through the chicken yard. So, she knows that when we go on walks, I take her through the chicken yard. I got home last night from helping my sister set up her apartment, and the door to the goat pen was SHUT, but Patti was not in there. Patti was shut into the chicken pen, calling for me to come and rescue her.

My only guess is that Patti opened the latch, and Ginger closed it behind her. The two are always together, and are ALWAYS looking for ways to prank each other.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He he he! Axykatt, he is such a sweet guy, but since his breeding season started I have begun to look at him a little crossways :p I mean, goats' mating habits are just weird! But I draw the line at the baby girls!!! Right now the line is a little vague:D but I have moved them to a pen on the other side of the property so hopefully his lewd and lecherous behavior will be restricted to the main herd. (Truth is, I am so pleased, watching him in with the girls. He is so happy and growing before my eyes. I keep imagining all those sweet babies that are coming.....happy sigh.)

Danielle, actually that does help. Goats are so clever! Just like with my own children, it amuses me to be outsmarted (temporarily :D) by them. Or watching them be ornery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts