The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started about 5 this eavning. we were feeding the goats and my wife said tomorrow we should have goats start kidding so lets move them to the kidding barns. we walked out in the pasture and Hot tamale had a realy nice doe kid standing by her. I guess we are starting kidding today.
we moved the 6 does that were expecting wasn't as easy with the new kid but we got it done. I got the tractor and moved a hay feeder in to the kidding area. after i had placed the feeder i noticed another doe Lindsey woolsy looking like she was kidding. yup she was and with in minutes she had a nice buckling so we moved her in to the barn. we were not ready so we went and gathered the things we needed like spray for the unbilicel cords wormer. we also got two buckets of warm Molasses water.when we got back we were bummed to find Woolsy had had another kid but it was dead.

as we fed the does that had had kids I noticed that pistachio was in labor. the birth was different the kid was born with the feet up and the kid on its back. we fished the feet out and pulled him and no sooner did we get him out and his sister shoots out. I took the first kid he was in rough shape my wife took the second kid and started to clean her up. the kid i had was having trouble breathing and took some work to keep help him remember to breath.
as i was working on the kid i looked up and noticed that woolsy kid was a doe not a buck. said to my wife i thought you said woolsy had a buck that is a doe she looks up and said you are right.
before we got the kids dry Pistachio had another kid. this girl got up and started to hunt for food. i watcher her fall and her head slowly sunk like she was going to sleep. she rolled over on her side. I cursed that was not right and i be danged if i was going to loose another kid today.I picked her up and she was already cold.I opened my coat slid the little girl in my coat

about this time my wife said i just herd another kid out side the barn. she goes out and there is another buckling. but who was the mother. a quick check of the three does that we have yet to kid we could see it was not them. So we look at the three does that had kidded. we decided the most likely mother would be Woolsy. we dropped the kid in the pen with her and boy was woolsy a happy girl.

This is what we think happened. when we went to get the supplies we left the door open to the barn. Woolsy gave birth to the second kid. the second kid born in a set of triplets is often born breech and with out our help suffocated during birth. while Woolsy was giving birth the buckling walked out the door. Woolsy then gave birth to a doeling . when we came back we thought the doeling was the buckling and put them in the bonding pen.

the night is not done yet i still have a kid in my coat.
I send my wife in to find the bottles and warm the kid up i would milk some milk for the kid.
When got in the house my wife said i think we are loosing her. the bottle was not going to work so i fished out a stomic tube. as i pulled the tube out my wife hangs a stomic tub in front of me. it was half the diamater of the one in my hand perfect for the Nigie kid. I slid the tub down the kids throat and poured 4 cc of milk in it.
long story short it is 4am and the kids are still with us.
Ho what a night.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
OMG let me go get some POPCORN. Your stories are great! Love the attitude" not loseing another kid!". Congrats on all the new kids. Keep me posted on the rest of your does. And give us some pictures please. When are your sheep due? Are they getting close too?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh my goodness that must have been stressful! Congratulations! Kidding time is always so exciting and hectic!
It was hectic but because of the experience we have kidding and lambing it was not stressful. in fact it was fun. Even though i am tired today i am happy

Just an update pistachio is a first time freshener and didn't want to let the kids suck. but after i milked her out sucking didn't hurt any longer and is doing well.
we still have the one in the house. the crazy kid will not suck unless i am rocking her in the rocking chair. crazy.
We think her problem was
new born kids body has not had to maintain its temp. some kids body temp takes 24 hours to stabilize.
i think that is what we dealt with last night. I have never seen such a dramatic case though.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My sheep lamb starting the 15th of may . I will start flushing my ewes on thanks giving and turning the rams out on the 15th of December
for those that dont know i have 250 ewes this year .
I REALLY want to get sheep! My husband grew up on a sheep ranch up north and he's looking to find sheep now. Unfortunately there aren't many to find in Texas.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts