hoeggers wormer

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AlaskaBoers, May 21, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Hey
    I got three bags of the hoeggers worm compound from a friend who is getting out of goats
    ingredients;
    worm wood, genetian, fennel, psyllium, quassia

have you guys ever used this?
    results?

I know worm wood is dangerous for preggo does...but that's all i know!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Never heard of it.... How do you give it?

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    top dress 1 1/2 teaspoons per adult.

4. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    A goat friend uses the hoegger wormer - not sure its the same you have, honestly. I think hers is a powder that she mixes with molasses. Yours sounds like a liquid?

She doses her goats once a week with it and frankly, I think it is totally worthless. One of her goats passed this winter and I'm pretty sure it was because of a high parasite load.

Its not that I don't think natural things like garlic, etc will keep a parasite load down, I'm just not sure that the combo hoegger sells works.

From my limited knowledge of western herbs, most of the ingredients you listed are used for parasites and purging so in theory I suppose it could work, but probably not if you had a high load.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We used to use hoegger's herbal wormer and it is kind of worthless. They goats never ate it, and I think the combination is off anyway so I don't know how effective it was. Wormwood in large amounts is unsafe for pregnant does, but we've wormed pregnant does with a wormer that had wormwood with no adverse effects. We use an herbal wormer that is mixed up by Kat Drovdahl of Fir Meadow LaManchas that works great.

In all honesty, if you just want to get rid of it so it doesn't go to waste, mix the wormer with molasses and make balls, and give your goats two or three teaspoon sized balls once a week.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    But I should add don't use the hoegger wormer on pregnant animals, there is too much wormwood in it for them.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    eh...

yeah it's the powdered stuff.

I'll just stick with what I'm using now, Ivomec, Valbazen

anyone want three full bags? you pay shipping, and each i'll sell for $5. that's a huge discount...

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do a craigslist add ....maybe someone will take it... :wink:

9. dtincoelemari

dtincoelemari New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Arizona
    I 100% agree with what goat happy said wormwood is bad stuff. It can cause abortions if used for pregnant does. Over long periods of time it can cause seizuers and it has also been proven to cause mental illness issues and to big a dose can cause death. Wormwood has it place and can be very usefull with treating parasites but I won't use it unless I absolutly have too.
    Quassia bark is also unsafe for pregnant does and long term use can cause irritation in the digestive tract and too much causes nausea and vomiting. It also has been found to cause infertility .
    I use mugwort in the herbal wormer I make and it is said to cause females to miscarry and is used to quicken labor and for this reason I am considering removing it. I have been using it for about 1 year and 1/2 with no issues but it still has me a little worried. Im on the search now for a good replacement =)

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Eww.... :( sounds bad....it is best to stay away from it... IMO.... :shocked:

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    It went in the trash a few weeks back. not a bad choice though!

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California