Hobby Farms magazine

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sweetgoats, Dec 10, 2008.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Does anyone get that Magazine? I do and it is good..

The one I got yesterday is a really good one. I lady wrote about a deworming problem that she had. Sue Waver wrote a article in the last one that said to deworm according tot the results of a fecal float only. Well this lady wrote back in and said that she always did a fecal float and it only showed Coccidia and that is all she ever treated. She then said that she almost lost her goat from a worm overload. The Vet told her to use Ivermectin Orally and also sue Valbazen. She did and a couple days later she said she found pieces of tapeworms in the pellets.

So what is your guess about this? I say she had no idea how to do a fecal float accurate and that was the problem.

They also talk about laws and what to do igf your animals are killed and how to try to track it to the neighbors dogs.

And they had a little article about CAE.

I have been getting this magazine for about 6 months and this is the best one I have seen yet.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like some good articles.

Yah if she was doing her own fecal floats she probably wasnt seeing the eggs as she should have been.

Thats why I do my own but will be having a vet periodically check to see if I am being accurate.

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    We get this magazine and the Countryside magazine, both are great reads.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We used to get it but just didn't renew this past summer. I like it well enough. Wish we had that latest one. . . . that does sound interesting.